• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

digilypse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
I'd take the drive and try on a size smaller. Call ahead, of course.
I don't think Brooks has anything smaller than 36S though. At least their size guide on their website stops at 36. I'm not aware of anywhere else that carries 34 or 35 either. Still wouldn't hurt to drop by and see what they have to say anyway though.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digilypse
The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders.

Buy Thick As Thieves (MTM); H&M and Zara have 34s for most of their stuff. If you have a thousand to throw around, try on some Dior suiting; it runs quite slim.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Brooks has anything smaller than 36S though. At least their size guide on their website stops at 36. I'm not aware of anywhere else that carries 34 or 35 either. Still wouldn't hurt to drop by and see what they have to say anyway though.

They will not have anything less than a 36S. And even for 36S, only some few stores carry them. I am also your size, and my experience is that it's very hard to find good fitting clothes. bespoke/MTM is pretty much the only reliable option(*).

(*) Some mall brands with fashion forward cuts may have things that fit, but quality is so low that I would never drop any $$ on them.

digilypse

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're all very much appreciated!

H&M xs usually fits me perfectly but then falls apart after less than year. It's an option but I was hoping for something a little nicer. TaT I'm also open to but no returns scare me, especially since I'm new to suits. The quality of online MTM just seems unreliable, I guess. I'll see if anywhere nearby has Dior I could try though.

I just noticed that Brooks and Hickey Freeman both have MTM services, would that be a good way to go? Are there other brands with MTM with a similar price point/value? I had looked at Zegna briefly but that seemed a bit more expensive than I was thinking.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Ok, which suede shoes ? You think dark brown captoe oxfords would look fine ?

Yes, great.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
Can you guys suggest some nice brow suede shoes with a rubber sole that I can wear casually with jean and a button down.

Bonus points if is or comes narrow.

Thanks.

I have (and love) these suede wingtips from J.Crew. Dainite sole, $158.

They are probably my go-to brown suede shoe, and for $158 you don't have to worry about messing them up.

2010-11-13c.jpg

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
No darts on the front.
A more detailed definition from a fashionising.com column: What is a sack suit? The name gives it away. A sack suit is a largely unshaped cut of suit. Though not literally like a sack, it features the same natural shoulders of the drape cut, but is devoid of any front darting. The front darting results in a suit that is hard to marry with the hourglass or V shaped cut preferred by most men. And despite being a classic, a quick check of my Mad Men DVDs reveals that the sack suit has even been abandoned by Don Draper for a drape cut come season two of the series. Of course, in saying that it's hard to marry the sack suit with a style preferred by the modern gent, I need to also point out that it's not impossible given some clever tailoring. The pictures Ralph Lauren have released (top and bottom) would indicate that they may have achieved just this, but there's nothing to say that they simply haven't pegged the suits and sportscoats to imply a slender cut in their look book; aficionados of the Ralph Lauren labels will know that this is common in both Blue Label and Purple Label look books. As for their explanation of the styling, for their Autumn / Fall 2010 collection Polo Ralph Lauren are keeping the undarted front but updating the overall cut from the classic:
The new sack suit "does away with darts and shoulder construction, but it's shorter length and two buttons keep it current."
It's likely that, in keeping with their American styling, the suits and sportscoats in the sack cut will also feature a single vent at the rear, as opposed to the double, British style venting also found in men's tailoring.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find wool dress socks in dark purple?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Where can I find wool dress socks in dark purple?
Viccel have purple (wool) and lilac (cotton). Not sure if its dark enough for you.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
Viccel have purple (wool) and lilac (cotton). Not sure if its dark enough for you.

Great. They seem to be better than what I have found so far. Thanks.

Yika

Reaction score
I've never had a proper suit before and needed one for interviews, so I ordered a BB Fitzgerald which arrived today. The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders. So my question is, can this suit be saved with tailoring, or is it a lost cause like I think it is? If it's hopeless, what's my next step? I'm not keen on ordering MTM over the internet if I can avoid it, nor do I want to drop 4k on bespoke just to get an interview suit. Something around 1k would be ideal.
If the shoulder fits well, the rest can be helped with tailoring. However, A 36S seem to be a bit big for 5'6. I cannot tell if the suit is too long from the picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads