• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

albion

Reaction score
Sorry if this subject has been discussed already, but does anyone here know when Fred Perry shirts first appeared in the skinhead wardrobe?...I have yet to come across a photo from the 60's of a skinhead in a Fred Perry. Thanks.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by albion
Sorry if this subject has been discussed already, but does anyone here know when Fred Perry shirts first appeared in the skinhead wardrobe?...I have yet to come across a photo from the 60's of a skinhead in a Fred Perry. Thanks.

I had a white one with navy trim in 1969.

OHT

Reaction score
I'm told it was a carry over from Mod. Here's a video that explains it(start from 4:38-6:00 to get your answer):
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. I do agree with you about not seeing a photo of a 60s skin wearing one

Rude.Gal

Reaction score
so i'm still not getting it with the arched fringe.. sorry but i'm really interested in to cut my hair really "authentic"..
so was it a really short fringe like here?:
http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images...ers-blonde.jpg
( note only the fringe of course
wink.gif
)

or was it a "longer" version?

and i've seen in barcelona a lot of girls wearing those really colourful two tone tonic suits.
so i'm planing to get a suit made, just wondering which colours where the most popular?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rude.Gal
so i'm still not getting it with the arched fringe.. sorry but i'm really interested in to cut my hair really "authentic"..
so was it a really short fringe like here?:
http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images...ers-blonde.jpg
( note only the fringe of course
wink.gif
)

or was it a "longer" version?

If I can't find a photo, I shall have to try to draw something.

...and i've seen in barcelona a lot of girls wearing those really colourful two tone tonic suits. so i'm planing to get a suit made, just wondering which colours where the most popular?

Around S E London it would have been blue, green, grey, or brown mostly

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When we started wearing Fred Perrys is was at the end of the Skinhead Period, Late 70, maybe going into 71, I remember that Red was Popular, wearing it with a Crombie, red hankie and red socks. My hair was quite long at this time.
I had most colours, Orange was another popular colour, We would often wear a Fred Perry...with a Sleeve less V neck Jumper.

Rude.Gal

Reaction score
thank you so much for your help
smile.gif

so i'll turn my "straight" fringe as soon as possible to an arched.. hopefully it will suit my face
wink.gif

another question: what do you thing about the britac shirts?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Okay, it was something like this:

girl%201.jpg

Spot on MoM, And well done for going to the trouble to do the drawing, Another bit of Skinhead History taken care off.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another question: what do you thing about the britac shirts?

they're ok. nice selection of checks. their cotton is a bit hard feeling to me. fit is slim at chest/shoulder, but kind of big thru body so almost no taper to the shape, had to have mine taken in a bit. Prefer other similar shirts like Mikkel Rude, Jump the Gun, DNA Groove, etc. where I can wear out of the bag with no tailoring

mikeynyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Okay, it was something like this:

girl%201.jpg

now that you have an idea, do a google image search for "skinbyrd" or "skinbird" or "skinhead girl" and you'll see different variations or it. shaved, short longer, etc.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, Mikey. But what we're trying to get to is the original London look.

albion

Reaction score
Something like this, perhaps? although her fringe seems to have been cut slightly wonky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads