• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i started with AE in 2 pairs for really cheap at nordstrom rack and then fell in love with alden cuz of cordovan. now i own a pair of trickers from the STP sale.

I will probably never buy AE again unless its stupid cheap and will stick with alden but strictly in cordovan shell colors and may eventually venture out to other brands. i love the brogue details on trickers so that may be my next shoe addiction

jfclarky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
They must make it irritating so people want to buy the print edition. The magazine (comes with the paper every other week or so) is one of most ridiculous things I have ever read. The first ad is for Edmiston Yachts.

How about page 17, " Narrow the field, the ultimate matchmaking service"

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Interesting answers, fellas.

I would eventually like to venture out to EG and C&J shoes. I looked into C&J before, but man....local retailers are hard to find. By local retailers, I actually mean those within the U.S.

Prior to owning Aldens, I owned a pair of AE's before. I think the quality of Alden shoes is of much higher standard.

As for Aldens: I'm on hiatus at the moment. I still need (in no particular order): Whiskey cap toe bluchers or boots, natural chromoexcel Indy's, black blutchers of some kind, and maybe a pair of brown monk's.

You won't be on hiatus much longer if you keep checking here.

For C&J, try Barney's, Ralph Lauren, or Brooks Brothers.
In general, the BB Peals with single row of nails are C&J. The double row are Sargent.
The less than $1K English RL shoes are usually C&J.
Barney's sizes their C&J in US sizes (+1 from UK).

david3558

Reaction score
Awesome - zippyh, that collection is nuts! Take a picture of the whole thing please
tounge.gif

So as far as sizing goes, take US sizing and subtract one to get UK sizing? I've heard the same thing but for 0.5 size as well - don't know what's the general standard.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Awesome - zippyh, that collection is nuts! Take a picture of the whole thing please
tounge.gif

So as far as sizing goes, take US sizing and subtract one to get UK sizing? I've heard the same thing but for 0.5 size as well - don't know what's the general standard.

The general standard is that 9UK=10US or 9.5UK=10.5US, etc.
But that's just in general and YMMV.
I know that's how Barney's translates their C&J sizes.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
zippy - Great collection. Have you done a "family" portrait? I'd enjoy seeing your collection.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Terrific, NST is going to be harder and harder to come by, due to the labor realities.

This makes some sense. Have you heard this from anywhere or this is a good guess on your part?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
The general standard is that 9UK=10US or 9.5UK=10.5US, etc. But that's just in general and YMMV. I know that's how Barney's translates their C&J sizes.
The only authority on shoe sizing that I know about is the Brannock device. The Brannock device conversion tables are very clear that UK size + 0.5 = US size http://www.brannock.com/cgi-bin/star...ck/charts.html UK lasts tend to have a different shape than US lasts, esp. at the ankle, where most UK shoes are wider. And UK shoes are not as long in terms of usable space for the same volume. Depending on how your foot shape matches up with the last of the UK shoe, you will want to go down 1/2 or 1 from your US size, in most cases. So another common tip you will will read is UK = US minus 3/4 -- that is a good way to fudge. A regular US 11 will be probably be a UK 10 or a UK 10.5. Try both and see what you like.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
This makes some sense. Have you heard this from anywhere or this is a good guess on your part?

When i pre-ordered several NST cordovan shoes from JGILBERT, the owner of the store said the same thing to me; he quoted me 9 months at the EARLIEST for them to come in

david3558

Reaction score
I think it's because the NST is handsewn and they can only produce so many a day.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
You won't be on hiatus much longer if you keep checking here.

For C&J, try Barney's, Ralph Lauren, or Brooks Brothers.
In general, the BB Peals with single row of nails are C&J. The double row are Sargent.
The less than $1K English RL shoes are usually C&J.
Barney's sizes their C&J in US sizes (+1 from UK).

Haha, the only Alden's I would buy today is a pair of whiskey's...but no one at the moment has a pair that's in my size. I skipped the LWB's from Epaulet because they resemble the J. Crew's tan version that I have already.

Interesting to see Barney's carrying C&J. I wonder if they will make it to their sales at the end of the season.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
The NST design on the shoe is more labor intensive since there is more hand stitching needed.

Exactly... they can only make a certain number of pairs a day - last I heard there were only a couple of women that did those shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads