• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It's not your height that matters but the length of your torso. I don't think that jacket looks overly long. Could you go shorter? Try it on and see.
+1 The front pic is dark but it looks like the bottom of the jacket is past (or right at) your fingertips.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience has been that I have been happier with the fit of jackets that I have to have my tailor take in a little than with jackets I have to have him let out. I've seen similar comments here at SF. I try to adjust my purchasing accordingly.

Here's my question, does the same hold true for trousers, is it the opposite, or does it make no difference at all?

-Mike

cbaker8

Reaction score
Hey I'm a relatively new member, been looking at picking up a suit on Ebay. I've seen quite a few Oscar De La Renta Suits that I quite like, however I'm wondering how they fit... I'm a 38S with a 33 - 34" waist. Also I can't seem to find any information online on how to tell if it is Authentic or not (i.e. what to look for in the tags).

Any help is much appreciated.

kwoyeu

Reaction score
Should I buy this SPURR suit for $448 (retail $1300)?

lg.jpg

More pics:

lg.jpg

lg.jpg

TRA8324

Reaction score
Can you tell if these are shell cordovan? They're Church's but i have no idea...

!CFU+s,QBmk~$(KGrHqIOKokE0fS6R!e2BNUu(tLe-Q~~0_3.JPG

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
Can you tell if these are shell cordovan? They're Church's but i have no idea...

!CFU+s,QBmk~$(KGrHqIOKokE0fS6R!e2BNUu(tLe-Q~~0_3.JPG

Nope, that's not shell.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone either (a) point me to a website that goes over the ways of obtaining the measurements of a shirt (dress or casual) using a cloth measuring tape or (b) go into detail on how to go about obtaining those measurements? Anything with pictures or video as a guide would be a big plus.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm having difficulty with measurements where seam stitches are wide. In some cases, a seam stitch can be 1/4" or wider, so I don't know if I should be measuring from the outside of one seam stitch to the other, from the inside of one to the other, or from the center. I hope that made sense.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Can you guys suggest some nice brow suede shoes with a rubber sole that I can wear casually with jean and a button down.

Bonus points if is or comes narrow.

Thanks.

digilypse

Reaction score
I've never had a proper suit before and needed one for interviews, so I ordered a BB Fitzgerald which arrived today. The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders. So my question is, can this suit be saved with tailoring, or is it a lost cause like I think it is? If it's hopeless, what's my next step? I'm not keen on ordering MTM over the internet if I can avoid it, nor do I want to drop 4k on bespoke just to get an interview suit. Something around 1k would be ideal.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digilypse
I've never had a proper suit before and needed one for interviews, so I ordered a BB Fitzgerald which arrived today.

The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders.

So my question is, can this suit be saved with tailoring, or is it a lost cause like I think it is? If it's hopeless, what's my next step? I'm not keen on ordering MTM over the internet if I can avoid it, nor do I want to drop 4k on bespoke just to get an interview suit. Something around 1k would be ideal.

How far away are you from a brooks brothers store?

digilypse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
How far away are you from a brooks brothers store?
About a 3 hour drive away, which is reasonable. Much closer than most other brand stores, anyway. Why?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd take the drive and try on a size smaller. Call ahead, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads