• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lacoste or Burberry polos?

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
Which is the better polo, holds color, lasts longer, looks better, higher quality? Lacoste or Burberry?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lacoste by a landslide............../ thread.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many of both brands and I haven't noticed any discernible differences in quality.

cmacey

Reaction score
I have a buddy who is dedicated to Burberry. I on the other hand am dedicated to Lacoste.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has a couple of each in my closet:

- they're both brand-whore polos (everyone recognizes them)
- both overpriced
- both reasonable quality and will stand up to repeated washing over quite some time before falling apart
- both lose their softness before you would expect/hope (full disclosure: I don't use fabric softener)

So you could do better than either of these options, but you could also do a lot worse (AE).

I stopped wearing them in favour of Morphine Generation, Dsquared, and RLPL polos, all of which either come unbranded or feature branding most people don't recognize and associate with something obnoxious

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Lacoste

In my experience, the collars on Burberry polos don't retain their shape.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
As someone who has a couple of each in my closet:

- they're both brand-whore polos (everyone recognizes them)
- both overpriced
- both reasonable quality and will stand up to repeated washing over quite some time before falling apart
- both lose their softness before you would expect/hope (full disclosure: I don't use fabric softener)

So you could do better than either of these options, but you could also do a lot worse (AE).

I stopped wearing them in favour of Morphine Generation, Dsquared, and RLPL polos, all of which either come unbranded or feature branding most people don't recognize and associate with something obnoxious

Do you think as many people recoginze the Burberry logo as the Lacoste logo? Everyone knows Lacoste, but I doubt as many people recognize Burberry.

I don't see many people wearing Burberry, but every other guy has the RL polo logo.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say a very high proportion of random people walking down the street will recognize the Burberry logo of the knight, the ones who can't name Burberry still noting it is "some expensive brand."

And for those who really don't have any idea what the knight means, most Burberry polos feature the nova check somewhere either on the collar reverse, sleeve cuffs, on the bottom piece of the placket, or on some other supposedly subtle area for extra brand name-dropping.

Made in California

Reaction score
My first post in MC in a while so I will do it in black. "Lacoste or Burberry?" is a very ugly question. As if these are the only two brands that exist. Where is the "neither" selection? The sad thing about people who wear Lacoste and Burberry is that you're brand-whoring the weakest stuff ever. Although I'm against clothes with logos for the most part, I fully endorse having a couple items with brand recognition, because there is a time and place for everything. Like if you're going to be going to college parties to hook up with drunk chicks, for example, a brand-whore polo would be a very good choice for an evening. But here is my take on the brands: They make you look like a tool and at the same time like a boring, golf playing, middle-income, white, dorkus malorkus who's trying too hard. At least if you had a Gucci polo you'd have *some* exclusivity because most people can't or won't afford it and it doesn't have a nerd-trying-to-look-affluent image associated with it. Value for money, Polo holds up very well and is a bit cheaper. The reason they're not mentioned is because I assume we're going for brand recognition so you opted for a couple of slightly more expensive (but still relatively cheap) brands. So in that case, Ralph Lauren has little competition at every price point, including Black Label polos, which come with a much rarer "RL" logo that will at least not be totally pathetic. Also, their RLPL polos have a nice amount of stretch and a sheen to them that makes them look luxurious and you get them with no logo, small logo, or large double horse logo (I forget what it is actually called, you can see the smaller version on the RL website). And why no mention of Fred Perry? They're as pervasive as Polo RL in EU, but relatively uncommon in US compared to the other brands mentioned, and they've got some cool stuff like a polo made with 22% copper. I fully concede that this is tl;dr but god, you just look so ******* stupid with that alligator. I am not exaggerating here: I can't name one person I know who I think is cool who owns a Lacoste or Burberry polo (no offense to the SF posters, I don't know you guys in person so maybe it's possible?). The one person I know who adored Lacoste was my freshman roommate in college, and literally everyone who met him thought he was a giant tool. There is a whole world of fashion brands out there, many of which will make your unknowledgeable, middle-income female acquaintances cream themselves. Rather than go drop $70 on a Lacoste or Burberry, wait for a sale on something nice and rare. For example, the last time I spent $70 on a polo it was on a John Varvatos silk/cotton blend polo that was originally $200, it's one of the nicest shirts I own and with no logo it still oozes "this is an expensive shirt." Only because I can't resist being helpful: If you insist on going for Lacoste, which it seems at the start there was a 50% chance of, spring for either the Club line which is a little more expensive and a lot less common. The logo is much more nicely done and doesn't look like it was stamped on as an afterthought. OR the vintage line where the alligator is much larger, but is the same color as the shirt. I don't think I've ever seen this on someone in person, but it looks kind of cool. The Lacoste polos shrink a lot and continue to shrink after the first wash, so size up. But seriously, go on Yoox and grab a Dior bumblebee polo. GoldenTribe: Can you give more info on Morphine Generation?

NYliGuy

Reaction score
I'm thinking in terms of wearing a polo shirt with jeans, and I dislike RLPL since the cut has the back longer than the front.

Owing a few lacoste and burberry polos, I like the fit of the burberry slightly better but both are great in quality and comfort. Burberry has longer arms, which I like. I can buy a size down so it's length is by my waist line and still have a good length on the arms. Lacoste is shorter on my arms, so I can't get a smaller size so the fit is longer than I'd like.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
GoldenTribe: Can you give more info on Morphine Generation?

I don't know that much about them except they were among the vanguard of $100+ designer t-shirt brands 3-4 years ago but they actually slashed their prices without any fuss from $115/tee down to about $70/tee when the recession hit, before other brands starting doing the exact same thing and going on and on about how amazing and considerate they were to their consumers (oy vey).

Now it's pretty hard to find, mostly stuff on eBay, and their diffusion line(?), MG Black, has sales on Gilt once in a while though I never see anything I like.

In general MG is nothing at all like RLPL, even in terms of polos -- much lower price point and very different sensibilities. They definitely like their graphics, but I usually find the designs quirky and interesting as opposed to branding-packed logoing. I own 6 of their tees, one pair of khaki shorts, one blazer, two cardigan-hoodies, and two polos, and the material on all is very nice. (Full disclosure, though, I bought all my pieces >1.5 years ago so I have no idea if quality has changed; back when I was actively searching out MG pieces the brand seemed to be more active in general and certainly didn't have a secondary/diffusion line.)

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Now it's pretty hard to find, mostly stuff on eBay, and their diffusion line(?), MG Black, has sales on Gilt once in a while though I never see anything I like.
MG Black is on sale today, in fact, I saw the sale earlier this morning and didn't make the connection so I was able to peruse a few items (no polos). I like the tee with the birds on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads