• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abuse Me for being an English Major (Then Suggest Something Better)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he did say he was good at and enjoys art, poetry and performance.

i hesitate to offer specific advice in those fields since i know little about them, but if you can't make it (the art or the performance), you can sell it or market it on behalf of those who do. a business or communications degree mite be an option for you..

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Sleep 4 hours a night for a year? Oh my god, why do I know who I know?
laugh.gif
I know how you feel.

matt22616

Reaction score
I went to a small liberal arts school and studied the Canon because I had the privilege and opportunity to do so. Complaining about being an English major because of the lack of post-graduate job opportunities strikes me as somewhat odd, as my experience was that it prepared me for higher level critical analysis required in almost any non-technical profession.

I can honestly say that my ability to speak, read, and write are much higher than that of the average person, almost exclusively because of my course of study. Could you attain above average verbal skills otherwise? Of course. But it would almost certainly take you a lot longer than eight semesters studying under scholars of critical theory and linguistics.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
I can honestly say that my ability to speak, read, and write are much higher than that of the average person, almost exclusively because of my course of study.
I can guarantee that this is not the case.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
I can't stand people who tell other people to study accounting/petroleum engineering/nursing because "that's where the jobs are".

What do you like doing? Do you see any jobs in the future that you would like to do? Find out what it is you want to do and tailor your path accordingly.

This. A Juris Doctor doesn't matter **** if you have no interest in law and logic-based arguments. Even with all the talent in the world, you'll just set yourself up for a life time of complacency at best, misery at worse.

If you like "generalized art", i.e., things that have to do with art, but perhaps require little talent, then are many things you can do, and be very happy. If you like specific art, such as music playing, then go with it, or at the very least, develop it as a hobby. The most important thing is to find what makes you happy (other than cocaine and jerking off), and then find a career that best compliments that criterion. Do not pick a career just because there are lots of entry-level jobs available.

You will spend the rest of your life doing ________. Make sure you enjoy _________. (Remember, ___________ =/= cocaine or jerking off).

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize, however, that you can't necessarily do "what you love" all the time if you want to make a decent living. But I truly believe that there are paying jobs out there is a job out there for everyone. My current job isn't something I'm passionate about, but I do like it enough that I don't mind getting out of bed five days a week and doing it. That's not complacency either. It's a genuine interest.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand people who tell other people to study accounting/petroleum engineering/nursing because "that's where the jobs are".
Look into finance and accounting. That's where the jobs are.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Look into finance and accounting. That's where the jobs are.

Great idea! There are finance jobs for everyone!

Signed,

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea! There are finance jobs for everyone!

Signed,

lol8[1].gif
That was too easy.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
lol8[1].gif
That was too easy.

At least accounting is still hiring. All those bankrupt businesses need someone to put their books in order, I imagine...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
I went to a small liberal arts school and studied the Canon because I had the privilege and opportunity to do so. Complaining about being an English major because of the lack of post-graduate job opportunities strikes me as somewhat odd, as my experience was that it prepared me for higher level critical analysis required in almost any non-technical profession.

I can honestly say that my ability to speak, read, and write are much higher than that of the average person, almost exclusively because of my course of study. Could you attain above average verbal skills otherwise? Of course. But it would almost certainly take you a lot longer than eight semesters studying under scholars of critical theory and linguistics.

must. fight. urge. to. respond.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
must. fight. urge. to. respond.

yeah that guy's justification for his major was...well, the entire post was the dumbest i've read on this forum in atleast two days. which says a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads