• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strangers.

Macto

Reaction score
Whenever I go out and see or walk by strangers alone, men or women, I always seem to look down or away. I seem to be antisocial.

Anyways what do you guys do?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
If I make eye contact, I usually smile. Though I'm usually not walking around staring into random stranger's eyes.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I'm walking by I find that quick pat on the crotch lets them know I care. You can't linger, that would be rude. Just a quick pat.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If I make eye contact, I usually smile.
With dudes too?
uhoh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Macto

Reaction score
That... is pretty horrifying. I try to smile, but it usually comes out as a smirk.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In some of the places I've found myself over the years, looking a stranger in the eyes is an invitation to an ass-kicking.

If I know I am going to be walking around alone I usually wet my pants to keep unwanted contact to a minimum.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
in public space with many strangers i probably just glance at people and then away which is probably normal. half the time it's to see if I might know them or some eye candy or whatever.

For more closed space / one-on-ones... one of the most powerful things i've learned is eye-contact, and not being the one to look away or blink first. Try it, for just one day... look everyone directly in the eye and don't look away until after they do. Store people will suddenly start paying attention to you, women will interact more with you, etc... in a world of many people, there are surprisingly few interactions on a personal level. looking at someone clearly and directly creates an instant connection (on some level).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually don't make eye contact.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always make eye contact. and smile if it seems appropriate. I also glare at strangers if I don't like something about them but thats just me. sunday night the wifey was pissed when we entered a korean restaurant I glared at these 3 korean dudes dressed like k-pop wannabes who looked my way when we entered.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
this is an interesting subject... I used to do the same for as long as i can remember but read some interesting article years ago on body gestures or something of the like that suggested always keeping your head level as you pass strangers or people in general, as it makes you appear more approachable, outgoing and confident, and less likely to feel the tendency to look downwards if that's what you're accustomed to doing, along with other little tidbits of wisdom that have now escaped my mind.

I've never heeded such a miniscule piece of advice quite like this before for some reason, and I must say it is probably amongst the best gestural advice i've ever encountered. probably doesn't sound like a big deal with how badly i've paraphrased it but you really should try it, can't hurt.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stare, but just to start ****. If there is mad dogging involved I maintain the stare until they start staring at the ground or one of us gets lit up. I don't know... I grew up in a gang infested neighborhood, so intense eye contact comes naturally to me. Sometimes I try not to stare, but I can't help it. I really don't want to hurt people (or get myself hurt), but it's just horrible habit I have.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont look guys in the eye because most of the time its an invitation to start something. girls i think are pretty i just usually stare at for a little just to see them and for fun to see if they look back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads