• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT - You help a student complete his wardrobe

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm happy I found this forum, so much ignorance and wasted money could have been averted if only I'd found it sooner.

I'm a first year student at an Ivy League law school here on the east coast. I'm from more rugged parts of the country myself, so most of what I know about suiting comes from my dad, who still thinks that black suits are appropriate daytime attire. I digress.

As I said, I'm a student on a student budget. I'll (more than likely) be working at some sort of public interest organization in an extremely hot locale this summer (low pay!) and interviewing at large firms (NY and elsewhere) in the early fall (still hot). My chances of landing one of those gigs is about 50/50, so its important for me to put the best possible foot forward – especially in this economy.

The way that interviewing works around here is that you get signed up to do about 20-30 "initial" interviews within the space of a week *yikes!* If a firm likes you they "call you back" to interview for a full day at their offices in Manhattan. If they like you they give you an offer to work for them over your second summer. If they like the work that you do over the summer, they make you a full time offer.

As you can tell then, I need to attire myself for a decathlon.

Summer at Public interest organization

3 interviews a day 7+ days in a row

Callbacks (Lord willing)

Second summer at firm (Lord willing)

If I do get an offer for the second summer, I'll be paid very well, so I'm not too worried about clothes for that right now - I'll be looking in a different price range if and when I get that far. Still, anything I buy could ideally be worn even then in a pinch.

Here are the clothes that I have that are still in passable condition:

One black Boss, three button single breasted suit. Wool. Re-cut to my measurements. 7-8 years old.

One charcoal grey Boss three button single breasted suit. Wool Probably needs to be tailored again in the sleeves. 5-6 years old.

One Alfani suit, Navy blue wool (with a bit of cashmere). Tailored. New.

Bostonian black cap-toes. New.

One charcoal Brooks Brothers trousers (if I can find them).

Various dress shirts and 10 awesome (zegna, hermes, charvet, etc.) ties - thanks dad!

Would you please advise me how to complete this lineup? I don't need anything else till this summer. I'm willing to wait till late summer to make an acquisition if necessary. Would really like to spend $600 or less if possible.

wetnose

Reaction score
So you're demanding our help?

Saying please would be a nice start...

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
So you're demanding our help?

Saying please would be a nice start...

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and titled the thread according to the dirrect way that advice is sought in others I frequent, OP has been changed. Did not intend to offend.

GloStiX

Reaction score
LOL typical sense of entitlement of kids these days.

Just wait 'til 90% of them are slaving away at their unfulfilling 9-5 "careers".

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloStiX
LOL typical sense of entitlement of kids these days.

Just wait 'til 90% of them are slaving away at their unfulfilling 9-5 "careers".

US being entitled? Its kids who are going to have to be slaving away from 9-9 to pay for YOUR social security, YOUR medicare, and the debt that YOUR generation ran up.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benjamin products/suits at ehaberdasher.com are the best value you will find for new suits.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloStiX
LOL typical sense of entitlement of kids these days. Just wait 'til 90% of them are slaving away at their unfulfilling 9-5 "careers".
Originally Posted by trigirdbers
US being entitled? Its kids who are going to have to be slaving away from 9-9 to pay for YOUR social security, YOUR medicare, and the debt that YOUR generation ran up.
Not again, please. Take this to the DT or CE forums. OP, what you have sounds good, at least for a student. I would not have chosen Boss or Alfani, but you could do worse. I'd not do black -- however, considering how you're still a student (and how most lawyers I know wear black suits anyway), this shouldn't be a problem. You should probably invest in some simple white and light blue shirts (you did not say what your shirts were like), and perhaps a navy blazer for those days when you can dress up/down easily. I'd recommend Brooks Brothers for the shirts, but getting a BB blazer in your budget may be challenging. You could look at Anderson Little. I'd also look at another pair of shoes, if possible.

doublemazaa

Reaction score

Wow, you're certainly going to get some help!

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Bostonian Cap Toes... you will want a second pair of shoes if you are wearing them every day so you can alternate. Plus cedar shoe trees and some basic shoe care stuff, polish, brushes, etc. Good looking shoes (and clean and properly-worn clothes) make or break your appearance. Scuffed, dirty, or damaged shoes make you look
ffffuuuu.gif

Some on the forum will tell you to buy Allen Edmonds or whatever, but that's far outside your budget. Overstock.com has some Neil M. shoes for good prices right now. I have two pair on the way, I will review them when they arrive.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Benjamin products/suits at ehaberdasher.com are the best value you will find for new suits.
Looks good. Like the full canvas and seems to be my style. You would recommend over indochino? "You should probably invest in some simple white and light blue shirts, and perhaps a navy blazer for those days when you can dress up/down easily. I'd recommend Brooks Brothers for the shirts, but getting a blazer in your budget may be challenging." I've got a fair amount of shirts. I'd love a blazer but they are pricey. I think I probably should get another suit first. Don't need a blazer until /unless I get a firm job. "Neil M. shoes" Leather souls? Another black set or cordovan? "most lawyers I know wear black suits anyway" This isn't true at type of firm I'm describing. Their dress code is similar to banks.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend a blazer or sport coat before your third suit (not counting the black one).

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Another black set or cordovan?

Cordovan will take up nearly your entire $600 budget.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Like the full canvas and seems to be my style. You would recommend over indochino?

"You should probably invest in some simple white and light blue shirts, and perhaps a navy blazer for those days when you can dress up/down easily. I'd recommend Brooks Brothers for the shirts, but getting a blazer in your budget may be challenging."

I've got a fair amount of shirts. I'd love a blazer but they are pricey. I think I probably should get another suit first. Don't need a blazer until
/unless I get a firm job.

"Neil M. shoes"

Leather souls?

Another black set or cordovan?

"most lawyers I know wear black suits anyway"

This isn't true at type of firm I'm describing. Their dress code is similar to banks.

You can find a good Navy blazer at any thrift shop, goodwill

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads