• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Craigslist a bib/number if you still want to run it, you may have to pay a little more but it will be worth it.

well if there's any chance of getting caught then its automatic disqualification for the NYC marathon.

it is the NYRR, and they are like the google/microsoft of the running club world.

i guess what happened is that the NYRR wanted to expand the NYC Half Marathon (this march) something like 20,000 to 30-40k and charged a processing fee to those that applied, reneged on the idea, and now are forced to refund.

those guys spilled over and joined the brooklyn marathon (which has an awesome course to run). two laps in prospect then right onto the ocean drive to coney island. you can see the finish (the rides at the boardwalk) from 6 miles away.

screw it i'll just run the queens and staten island half marathons instead.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
My friday morning appointment has been cancelled, so I may sneak out for a 5 mile quickie in my secret spot.

Little-known fact having nothing to do with running:

In the seventh grade, I lost in the first round of our school spelling bee for spelling "cancelled" with two l's. When I got home, I checked the dictionary"”sure enough, both spellings (i.e., with one or two l's) were listed. The following day, I showed those entries to the teacher heading up the bee. She responded with, "Well, we're going by our own word list." Great message to send kids. Rob, you would never do that with your kids at school, right?

In actual running news, I didn't get a run in yesterday. Twenty-hour workday with only a break for dinner. Dreadmill today fo' sho'.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
6.45 miles in Central Park this morning in 42:29 - starting t oget my legs back!

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
it is the NYRR, and they are like the google/microsoft of the running club world.

i guess what happened is that the NYRR wanted to expand the NYC Half Marathon (this march) something like 20,000 to 30-40k and charged a processing fee to those that applied, reneged on the idea, and now are forced to refund.

those guys spilled over and joined the brooklyn marathon (which has an awesome course to run). two laps in prospect then right onto the ocean drive to coney island. you can see the finish (the rides at the boardwalk) from 6 miles away.

They (NYRR) are a powerhouse in what they do, but the positives FAR outweigh any negatives. In my opinion they run the best race calendar in the country, if not the world. A 4 miler in February (which brings out around 5,000 people) will have the staff and organization equal to many marathons out there (no joke).

As for nyc - are there really going to be 20k people running it this year? I'm signed up, but didn't realize it was going to be that big!

And yes - BK is the best of the borough halves - I signed up on Monday - it's a fun course, though I wish it were 1 lap in PP park instead of 2.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mylesmyles
They (NYRR) are a powerhouse in what they do, but the positives FAR outweigh any negatives. In my opinion they run the best race calendar in the country, if not the world. A 4 miler in February (which brings out around 5,000 people) will have the staff and organization equal to many marathons out there (no joke).

As for nyc - are there really going to be 20k people running it this year? I'm signed up, but didn't realize it was going to be that big!

And yes - BK is the best of the borough halves - I signed up on Monday - it's a fun course, though I wish it were 1 lap in PP park instead of 2.

I'm a huge fanboy of the NYRR. the 9+1 program is the best incentive for a NYC area native to run the NYC marathon, plus it actually creates a really huge home base (NY metropolitan area) who come out and race on the weekends.

they are almost military in their precision in setting up and finishing up races plus the huge manpower to do it.

saturday/sunday morning busses/subways were always full of "walk of shame" people staggering home from debauchery, but theres also a ton (4,000-6,000) of runners with bibs/formerly D-tags on the way to a race.

I'm actually planning my race year around the t-shirts...
lol8[1].gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Little-known fact having nothing to do with running:

In the seventh grade, I lost in the first round of our school spelling bee for spelling "cancelled" with two l's. When I got home, I checked the dictionary"”sure enough, both spellings (i.e., with one or two l's) were listed. The following day, I showed those entries to the teacher heading up the bee. She responded with, "Well, we're going by our own word list." Great message to send kids. Rob, you would never do that with your kids at school, right?

In actual running news, I didn't get a run in yesterday. Twenty-hour workday with only a break for dinner. Dreadmill today fo' sho'.

Well, I wouldn't, but just so you know, our 8th grade ELA lead teacher says aks, instead of ask.
confused.gif

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Well, I wouldn't, but just so you know, our 8th grade ELA lead teacher says aks, instead of ask.
confused.gif

Ha! "Mind if I aks you a kestchun?" Dreadmill Dayz continue... 3.65 miles in 30:00 (avg. 8:13 min/mi) Today's shuffle playlist: Led Zeppelin - "Black Dog" Phish - "Inner Tube [Live]" (22-minute version) Led Zeppelin - "Four Sticks"

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4.5 miles today. First mile was to a doctors office where I waited for my wife and daughter. Wrong one, next mile and a half was to the right office where I walked in just as my daughter (2 and a half) was having blood drawn and screaming bloody murder. She did great! the last three miles was nice and relaxing! Gonna get real nice this next week, I sense some sore legs coming!

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it normal for a person who just started running to have a sore back?

lol sorry dunno where to put this

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mud fest coming up yall!
The almost 3 ft of snow is due to melt this weekend. Ill stick to the flat trails, but if it seems doable Ill hit secret spot just to test these Inov8 shoes out.
I think Ill do a bit of a review over the weekend on these (Roclite 295), as I feel they are a bit of an unknown brand at least and perhaps misunderstood at best.
They are true "off road" shoes and the design of certain aspects of the shoes really do not make sense until you put them to the test and through the paces. Their minimalism is obvious, but there are aspects of this concept present that I have not seen in other shoes.
Ill take pics and perhaps compare them to some Northface "trail" shoes.
Anyhow, I did 4 miles in the snow @ secret spot, and did another 4 on the dread mill for more sustained incline work.
Running on a flat dread mill is insufferable. However, taking an 8:30 pace @ 8-10% grade is a pretty decent work out and a sufficient distraction for me to forget that I am not outside and on a torture device.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, I ran 5.5 miles inspired by the Red Wings decisive win over the Bruins. After running in near zero temperatures, I felt hot running in the balmy 20s.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Milano
is it normal for a person who just started running to have a sore back? lol sorry dunno where to put this
Quite possibly. What kind of running shoes do you use, and what are you running on (i.e., hardtop, treadmill, natural path, track)? Also, are other parts of your body sore? How long does the soreness last?
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
This morning, I ran 5.5 miles inspired by the Red Wings decisive win over the Bruins. After running in near zero temperatures, I felt hot running in the balmy 20s.
BOOOOOOO!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Milano
is it normal for a person who just started running to have a sore back?

lol sorry dunno where to put this

Yea, sometimes my lower back still gets stiff after longer runs. Should incapacitate you though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads