• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDutchman

Reaction score
Picked up a knit Talbott for Nordstrom. Nice 3.35" width, looks like it was warn once. They had an older Dior tie... Didn't know what to think it though.
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg

Stewie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Pre 1970 (I think) Levis had their name written in all capitol letters on the little red tab on the back pockets. This is referred to the "Big E" tag. After this, Levis only capitalized the L. The "Big E" stuff is highly collectible. Keep your eyes peeled for it.

Big E

c4d5_2.JPG

Newer Levis:

levis135thbirthday.jpg

My two cents on vintage levis. Don't just expect that if the capital E is there that the denim is going to be worth a lot. Levis made so many jeans, jackets, etc that condition and look makes all the difference in price. A "Big E" jacket or jeans that have been washed and washed and have faded to the light blue have practically no extra value added to them even if they are "Big E". Japanese collectors are looking for either NOS items or denim that has good "hige". Hige is the term that is used to describe the wear patterns the jeans or jackets get from everyday use such as in the crotch area or on the elbows of a jacket, or even that ring on the back pocket from where you keep your chewing tobacco. The denim Levis used from before the early 80's was a different type than on the 501's you buy today. That denim was dyed with indigo much better and allowed for the patterns to show up just from wearing them. In reality, the washer and dryer also killed the ability to get these patterns as they washed out all the indigo much faster then when mom did hanging them out on the clothesline to dry. The market on vintage levis is fierce, and in the 90's Levis started reissuing patterns of jeans and jackets using the cone denim and the "Big E" label because of this. If theres a taq that says made in italy, japan, etc these are reissues of the vintage jeans/jackets. Now in saying that, since these were expensive to buy originally, they still command a premium over just the regular Levis being sold today.

Take a look at this websitehttp://www.levisguide.com/
for some good info to get you started on identifying what to look for when thrifting.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another 46R here. Measurements and prices would be great.
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Both are in the 46R-48R (US) territory.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a consignment shop today that I have only been to once before. Last time, I left empty handed. This time, they had at least a dozen recent Zegna ties for $15 each, and actually nice patterns. The lady working told me that the guy consigning them brought in a whole garbage bag full of them last month but someone came in and bought a bunch a few weeks ago. I picked out the two best ones (one is a seven fold) and a couple of pocket squares for $40 and felt grateful since it has been so dry here lately.

At my other spot, I saw vintage BB cashmere v neck in great condition and my size. But I left it because I didn't think I could rock a strawberry colored sweater. Also left a couple of Haspel jackets. Anyone know much about this brand? One seemed pretty nice and came from a higher end men's store. The other one was cashmere, but made in China. Another example of a once decent brand going downhill?

mco543

Reaction score
Today I left behind a Karl Lagerfeld charcoal grey pinstriped DB that according to the composition tag was a Mink and Cashmere blend. I was baffled as I've never seen Mink used for a suit before. The jacket fit was very wonky and the red pinstripes are a dealbreaker for me unless its something that is truly remarkable and fits great.

edit: Also left behind a black and white stripe RLPL polo that was a medium if anyone's interested.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally outside my usual acquisitions; I need a new sofa because the cat keeps clawing the current one. I went to the factory store and hiding in the corner was a leather version of what we currently have, with a faulty leg. $2400 down to $160 - yes please! Even the staff couldn't believe the price, but I paid up quickly before they changed their mind...

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Went to a consignment shop today that I have only been to once before. Last time, I left empty handed. This time, they had at least a dozen recent Zegna ties for $15 each, and actually nice patterns. The lady working told me that the guy consigning them brought in a whole garbage bag full of them last month but someone came in and bought a bunch a few weeks ago. I picked out the two best ones (one is a seven fold) and a couple of pocket squares for $40 and felt grateful since it has been so dry here lately.

At my other spot, I saw vintage BB cashmere v neck in great condition and my size. But I left it because I didn't think I could rock a strawberry colored sweater. Also left a couple of Haspel jackets. Anyone know much about this brand? One seemed pretty nice and came from a higher end men's store. The other one was cashmere, but made in China. Another example of a once decent brand going downhill?

how much was the bb sweater? id be interested in the BB cashmere if its an XL and not too much trouble for you to pick it up. Can either trade you something or paypal you money

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
Today I left behind a Karl Lagerfeld charcoal grey pinstriped DB that according to the composition tag was a Mink and Cashmere blend. I was baffled as I've never seen Mink used for a suit before. The jacket fit was very wonky and the red pinstripes are a dealbreaker for me unless its something that is truly remarkable and fits great.

edit: Also left behind a black and white stripe RLPL polo that was a medium if anyone's interested.

how much for the polo? May fit a buddy of mine.

hyakku

Reaction score
Picked up the cashmere SC I grabbed a few days back from the tailor, looks amazing now. Also a pick of the three recent shoe finds and the other ferragamo's cleaned up (the brown AE Camden Loafers went to my roommate as they were too big. Two new ones are the Ferragamo Loafers and the J&M Oxford's):
img0152v.jpg

mco543

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
how much for the polo? May fit a buddy of mine.

Pretty sure it was $8.00

The stripes were horizontal

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marked size 44, but I didn't try it on. Made in Great Britain. I think it was $10.

Originally Posted by csoukoulis
how much was the bb sweater? id be interested in the BB cashmere if its an XL and not too much trouble for you to pick it up. Can either trade you something or paypal you money

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I found this and it's really cool but I was wondering if anyone knew who the maker was. I could put this in the ID thread but it doesn't get as much traffic.

qq4fg2.jpg

1zlbrj9.jpg

w7eszo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads