• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dirty Collar Problem

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else experiences this problem, but here goes.

I notice that my collars on my dress shirts get dirty, often. Now take in mind that 1) I do take daily showers and 2) I do reside in AZ where summers are a scorching 115F.

Are there any tricks to prevent this from happening? The only way to get the collars clean is to take them to a dry cleaner because washing them myself never works. Just sucks that white dress shirts for me have to be replaced so often... *sigh*

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got two Turnbull & Asser white dress shirts that have collars that are almost yellow. Don't want to get rid of them, but I don't know how to clean them without causing more damage. I am scared to **** with them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pour bleach on them and then shout advanced, rub it in. Don't worry.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I got two Turnbull & Asser white dress shirts that have collars that are almost yellow. Don't want to get rid of them, but I don't know how to clean them without causing more damage. I am scared to **** with them.

Exactly the problem I am encountering. Someone shared with me to use a bar of soap (white obviously) and rub a small layer on collar before wearing... this sounds ridiculous.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Exactly the problem I am encountering. Someone shared with me to use a bar of soap (white obviously) and rub a small layer on collar before wearing... this sounds ridiculous.

You can always cut your head off.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You can always cut your head off.

This isn't going to work, unless you wear your shirt collar around your head. You must cut your neck off instead. The head should come off with it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hear that putting a bit of rubbing alcohol on a pad and wiping the back and sides of your neck before getting dressed will stop this since it's oil buildup.

I've found taht making a paste with baking soda and a little water and spreading that on the collar before washing (leave on for a few hours) will take stains off pretty well (works for armpits too)

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I just leave them like this? Maybe I was exaggerating a bit.

23vyemo.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine are washed at home after every wear and the collars and stains are sprayed with Shout. They look better now than they did when I had them laundered at the cleaners.

greyinla

Reaction score
There's no way to prevent it, as it's not dirt so much as pigmentation and such from your skin. But as others have suggested, shout is your friend.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I hear that putting a bit of rubbing alcohol on a pad and wiping the back and sides of your neck before getting dressed will stop this since it's oil buildup.

I've found taht making a paste with baking soda and a little water and spreading that on the collar before washing (leave on for a few hours) will take stains off pretty well (works for armpits too)

THIS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads