• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my outfit too "colorful"?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in corp. finance here in LA and I received two poking fun comments about how "colorful" I looked today. Both stated my shirt/tie combo was too colorful and one sort of said it in a sarcastic manner. I don't care b/c I think I look good but they both said, "oh, it's friday. That must be why."
Oh, I was wearing black trousers and black AE park ave's.

I ask you, does my combo look inappropriate for the office? Keep in mind, these were not from my uppers but from regular colleagues.

Cheers

photo12bm.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Top part does not bad at all....BUT, black trousers?? Meaning a black suit??? NO GO!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
with a navy or grey suit, that's fine. It's just 'cause it's purple and average people are all weird about that. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's more just likely people wanted to say they noticed and they gave you a little ribbing about it because it seems like you're confident enough to take it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tie is not conservative enough for an office. Pick the color or the texture.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I thought my office was bad. Id be crucified there.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like it...

Do you work in a funeral parlour ?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Top part does not bad at all....BUT, black trousers?? Meaning a black suit??? NO GO!

I actually wore black trousers w/out a jacket today. I wore a wool coat b/c it was cold in the morning.

And no, I don't wear black suits or even own one
smile.gif

tone76

Reaction score
Good lord. If I went to the office dressed like that, my colleagues would assume I'm going for a job interview and would wish me luck. Seriously, that looks pretty sharp and - in the industry and part of the world I live in - would be considered to be pretty snappy ... even with black trousers (or a black suit for that matter).

Sounds like the OP needs to find another job. Preferably somewhere not surrounded by drab people.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
with a navy or grey suit, that's fine. It's just 'cause it's purple and average people are all weird about that. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's more just likely people wanted to say they noticed and they gave you a little ribbing about it because it seems like you're confident enough to take it.

Navy or grey suit? Oh yeah! That should look very nice. Will do that next time.

Originally Posted by alliswell
That tie is not conservative enough for an office. Pick the color or the texture.

I agree, it is not conservative enough for the office now that I think of it. Oh well.

Originally Posted by tone76
Good lord. If I went to the office dressed like that, my colleagues would assume I'm going for a job interview and would wish me luck. Seriously, that looks pretty sharp and - in the industry and part of the world I live in - would be considered to be pretty snappy ... even with black trousers (or a black suit for that matter).

Sounds like the OP needs to find another job. Preferably somewhere not surrounded by drab people.

Haha. I actually wouldn't wear this for an interview as the tie is a bit flashy but thanks though. Not looking for another job but I am applying for b-school in april!
bounce2.gif

Cheers

JohnShaft

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that even a couple of people saw fit to comment, considering it is LA and on a Friday.

Had it been me (and my ego), I would have assumed that they were envious of my desire and ability to live a little.

But, since you're 'boots on the ground', you must follow the course you think best.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Man, your office must be the definition of drab.

+1.

Then again, I've worn purple trousers to work before, so I might not be the best person to ask.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
...I've worn purple trousers to work before, so I might not be the best person to ask.

fistbump.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads