• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
RE: Herringbone sale - I was told that the shoes are Churches.

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
The only shoes I've seen at warehouse sales are Herringbone brand made by Cheney... and usually in huge sizes and slight seconds condition.

Eh .. .I just took at stab at the C&J thing because that's all I was aware of them selling.

streetminimal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
The great thing about Australia is that no one really give a damn.

Yes.

If you wore a black pinstripe suit to work with a brown coloured shirt and some black slip on runners, no one would look at you twice and openly tell you that 'you're dressed like a moron'.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
Yes. If you wore a black pinstripe suit to work with a brown coloured shirt and some black slip on runners, no one would look at you twice and openly tell you that 'you're dressed like a moron'.
It's more likely you'd be asked where you got the great outfit by some woman who wants to go out and buy it for her husbang.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
Considering what passes for popular culture in Australia, does one really WANT to be in tune?

Sod it, once I'm allowed to buy clothes again (1/3), some nice silk knots will be top of my list.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

End of Feb the thread will be retitled as "No Purchase Club (January -AND- February -AND- March 2011)". That'll learn you!

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
Even though it is still summer there have been a couple of quite cool mornings here in the nation's capital and it has got me thinking about the coming winter. As a consequence I have decided to investigate flannel pants as I have never worn them before.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to go in Canberra to check some out and get a feel for what they are like?

Not saying that I am going to buy any but it is a foolish man who doesn't open his mind to new ideas.

Cheers guys

LPS
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowly Public Servant
Even though it is still summer there have been a couple of quite cool mornings here in the nation's capital and it has got me thinking about the coming winter. As a consequence I have decided to investigate flannel pants as I have never worn them before.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to go in Canberra to check some out and get a feel for what they are like?

Not saying that I am going to buy any but it is a foolish man who doesn't open his mind to new ideas.

Cheers guys

LPS
smile.gif

LPS,

I can't help out with store suggestions in Canberra, but I can say that I have a couple of flannel suits and a couple of flannel odd trousers (in light grey and in charcoal) and I love them. They are fantastic to wear in autumn and winter (as are corduroy odd trousers) and look and feel great.

Any decent menswear store should have some pairs as the weather turns cooler.
Polo Ralph Lauren also usually does flannel trousers in the autumn/winter range - both of my flannel odd trousers are from PRL.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
End of Feb the thread will be retitled as "No Purchase Club (January -AND- February -AND- March 2011)". That'll learn you!

What have I done!?
facepalm.gif

Oleg

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I might be able to go in Canberra to check some out and get a feel for what they are like? LPS
smile.gif

Unless DJs, Blades, John Hanna or that one on the corner of London Circuit, the name of which escapes me completely, have some, you'll probably be waiting for a Sydney trip I'm afraid. On the silk knot thing, I've always liked them. I've a lot of double cuff shirts and they make a nice change from metal links: nice way to add a bit of colour without shouting about it. Whether others do is up to them, of course, but those who think of as them cheap might be interested to see Patrick Grant, a man whose wardrobe is probably worth more than a small apartment, donning a pair along with a bespoke suit, A.Lange and Sohne watch and handmade John Lobb shoes. http://putthison.com/post/1293489667...rant-the-owner

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even so, Oleg, I still do not like the look of them, no matter how good other parts of a fellow's wardrobe may be.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So anyone turned up to the Hugo Boss sale yet? Anything of interest?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LPS
smile.gif

Love the grey flannel trousers.

Silk knot thing, not so much.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I can also endore the PRL flannel trousers. Have had a few.

Got some nice ones last year at their outlet. Sometimes they one or two pieces which are from their regular - as opposed to made for the outlet - lines. These ones were very old-school - thick flannel, half belt at back, high rise and very full cut. Much as I like them I am thinking about having them tapered as a I feel a bit clowny wearing them.

Anyway, ther is a PRL outlet in Homebush DFO if you ever get up here from Canberra, but they probably wouldn't have them at this time of year.

bhall41

Reaction score

Cheers guys

LPS
smile.gif

I have a pair of flannel trousers which I purchased at Country Road last year. They are actually quite nice. You could try there.

__PG__

Reaction score
I had a chat to Tony and Sebastian at American tailors today. Their new pricing for C&J shoes is

- Benchgrade - $500 - 520 (depending on model).
- Handgrade - $700

One thing I didn't know is that they also make some Isaia suits to order (i.e. they choose the fabrics and Isaia make the suits for them). This means that for certain suits they can make you a second pair of trousers if you like (or order them for you if you buying the suit new ... as opposed to older stock on sale).

They still had a few Handgrades on sale for $425. Isaia suits for about $1400, D'Avenza at $1700. I saw a nice Peak Lapel sand/tan pinstripe Castagnia for $1000 (size 54), Sartoria Correale suits at the same price. They have a 'bargain rack' which has various suits at $250 (including a nice tan D'Avenza)....smaller sizes though.

Nice some nice summer sports jackets too...Isaia, Castagnia and Sartoria Correale for around $700 - $800.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Pro silk knots

Flannels... every man should own at least one pair, they're a staple for winter

Big tie knots make baby jesus cry

Square toed, turned up shoes make baby jesus cry

fxh... great posts of late. Same goes PoP and Journey

Australian members is the best thread on Style forum (shoe damage and watch Appreciation close second)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics