• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Legs

Buck Rogers

Reaction score
I know this is somewhat of a strange post, but I wonder if anyone else deals with this issue.

I am about 6 feet tall, however, my pant length is about a 30, or maybe 29.5. Obviously, this means that I have a longer torso than most for someone of my height.

The problem that this creates for me is that I seem to look decent in a suit or sportcoat, from the waist up, but I seem to always look a little weird from the waist down.

It seems to me that my pants look squat and/or too baggy. I have tried to solve this with more slim fitting pants or a more tapered leg, but that sometimes can look a little weird as well (almost too pronounced).

Does anyone else deal with this type of issue and/or have any potential satorial solutions??

Bond77

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. Im 6ft and medium build and my pants inseam is always 29 or 30.

I always try to find higher rise slim trousers. As high as possible without looking like an old man. I always make sure they're perfectly hemmed. I prefer little to no break, no cuffs and if I can get away with it, I wont wear a belt.

Even then, when I wear a jacket, you can always still see my belt area exposed under the button. It looks very sloppy. So Ive decided to start buttoning the bottom button of my jackets, and low and behold, my appearance has improved dramatically. All of my jackets have a higher button stance anyway, so the cut allows for the extra buttoning without any pulls, and in fact, it looks very smart in my opinion. It completely covers the waist area and presents a single uninterrupted line. Reminds me of old photos of the Duke of Windsor or other old time chaps.

PS: Also, a slightly shorter jacket will help. Perhaps just a half inch or so, so that it just covers your rear and no more.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably stick to jackets on the slightly shorter side and avoid 3 buttons (except 3 roll 2) . Slim pants are a great idea too and avoid a cuff and too much break.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bond77
Even then, when I wear a jacket, you can always still see my belt area exposed under the button. It looks very sloppy. So Ive decided to start buttoning the bottom button of my jackets.

facepalm.gif

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
facepalm.gif

There have been several praised photos of the Duke of Windsor posted on this forum with his bottom button done. My jackets seem to be cut in the same manner, where the bottom button is precisely at my waist. I suppose you'd slap your forehead at the Duke?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been several praised photos of the Duke of Windsor posted on this forum with his bottom button done. My jackets seem to be cut in the same manner, where the bottom button is precisely at my waist. I suppose you'd slap your forehead at the Duke?

Correct. It looks absurd.

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
Correct. It looks absurd.

Why? The line of the jacket isnt being molested in any way. Why is it absurd then? Because of an ancient rule made by a fat king who couldn't button his jacket properly anymore?

Saltricks

Reaction score
Same problem, made worse by thick thighs and calves.

High rise pants with little to no break, shorter jackets, higher button stance

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Same problem, made worse by thick thighs and calves.

Same here. Cursed with being "bottom-heavy".

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would depend upon the button stance. If you look at pictures of Duke with both buttons closed, they have no waist button. For instance, the top button tends to be higher than the waist and the bottom button lower than the waist. There are also pictures of Kennedy wearing a two button with all buttons buttoned, and I believe those are paddock jackets. Here are a couple from Will's blog.
kennedy+family.jpg
Kennedys+at+Hyannis.jpg

Bond77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
That would depend upon the button stance. If you look at pictures of Duke with both buttons closed, they have no waist button. For instance, the top button tends to be higher than the waist and the bottom button lower than the waist.

My button stance appears exactly the same as in the photo of the Duke I posted previously. Would I be correct in buttoning both buttons in that case?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My button stance appears exactly the same as in the photo of the Duke I posted previously. Would I be correct in buttoning both buttons in that case?
From what I've seen, I'd say yes, assuming it satisfies the criteria of the paddock jacket mentioned above. Personally, I think it looks absurd, but I think there's precedence on your side, so take that as you will.

Bond77

Reaction score
From what I've seen, I'd say yes, assuming it satisfies the criteria of the paddock jacket mentioned above.

Personally, I think it looks absurd, but I think there's precedence on your side, so take that as you will.

I know its definitely not the accepted norm whatsoever, but why is it absurd? I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm just curious.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know its definitely not the accepted norm whatsoever, but why is it absurd? I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm just curious.
Personally? No other reason that it looks out of place. We're conditioned to look at jackets and assume that the bottom will be unbuttoned, and when you see the odd one, your mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that the wearer does not know what he is doing rather than that it's a bespoke outfit that falls outside the realm of said rule. But that would once again depend on the insouciance with which the overall outfit is worn. Somebody wearing a great outfit with a practiced nonchalance could pull it off. Most people cannot. I think we should also keep in mind that the people wearing that outfit are the likes of DoW and JFK -- both icons of style and panache. I would be hesitant to attempt something that either of those could pull off with ease.

Bond77

Reaction score
Personally? No other reason that it looks out of place. We're conditioned to look at jackets and assume that the bottom will be unbuttoned, and when you see the odd one, your mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that the wearer does not know what he is doing rather than that it's a bespoke outfit that falls outside the realm of said rule.

But that would once again depend on the insouciance with which the overall outfit is worn. Somebody wearing a great outfit with a practiced nonchalance could pull it off. Most people cannot.

I've often thought about the fact that most people will assume that I don't know the rules and will mislabel me (especially since I'm in my 20s), but I like to think that the rest of my appearance and manner will counter that assumption. Nobody has called me on it yet, and I dare any one of the million slobs I see everyday to do so. If its ok for everyone to wear their jackets unbuttoned flapping in the wind with a pair of Kenneth Cole rubber soled shoes on their feet, I think I can get away with my eccentric buttoning habits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads