• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Length of relationship, amount purchased, if you're a nice person
laugh.gif
, if you actually visited us or are a local customer, etc. All of those things are considered. We have about 5000 customers in our database so it's really hard for us to make everyone happy. Sorry to be so blunt about it.

No need to apologize, I like a concise answer. Hopefully putting my money in for a few of the boot preorders will start me down that long and lonely path.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
So chances of me finding cordovans in my size if I randomly go to the BH branch are slim to none, huh? I understand, gotta keep the loyal customers happy.

Almost zero chance at LSW but very good chance of random pairs at LSBH. In fact, I believe there's a few pairs available now.

Originally Posted by Renton
No need to apologize, I like a concise answer. Hopefully putting my money in for a few of the boot preorders will start me down that long and lonely path.

Really don't want to make people think they need to buy to get a chance. The main thing is relationships and (sorry to say since we're in Hawaii) being an in-store or local customer.

There's plenty of whiskey, ravello, and cigar at the Shoe Mart!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as impressive as Zippy's (I cheat) but here's my current list: #8 Shell Barrie NST Barrie Unlined PTB Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Van LHS Trubalance Indy Leydon Chukka Aberdeen Long Vamp Loafer Black Shell Barrie Chukka Barrie V-Tip Cigar Shell Trubalance Indy Ravello Shell Barrie Chukka Barrie Shortwing Whiskey Shell Barrie NST #4 Shell Barrie 4 Eyelet PTB Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Blucher Suede Barrie Tan Unlined Chukka Barrie Navy Unlined PTB Barrie Snuff NST Barrie Snuff PTB Barrie Snuff Shortwing Leydon Dark Brown Unlined Chukka Calf Barrie Chestnut/Navy Suede Saddle Plaza Black Patent PTBal Plaza Burgundy Attorney Shoe Plaza Chestnut Wingtip Bal Hampton Burgundy Flex V-Tip Modified Black V-Tip Modified Brown Perf Tip Blucher Tom Loden Flex Ranger Trubalance Brown Chromexcel Chukka Cape Cod Black Boat Shoe

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom, you're a swell guy. I'm sure that if you could, you would bless us all on SF with a pair of Ravello shell NST monk straps. Personally I don't mind that all the special make ups are not so easily attainable. If it were so, then everyone here with enough money would probably have all the same shoes. As it stands, there will always be that special pair of Aldens that each individual here is coveting and keeping a constant eye out for. Because of this, when someone finally obtains that pair, it makes it all that much sweeter.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'll be perfectly honest with you. We directly contact people when we get stuff like whiskey, #4, ravello, etc. (Unless it's for a special event such as our grand opening or anniversary, etc.) I wish we could accommodate the general public but we can't.

To think that there is so much demand for $500-700 shoes is quite amazing.

We probably tend not to think about it that way, but to the outsider, imagine the thought of it.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon

We probably tend not to think about it that way, but to the outsider, imagine the thought of it.

i'll also be honest in saying I don't exactly strike up conversations with the SA every time I go into a new store...

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon

From the perspective of someone who runs a medium sized business... when you couple a 9 month wait (and often 3 months for "stock" shoes) can you imagine them NOT having a price increase?

And, remember... their customer base has probably dropped in age by 20 years or more, which is very healthy for business.

borderline

Reaction score
No longwings at all?

Not as impressive as Zippy's (I cheat) but here's my current list:

#8 Shell
Barrie NST
Barrie Unlined PTB
Barrie 2 Tone Saddle
Van LHS
Trubalance Indy
Leydon Chukka
Aberdeen Long Vamp Loafer

Black Shell
Barrie Chukka
Barrie V-Tip

Cigar Shell
Trubalance Indy

Ravello Shell
Barrie Chukka
Barrie Shortwing

Whiskey Shell
Barrie NST

#4 Shell
Barrie 4 Eyelet PTB
Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Blucher

Suede
Barrie Tan Unlined Chukka
Barrie Navy Unlined PTB
Barrie Snuff NST
Barrie Snuff PTB
Barrie Snuff Shortwing
Leydon Dark Brown Unlined Chukka

Calf
Barrie Chestnut/Navy Suede Saddle
Plaza Black Patent PTBal
Plaza Burgundy Attorney Shoe
Plaza Chestnut Wingtip Bal
Hampton Burgundy Flex V-Tip
Modified Black V-Tip
Modified Brown Perf Tip Blucher
Tom Loden Flex Ranger
Trubalance Brown Chromexcel Chukka
Cape Cod Black Boat Shoe

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wonder what tom's ENTIRE shoe collection looks like since he def has to have at least a few from all the other nice brands he carries

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
From the perspective of someone who runs a medium sized business... when you couple a 9 month wait (and often 3 months for "stock" shoes) can you imagine them NOT having a price increase?

And, remember... their customer base has probably dropped in age by 20 years or more, which is very healthy for business.

Great points! With so many people in their 20's and 30's investing in multiple pairs of quality shoes, Alden is solidifying its reputation for years to come. Alden's willingness to craft "special run" shoes designed by retailers who possess an updated fashion sense (Leather Soul, Epaulet, Blackbird, etc) has greatly contributed to their revitalization. The styles are still classic, but their presentation is updated and semi-exclusive.

Allen Edmonds (whose shoes I quite like for my day-to-day professional needs) could take a few pointers from Alden in this regard. The AE design team is too stodgy, too midwestern (fur-lined pink leather slippers? really?!), too mired in mid-level management. If they opened up their design process to special-run retailers, maybe their sales would increase (and fewer SFers would wretch when they hear the name!)

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my special-run pre-ordered Hawaiian Tankers in brown Chromexcel from LS!!!

cuteo101

Reaction score
You made the most meaningful argument point and the best comment in this whole gigantic thread! Cheers!
cheers.gif

Originally Posted by number9dream
Great points! With so many people in their 20's and 30's investing in multiple pairs of quality shoes, Alden is solidifying its reputation for years to come. Alden's willingness to craft "special run" shoes designed by retailers who possess an updated fashion sense (Leather Soul, Epaulet, Blackbird, etc) has greatly contributed to their revitalization. The styles are still classic, but their presentation is updated and semi-exclusive.

Allen Edmonds (whose shoes I quite like for my day-to-day professional needs) could take a few pointers from Alden in this regard. The AE design team is too stodgy, too midwestern (fur-lined pink leather slippers? really?!), too mired in mid-level management. If they opened up their design process to special-run retailers, maybe their sales would increase (and fewer SFers would wretch when they hear the name!)

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my special-run pre-ordered Hawaiian Tankers in brown Chromexcel from LS!!!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
Tom, you're a swell guy. I'm sure that if you could, you would bless us all on SF with a pair of Ravello shell NST monk straps. Personally I don't mind that all the special make ups are not so easily attainable. If it were so, then everyone here with enough money would probably have all the same shoes. As it stands, there will always be that special pair of Aldens that each individual here is coveting and keeping a constant eye out for. Because of this, when someone finally obtains that pair, it makes it all that much sweeter.

What size are you in the Hampton last? I have a pair of these sitting on my shelf looking sad they've never been worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads