• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you have some grail piece or one of those pocket Ervell sweaters that to sell instantly and then get thrown back into the B&S forum a week later, selling here is a waste. I've found that no one really believes your opening prices, even if it's already quite a bit lower than the original price. So people wait for the drops (emphasis on the plural there) and then make you an even lower offer.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This is true, I think. From a buyer's perspective, I know that I can get things cheaper than the originally listed price, lame as that is. That said, I prefer supermarket anyway. The brands I'm interested in these days just don't get sold here.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
pretty random question, but anyway ... one method garments (or fabrics for many other purposes) are colored in some places involves boiling flower petals etc to form a dye and then immersing the fabric in there for some time. i'm wondering if anyone has dyed their denim in this fashion? i'm thinking of darkening a pair i have using some flowers

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there should be a thread for that kind of diy experiments, would read.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
What is wrong with our b&s? I can sell stuff more easily on sufu than SF. I have even sold several things to SF members who find me on sufu b&s but not here. hmm
I think I've had the opposite experience. I've had so much more luck selling here than on sufu. Daily bumping, only to see it drop to page three within a couple hours is always annoying. I rarely ever get any bites on sufu.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
opposite of dyeing...i once tried with bleach but used an incredibly high concentration and overslept only to wake and find a disintegrating pair of jeans
lol8[1].gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
This will be interesting to see. I never thought I'd say this, but I think we need to move away from workwear a bit. Heritage is great, but I'd like to see be a little smarter (i.e., British influenced), with cleaner lines, and richer fabrics and knits.

Does Haversack fit the bill (see frontpage)? Hoping one of the UK web retailers might pick it up.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
^ This is true, I think. From a buyer's perspective, I know that I can get things cheaper than the originally listed price, lame as that is. That said, I prefer supermarket anyway. The brands I'm interested in these days just don't get sold here.

I think I've had the opposite experience. I've had so much more luck selling here than on sufu. Daily bumping, only to see it drop to page three within a couple hours is always annoying. I rarely ever get any bites on sufu.

I agree with both of these ^, except for the preference part... I buy from both, the stuff I usually buy seems to come up equally on both SF and SUFU.

While you do have the issue of people here waiting for multiple drops, on sufu you get the annoying situation where some guy bumps every day w/out ever dropping the price.

I usually get more bites here on stuff, though its been getting a lot more equal lately.

On both though, I get weird cycles... I'll continually drop prices and add items sometimes going multiple days without getting a bite and then all of a sudden half a dozen things will sell in a single day.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zis, based on your waywts, you probably have better luck here because the demographic on supermarket doesn't look like it favours heritage-type stuff, especially in larger sizes.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Mm, indeed.

The J. Crew thing, I think, was a good move for both Warehouse and tha Krew. Gets a lot more exposure for Warehouse (and Heller's); J. Crew probably only ordered a handful of pieces, which are almost certain to be bought up by the Japanese no matter what the price. Now there's some visibility out there for the line before anyone else in the US is really stocking it. Everyone likes to kill J. Crew but outside of forums I don't think there's much stigma to being stocked in their nicer stores and online. I mean, they carry Swaine Adeney Brigg stuff. Even RJMan likes that stuff.

That totally makes sense. I think the surprise factor is that J. Crew has a certain association with mediocrity, and it doesn't really jive with the Warehouse/Heller's collab. It's a major mass-market brand, and much of what they produce is intended for a mass audience.

Of course, this doesn't prevent them from stocking and showcasing interesting stuff that would otherwise be in a niche boutique.

I don't particularly have a problem with J. Crew, and I don't think the forum really does either - just look at how much people like mellowfellow's fits - but the backlash comes from people beasting over the boring and mediocre stuff that's churned out for mass consumption.

Originally Posted by sipang

+1

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I have some alright luck here and like someone said i will sell a few things then nothing.

Overall most of the buyers have been homies and those who haven't have been pretty good I must say.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

same, I actually sold my stuff on here. Sufu is balls with the constant bumping, but I prefer the diversity over ervell land sometimes.

Sedig

Reaction score
re: BS thread, Jet, check your PMs when you have a few minutes--> I'm trying to buy your APC parka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads