• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
If (that's a big "if") the bespoke shoes go right (even then, the first pair won't fit "perfectly"). If they go wrong, they can be an expensive shipwreck!
You're absolutely right of course--chances are they won't fit perfectly. But no RTW will fit perfectly either. And more importantly, even when a customer tries on a pair of RTW and they seem to make his feet sing in the first ten minutes of walking around, ten days later those same feet can be crying the blues. And ten weeks later real foot problems can be on the horizon. We deceive ourselves (and those around us) in this regard. And to the extent that we accept and then parrot the advertising hype in lieu common sense, we do ourselves (and those around us) a great disservice. Good shoes break in...in all dimensions. That's why leather is the preferred medium. If the foot starts off in a container/environment that is close...maybe almost, but not quite perfect...the chances are much higher that the shoe will be able to accommodate itself to the foot than if the fit is just 'in the general range.' There are many good bespoke makers who are no more expensive than the top dollar RTW. The money invested is not, nor does it have to be, an issue or the red-herring that people make it. A bespoke maker is gonna give you something you won't get with the most admired, most ballyhooed, most hyped brand on the market. He is going to give you personal attention. He is going to focus specifically on your feet. He is going to do his best to make something that is perfect for your feet...right and left. That he may fail to achieve perfection on the first attempt is at least a sign that he is trying. There are no guarantees in life. People hide behind the security blankets of brand names or the glamour of expensive marketing campaigns as a hedge against disappointment and the demands of getting involved. And RTW makers--manufacturers--hide behind the blanket of mass production and uniformity and the anonymity of the unknown customer.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
You are preaching to the choir Fritzl. Anyways while ED shoes indeed are beautiful, they are overpriced in my opinion. If somebody is really hell bent on getting english shoes I think Alfred Sargant is better value.

I am very new to this English shoe thing, what is ED shoes and who is Alfred Sargant?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
laugh.gif

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kal249
Hi

I think bespoke is really only an option if you have really mis-shapen feet or always have trouble getting shoes to fit etc. You must remember that top notch bespoke costs well over £3000 for one pair!.!!

There are many reasons for bespoke, much better fit being only one of them. Even very normal looking feet may stray widely from the average used to make RTW. For instance you may have a thinner heel than normal, much higher instep ect.

Ultimately, taking individual foot shape and proportion into account allows you to make a far more elegant shoe, something much more streamlined that does not have unneeded excess space that can cause blobiness. You can also alter styling drastically and design shoes that are not available RTW yet.

Also look at the sole & waist treatment of bespoke - lights years ahead of RTW in fit and look.

Regardless, bespoke is really about doing your own thing - what you want - not what soemone else offers or the mass market wants.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
You are preaching to the choir Fritzl.

i was talking about the maftei site
laugh.gif
nvm

each to his own. can we agree that we all love shoes and some of us are more empiric in their approach?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
For some reason, my intuition tells me that Spoo is in the market for a pair of double monks.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads