• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BA in Sociology... help meeee!!

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I always love the sociologists .. they can have some brilliant idea's, but no practical understanding of how to implement them besides "print money".

I've never met a sociologist with that poor of an understanding.

As for what school; I'm Canadian and went to a fairly decent one. (Top undergrad school in Canada for 5 years or so, though it has fallen off recently).

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
we semi-regularly see people like this around here in their early college years saying they are going to major in [insert liberal arts/social sciences/humanities discipline here] because "it really interests me" and At Careers Night The Nice Man In The Brown Jacket With The Patches Told Us That Employers Want People Who Can Think Critically And I'm Good At That Cos I Wrote A Book Review On King Lear And Know That Pride Was His Fatal Flaw.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

worship.gif

god how i laughed. so ******* true.

MikeCamp

Reaction score
lol holy ****. thank you for some of the answers, and for the other people i'd love to hear what you guys do for a living. I know sociology is very open and broad and i the reason for this post was what ARE some career paths that can be taken. I don't think many people graduate with a degree in sociology with their plan to be a sociologist.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most people i know who graduate with a degree in sociology have a plan to be a barista

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
rjakapeanut aren't you a law student lol

olualbert

Reaction score
Is Ok to have your first degree in Sociology but I dont think is a smart idea to wonna do a graduate study in this field. My advice is for you to divert your graduate school into Public Health and you can use your sociological underpinnings to really make a difference. Try specializing in social epidemiology of disease and illness with an emphasis in International health. If you graduate in the upper 5 percentile of your class, I can garantee you that the National institute of health(NIH) will pay your way to do your PhD in health economics, International Health, Epidemiology or Biostatistics. If you take this route, it will be the smartest decision of your life. I have a MPH degree in International Health and Im currently stationed in Riyadh. When I come back to the states, I will be doing my doctoral work in health economics with emphasizes in policy implementation.....is how you enhance yourself with what you've got. Research....research..and you will never go wrong. Like previously said by the other authors, learn to write effectively, polish your writing skills and you can make a lot of money....my 2 cent..good luck!

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
si senor
perhaps you should slow your roll on pointing out unemployability/mocking people for pursuing worthless degrees

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
si senor
Aren't you in undergrad? To the OP: I would consider picking up some other skill on the side like programming. I've known people with English degrees that ended up getting decent jobs in comp sci. without having a formal degree in it simply by focusing on one type. You could even take programming classes during your sociology MA. It doesn't have to be programming per se, but you're at crunch time now and better pick a very pragmatic path. A suggestion like olualbert's is also a good one. The point is that you better leverage your undergrad into a useful degree or acquire another skill set or you might have a hard time finding a decent job.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
perhaps you should slow your roll on pointing out unemployability/mocking people for pursuing worthless degrees

i don't really think that makes any sense. besides it's a forgone conclusion that i'm the david boies of my generation.

Originally Posted by ramuman
Aren't you in undergrad?

To the OP: I would consider picking up some other skill on the side like programming. I've known people with English degrees that ended up getting decent jobs in comp sci. without having a formal degree in it simply by focusing on one type. You could even take programming classes during your sociology MA. It doesn't have to be programming per se, but you're at crunch time now and better pick a very pragmatic path.

A suggestion like olualbert's is also a good one. The point is that you better leverage your undergrad into a useful degree or acquire another skill set or you might have a hard time finding a decent job.

i am in undergrad

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
haha what you're not even a law student yet?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OJFC. I don't get how people identify as pre-law (much less law) or pre-med after taking a class in macroeconomics or general chemistry. FWIW though, I'm a pre-billionaire.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did any of you Soci majors like your methods class? I skipped the field study and did an interview instead.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Research Methods and Statistics was one of my favourite classes. I had forgotten how much fun (yes, fun...) math could be. It was nice to get an answer that people couldn't debate haha. It kind of made me wish I had stuck with math.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Actually, Research Methods and Statistics was one of my favourite classes. I had forgotten how much fun (yes, fun...) math could be. It was nice to get an answer that people couldn't debate haha. It kind of made me wish I had stuck with math.

Stats was off the chain. Research Methods was so-so. What fun soci classes did you take?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics