• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
Tom, you're a swell guy. I'm sure that if you could, you would bless us all on SF with a pair of Ravello shell NST monk straps. Personally I don't mind that all the special make ups are not so easily attainable. If it were so, then everyone here with enough money would probably have all the same shoes. As it stands, there will always be that special pair of Aldens that each individual here is coveting and keeping a constant eye out for. Because of this, when someone finally obtains that pair, it makes it all that much sweeter.

Thanks for understanding.

Originally Posted by sazon
To think that there is so much demand for $500-700 shoes is quite amazing.

We probably tend not to think about it that way, but to the outsider, imagine the thought of it.

I agree. People are shocked when they hear.

Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'll also be honest in saying I don't exactly strike up conversations with the SA every time I go into a new store...

SA are people too.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
lol totally unfair ...

Yeah, obviously I cheat.

Originally Posted by ChrisGold
From the perspective of someone who runs a medium sized business... when you couple a 9 month wait (and often 3 months for "stock" shoes) can you imagine them NOT having a price increase?

And, remember... their customer base has probably dropped in age by 20 years or more, which is very healthy for business.

Yeah, seriously. Backlog is crazy at the factory. You gotta figure too, we are not Alden's only customer. Japan and Europe are ordering Aldens like crazy. Even Korea just started carrying Aldens. There's demand all over the world.

Originally Posted by borderline
No longwings at all?

Had a pair of #975s but gave it to my dad. I've given him about 15 pairs so my collection would be much more if I didn't.

i wonder what tom's ENTIRE shoe collection looks like since he def has to have at least a few from all the other nice brands he carries

I have about 30 other pairs but still, when I'm trying to choose shoes to wear in the morning there's always something that I wish I had for the day.

Originally Posted by number9dream
Great points! With so many people in their 20's and 30's investing in multiple pairs of quality shoes, Alden is solidifying its reputation for years to come. Alden's willingness to craft "special run" shoes designed by retailers who possess an updated fashion sense (Leather Soul, Epaulet, Blackbird, etc) has greatly contributed to their revitalization. The styles are still classic, but their presentation is updated and semi-exclusive.

Allen Edmonds (whose shoes I quite like for my day-to-day professional needs) could take a few pointers from Alden in this regard. The AE design team is too stodgy, too midwestern (fur-lined pink leather slippers? really?!), too mired in mid-level management. If they opened up their design process to special-run retailers, maybe their sales would increase (and fewer SFers would wretch when they hear the name!)

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my special-run pre-ordered Hawaiian Tankers in brown Chromexcel from LS!!!

Great point. Men in their 50s-70s are still buying but now their sons and grandsons are also buying. Ex-sneakerheads are looking for something new to collect. My customer base ranges from 15-75.

Chromexcel tankers coming next week btw!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Renton
Not if you need an e width.
frown.gif

Well, if you don't mind the wait, I'm sure they will order you one on their next run. Try calling them up and asking for the owner, I think his name is Joe or Ed.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
Not if you need an e width.
frown.gif

I feel your pain, believe me. I am a an E width and a size 5.5 to 6 in aldens. ALmost impossible to get unless they are special ordred. As of uyet I have not convinced the guys at Shoemart to let me order and shell in my size. They keep telling me it would be expensive. At over 600 dollars, what is another 100 or so to make sure oyu have something that not everyone has.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I need to open up a shoe store.

david3558

Reaction score
Can't decide which one to get:

tank21.jpg

tank22.jpg

tank24.jpg

What do you guys think? As much as I'd love to, I can't purchase both!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always admired pictures of other people's #8 shell PTB's but kept spending money on "special make-ups" the last few years. After a while I realized that I really had to get a pair for myself. Enjoy these photos.

Library-2555.jpg

Library-2566.jpg

Library-2558.jpg

Library-2567.jpg

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Miniw - So simple and beautiful - I thought they were too plain, then I bought a pair and love them. Very versatile.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Can't decide which one to get:

tank21.jpg

What do you guys think? As much as I'd love to, I can't purchase both!

Is your size in stock?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Miniw - So simple and beautiful - I thought they were too plain, then I bought a pair and love them. Very versatile.

yeah seeing the LHS' nassau blucher and the pic from getsmart wearing his ptb makes me really want one in any make up. i also thought they were too plain but they look amazing

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ex-sneakerheads are looking for something new to collect. My customer base ranges from 15-75.
Story of my life. Went from Nike's and Jordan's to Aldens. Albeit I still buy sneakers, just ones that are of higher quality.

The reason I grew to really like Alden is that overall it fits me. The quality at the price point and the many colors/styles. I would love to have some EG's, but their $1,000 price point is a bit too expensive for my blood at the moment.

About a year back, I bought a pair of AE wing tip from Nordstrom Rack for about $200 (I think). I wore them only a few times and thought the quality was mediocre at best. I feel like they were a waste of money, yet I don't feel the same about Aldens.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Story of my life. Went from Nike's and Jordan's to Aldens. Albeit I still buy sneakers, just ones that are of higher quality.

The reason I grew to really like Alden is that overall it fits me. The quality at the price point and the many colors/styles. I would love to have some EG's, but their $1,000 price point is a bit too expensive for my blood at the moment.

About a year back, I bought a pair of AE wing tip from Nordstrom Rack for about $200 (I think). I wore them only a few times and thought the quality was mediocre at best. I feel like they were a waste of money, yet I don't feel the same about Aldens.

you just described me, my friend, to the letter. sneakerhead to now alden head. was also not impressed with AE but grabbing for $75 at the rack and being my first "nice" dress shoe it was fine. i had previously only experienced cole haan and kenneth cole during hs & college

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you just described me, my friend, to the letter. sneakerhead to now alden head. was also not impressed with AE but grabbing for $75 at the rack and being my first "nice" dress shoe it was fine. i had previously only experienced cole haan and kenneth cole during hs & college
Haha. Likewise! My first dress shoes were Kenneth Cole when they were on sale at Macy's and had a pair of Cole Haan during my last year of undergrad. Square toe Kenneth Cole's too.
frown.gif

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
I always admired pictures of other people's #8 shell PTB's but kept spending money on "special make-ups" the last few years. After a while I realized that I really had to get a pair for myself. Enjoy these photos.

MiniW,

Where from? Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics