• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abuse Me for being an English Major (Then Suggest Something Better)

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am having a real existential crisis. I'm coming back to school as a first year junior after a bit of a break and I foolishly chose to continue as an English major. Some godawful classes and good advice have finally made me see the light.

I was going to do a pre law certification with my english degree but everyone seems to think law school may be just as useless as anything these days.

What major should I switch to? I sadly cant do much in the way of advanced math or physics and everything I'm good at/enjoy (art, poetry, performance) seems to be equally useless. Right now I'm thinking one of the practical design fields (like furniture design) has a lot of appeal but that would mean switching to an art school where the tuition would be much higher then my modest state school.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get involved in politics. You can then major in any bullshit discipline and go work in the political world. No one in that field cares about your degree, they care about who you know/where you've worked/what you're willing to do.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Get involved in politics. You can then major in any bullshit discipline and go work in the political world. No one in that field cares about your degree, they care about who you know/where you've worked/what you're willing to do.

Yeah, obligatory
uhoh.gif
. You knew it was coming.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
So I am having a real existential crisis. I'm coming back to school as a first year junior after a bit of a break and I foolishly chose to continue as an English major. Some godawful classes and good advice have finally made me see the light.

I was going to do a pre law certification with my english degree but everyone seems to think law school may be just as useless as anything these days.

What major should I switch to? I sadly cant do much in the way of advanced math or physics and everything I'm good at/enjoy (art, poetry, performance) seems to be equally useless. Right now I'm thinking one of the practical design fields (like furniture design) has a lot of appeal but that would mean switching to an art school where the tuition would be much higher then my modest state school.

first - congratulations on getting back in school, and seeing the benefits of adding some professional direction to your study.

second - I don't think anyone thinks a law degree is useless per se, it's just that in the current market, the universities are spitting out like a thousand law grads for every worthwhile job in the field, and then upping their intake the next year in response to a seemingly never ending demand for placements in law schools.

To your question, rather than having us spit random course topics at you, why don't you tell us what you are interested in doing, what kind of career you would like to find yourself in, and then maybe we can help align what you have done in the past with what you'd like to do in the future.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Magi, good on you for getting back to studying and now with a thought to actual employment post-graduation.

Are you looking for employment with just and undergrad or is the plan to go on to graduate school? Maybe something along the lines of an MPA or MPH?

ms244

Reaction score
Nuclear Engineering

The math isn't really all that hard if you apply yourself and you'll be a better person afterward.

Also, make more money.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Go with a hard science. Something helped me get my next teaching job was that I was a science major capable of teaching biology/health as well as an English teacher. In the interview they told me that none of the other applicants had science degrees.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm the first person to ask this - what are you actually good at?

There is little point in recommending you go into Engineering when you can't calculate the square root of the distance between your taint and your asshole.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

Sleep 4 hours a night for a year? Oh my god, why do I know who I know?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Computer science / software engineering. Very little actual math involved. Mostly adding by 1 and multiplying by 2.
Eh. I don't know about when you graduated but most reputable CompSci programs I've seen have mathematical logic as foundational classes (typically in the form of Discrete Math). That being said, it's not hardcore arithmetic.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

To your question, rather than having us spit random course topics at you, why don't you tell us what you are interested in doing, what kind of career you would like to find yourself in, and then maybe we can help align what you have done in the past with what you'd like to do in the future.

+1

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand people who tell other people to study accounting/petroleum engineering/nursing because "that's where the jobs are".

What do you like doing? Do you see any jobs in the future that you would like to do? Find out what it is you want to do and tailor your path accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads