• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercising in the morning

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
seldom before 10p, and sometimes after 11. Last night was 11:30. Sometimes I crash by 8:30 though, but it's towards the end of the week.

That's pretty hardcore. I'm impressed and I'm easily impressed by these kind of things.

Egert

Reaction score
I try to do at least 3 runs a week. About 5km starting 7:30 and go back home for breakfast after that... But I won't go to work until noon, so it helps. The thing is to get a routine not to sleep until noon...

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lift @ 7 am, 4 times a week. Sure, sometimes it's a pain to wake up so ******* early but once you have hauled your ass on-site and put in a few sets it's a great way to start your day.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wake up at 4:30am. Usually lift between 5 and 6:30. It is great to get it done before the day starts.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's just no way i can workout in the morning. i can barely wake up to make it to work on time.

plus, i enjoy working out at night.

caxt

Reaction score
I get up at 5:30 to workout at 6:00 five days a week.

It works fine after you get into a rhythm, but outside factors can easily make you justify hopping back into bed.

Might want to look into a stim product. For instance; I like Animal Pump by Universal Nutrition.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cycle to work on nothing but an espresso and dont eat til lunch. usually no problems unless its really cold when i struggle to get out of bed.

but there is no way i could lift heavy weights in the morning. my CNS takes a while to wake up.

conne, start off slow and make sure you get early nights. soon you will be used to it.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm between jobs so I go early in the AM so I can keep a routine. When I land, I might split the cardio and the weight training up, doing the cardio in the mornings and weight training after work depending how my schedule pans out.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I lay in bed before 11. I can wake up really early (5-5:30). But I normally don't fall asleep until 12:30 or so. But if I go to bed at 12:30 and fall asleep right away, I'll have a really hard time waking up early. I know that sounds really weird....

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider eating an Egg McMuffin as "working out".

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
^This.

The best schedule and the best exercise regimen is the one you will stick with.

Yep

I tried lifting first thing in the morning, lunch time... my body is just most responsive between 6-9 PM. On the weekends I will lift around 1-3PM, but even then for legs I need coffee. I do like to bike first thing in the morning though.

So go whenever you feel its best. There's no benefit to lifting first thing in the morning.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't do it this morning. Up at 6AM, took one bite of toast and immediately had the runs. Can't eat that early. Looks like I will have to suck it up and go after work.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Couldn't do it this morning. Up at 6AM, took one bite of toast and immediately had the runs. Can't eat that early. Looks like I will have to suck it up and go after work.

was the anal sphincter put through exhaustive trauma the night before? anal leakage is common in that scenario.

seriously though - there are hormonal benefits if you work out after a long fast (normal sleep) as to weight loss and hunger (theoretically you'll burn more fat and more throughout the day). if you can get over the torture of working out tired and hungry. caloric deficit + exercise are still needed.

I like to lift weights in the morning then run at night. weights/pilates/yoga is torture for me so its best to get it over with 1st thing in the morning. cardio (bike/run) is fun and relaxing so I save it for night time to finish my day.

riotmute

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
If I lay in bed before 11. I can wake up really early (5-5:30). But I normally don't fall asleep until 12:30 or so. But if I go to bed at 12:30 and fall asleep right away, I'll have a really hard time waking up early. I know that sounds really weird....

That's exactly what happens to me. I get the gym 2-3 times a week at 6AM but set my alarm every day...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads