• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$5000 Shoe Budget - Suggestions Needed

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
You're doing it backwards.
Figure out what you need first.
4 black shoes seems redundant.
Walnut, Brown, Oxblood, etc.

Second this. 4 pairs of black is too much, I would say 2 or 3 is good.
Also consider a pair of brown Berluti .

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
you mean you or me?
lol8[1].gif

fistbump.gif

Both.
lol8[1].gif
Did you send me that invite?

dreamtripper

Reaction score
I think you might be right that 4 pairs of black might be redundant. I was thinking:

- Classic black wingtip oxfords (maybe Alden cordovan)
- Black wingtip bluchers (a little more clunky like Church's Grafton or C&J Pembroke)
- A black split-toe
- 4th pair ???

What would you suggest if you were to get just 2?

You're doing it backwards.
Figure out what you need first.
4 black shoes seems redundant.
Walnut, Brown, Oxblood, etc.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^If I were you, I would make the black shoe a captoe and your dark brown a wingtip.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I think you might be right that 4 pairs of black might be redundant. I was thinking: - Classic black wingtip oxfords (maybe Alden cordovan) - Black wingtip bluchers (a little more clunky like Church's Grafton or C&J Pembroke) - A black split-toe - 4th pair ??? What would you suggest if you were to get just 2?
I personally wouldn't get an oxford shoe in cordovan. An oxford is a more formal shoe. Cordovan tends to get folds and looks best with bluchers/derbies. Look at the G&G Rothschild on the DG70 last
drool.gif
for a black oxford wingtip.
devil.gif
For black bluchers, you can't go wrong with the C&J Pembroke or even the Clifford. I wouldn't get black cordovan. Get a shade of brown like whiskey, cigar or even color #8 (burgundy). Also, if I were you, I would put a decent amount of $$ into a black captoe.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I think you might be right that 4 pairs of black might be redundant. I was thinking:

- Classic black wingtip oxfords (maybe Alden cordovan)
- Black wingtip bluchers (a little more clunky like Church's Grafton or C&J Pembroke)
- A black split-toe
- 4th pair ???

What would you suggest if you were to get just 2?

I think starting off with 2 pairs of black seems about right. A black captoe is a must. Maybe a half-brogue.

If you like a split toe, get it in mid or light brown (like chestnut or acorn).

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25 pairs of Barker Black seconds in a variety of colors and styles.
lurker[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Assuming the OP is in the U.S., do you mean, if he buys a $1000 ticket to Europe + hotel accomodations
exactly.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
so he can buy bespoke from your beloved austro-hungarian friends? In that case, fine, maybe he can get two pairs. We know how much pride you have in your region's bespoke shoes. We get it. But I agree that Vass and St. Crispins should be on the short list.
you're welcome. thank you for recognizing. i wouldn't call them friends. i visited some workshops, talked to the people and used some of them. probably, you can call me the medwards of the austro-hungarian fraction. at least for styleforum. i know a few, who would fit better into this description, anyway i agree with the two on the shortlist. this alone buys you more than two. lurk more... btw, same goes for people, who praise the london companies. just saying... nothing wrong with either.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dreamtripper,

What I meant about backwards is that you've got $5000 to burn, but don't exactly know what you want. You just want "great" shoes, and are willing to pay. It also ensures you will overpay.

More importantly, it shows your preference is not yet clear. Odds are, you're going to waste some money, b/c the tail is wagging the dog.

The fact that you are so heavily slanted towards black tells me you are new to shoes. You have 12 posts on SF, so you will be seeing a lot more styles over the next few months that you like. You will probably buy shoes you don't wear in 6 months time.

Also, the reflexive advice to just buy expensive random **** is bad. You might not like them. Google the suggestions, and see what you like. There are some cool new avenues to explore in shoes. Wingtips, various colors, boots, etc. You have $5000 and can build an kick ass shoe collection that will garner lots of compliments. However, you don't know what you're doing just yet. Not that this is rocket science. Take the time to read a bunch of shoe threads. Understand what's out there.

Here is my advice. You have money burning a hole in your pocket. To quell that, buy a pair of shoes now. A nice pair. But, take your time on the rest. But, hold off on more until you know what you want. Otherwise, you will spend your $5000, and I guarantee that in 6-12 months time, you will be wanting a whole different set of shoes. If you've got another $3000, then it's no problem, except that you wasted time and money.

You will also enjoy the process more this way, as opposed to just buying 6 pairs of shoes at once.

kungapa

Reaction score
Here is my advice. You have money burning a hole in your pocket. To quell that, buy a pair of shoes now. A nice pair. But, take your time on the rest. But, hold off on more until you know what you want. Otherwise, you will spend your $5000, and I guarantee that in 6-12 months time, you will be wanting a whole different set of shoes. If you've got another $3000, then it's no problem, except that you wasted time and money.

You will also enjoy the process more this way, as opposed to just buying 6 pairs of shoes at once.

This.

Though maybe buy two pairs - one black to satisfy that urge, and one brown/red nice wingtip - maybe a drummond or edgware?

Jermyn

Reaction score
Which are your favourite shoes from your current collection?

Knowing the types of shoe that you like and wear the most will help people to know what to recommend.

I second the idea of investing into a decent black captoe.

It is good having people recommend various specific chelseas, derbies, split-toes etc. but what I think you should really be looking to do is to 'upgrade' styles which you already know, wear and understand how to pair effectively.

Personally I think the following represents a decent selection of styles, but you may not need or want all of these:

black chelsea boot
black cap toe oxford

brown/burgundy wholecut
brown/burgundy derby/blucher
brown/burgundy wingtip
brown/burgundy chukka

If I had to buy a new shoe collection I would look through B&S, various sales etc. and find how to get the most bang for my buck in the styles I like. I'd also try different makers and see which lasts i liked (and most importantly, fit me) the best.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody mentioned a loafer yet? Alden Leisure Handsewn in #8 shell is the only loafer you'll ever need. It works in summer too, without socks.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a tough one, but if I had to redo my shoe wardrobe:

I like my black C&J benchgrade Belgrave: $800 w/trees

RL Darlton Tassels: $800 + $125 trees = $925

RL Stanton, since those are all gone I'd buy an EG equivalent for $1200

EG Chukka boots: $1200.

That is $4125 for the bulk of it, than I would hunt down a pair of suede tassels, they're my go-to for the summer.

Jermyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Has anybody mentioned a loafer yet? Alden Leisure Handsewn in #8 shell is the only loafer you'll ever need. It works in summer too, without socks.

facepalm.gif

How could I forget a loafer.

I have yet to purchase one in shell. I'm torn because a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that it works far better on derbies. I should just pull the trigger on one or the other so I can see what I make of shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads