• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
Just 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill after work tonight. As much as I hate running on treadmills, the 20 inches of snow and below zero wind chills are preventing me from going the 3 blocks east to the lakefront path. Have an 8K race coming up in early April and trying to decide if I want to do a half marathon this summer. I've already done 3 and thinking I might need a new challenge.

Question to the other runners: last week I ran about 3 1/2 miles 3 nights in a row on the treadmill. The 3rd night I woke up with knee pain. I took an aleve and a few days off and I feel fine. I've since run on the treadmill, but never 2 days in a row. I've run 3 half marathons, 2 15K's, 4 8K's over the last few years and have had no problem running multiple days in a row outside. Do you guys think this is because of the treadmill? I've heard they can be especially bad on knees.

where was the pain in the knee located?
out side of the patella? Lower outside?
If so, its your pateller tendon, which is an easy fix.
Treadmills are better for your knees than running on roads. They are designed to absorb most of the shock and are a smooth perfect running surface.

Is the 8k the Shamrock Shuffle?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antirabbit - Thats awesome man! Its great to hear that you are gonna go after some ultras. I just read an article about innov8s, I think I need to grab a pair. The road editions look fast as f*ck.
Are you gonna go for a particular training program to get ready for the 50 ks? I am curious because I am looking into running the Wild West 50k this may. From what I understand for the 50k you can adapt a pretty standard marathon plan to replace speedwork with hills/strength. (did you read the report from the Rocky Raccoon this weekend? The winner posted 100 miles at a 7:38 min/mile average - INSANE)
Post some pics of those innov8s if its convenient.
I am just letting the dead blood cells drain from my legs for the second day today, but I am not feeling sore enough not to run, although I know I need to be cautious getting back into the routine.

Thomas - are you doing austin? not the flattest race Ive ever seen but the last 2 miles seem down hill so that could factor in to help you close strong.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Antirabbit - Thats awesome man! Its great to hear that you are gonna go after some ultras. I just read an article about innov8s, I think I need to grab a pair. The road editions look fast as f*ck. Are you gonna go for a particular training program to get ready for the 50 ks? I am curious because I am looking into running the Wild West 50k this may. From what I understand for the 50k you can adapt a pretty standard marathon plan to replace speedwork with hills/strength. (did you read the report from the Rocky Raccoon this weekend? The winner posted 100 miles at a 7:38 min/mile average - INSANE) Post some pics of those innov8s if its convenient. I am just letting the dead blood cells drain from my legs for the second day today, but I am not feeling sore enough not to run, although I know I need to be cautious getting back into the routine. Thomas - are you doing austin? not the flattest race Ive ever seen but the last 2 miles seem down hill so that could factor in to help you close strong.
Honestly, I will likely get up to daily trainers of about 12-15, then do a few long runs in the 25+ range. The key issue and advice I have had identified is decents of hills. My brother (who has done Ironman HI 3 times), did White River last year, the final 6 miles of the race took him 2 hrs. The reason for this is there is a 13 mile decent prior the final 6 and his quads were thrashed after this. The last 6 of that race is flat as a pancake! The race setting I am going to be in will be a bit different as it is not in the mountains. The Kettle Morraine is full of lots of small (200-400 vert ft) climbs and decents. I can train for this in my secret spot (400-500 vert ft x 10 repeats). So my plan is some serious hill training 2-3 runs over 25 miles, at least one that will be in excess of 30 miles. Most folks do fine at or slightly above the distance they train to, from there it can get sketchy. This is why I am not going to do a 50 miler! Daily runs in the 12-15 mile range. Likely some speed training too, though I am pretty consistant over distances. Im just not that fast! Ill post the inov8's today, they are sweet! I actually was glued to my Blackberry all Sat. getting tweets on the RR 100. That was INSANE! Good luck to your recovery. Again, awesome race!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
grrrr.

We were both slumping, hopefully we'll snap out of it like you guys did. And yes, O6 hockey is the best.

4.5 miles yesterday for me, today a well deserved day off after gym or running 6 days in a row...my 34 yr old body is screaming at me.

You've gotta rest it sometime, do it before something goes haywire and you're laid up again.

Originally Posted by kgmessier
I turn 40 in four months, so take yer bitchin' someplace else.
wink.gif

Didn't get to run today. I'm still at the office. Might hit the dreadmill before I head home, but that would mean wifey will be in bed by then.

Guess now I'm the one bitchin'.
eh.gif

Wait - I turn 40 in four months as well! crap!

Originally Posted by GSquared
First time poster here.

Just finished Week 1 Day 3 of the Couch to 5K routine. So far, so good. Got in 2.3 miles in 30 min.

Side note: Also, just bought 'The Stick' on amazon today. Can't wait for that to get here so that I can iron out my legs. They are super tight.

Nice, do you have a race scheduled yet? Good luck!

Originally Posted by antirabbit
Ive taken a few days off, to try to heal an issue in my foot.

Im formally commiting to 2 races this year. Both are 50K trail races.
One in May and one in Sept.
Im sure Ill throw more in, but I dont want to blow too much money for fear that I will get a bone donor and that will pretty much take me out of running for 4-6 months.

(...)

HOLY COW good luck man!

Originally Posted by samblackbones
(...)

Thomas - are you doing austin? not the flattest race Ive ever seen but the last 2 miles seem down hill so that could factor in to help you close strong.

I am sorely tempted but today's run felt flat. I was up late last night and early again in the morning so that could have contributed, but I just don't feel in control like I did a few weeks back. It's 1 1/2 weeks out...and I think I have another commitment that weekend anyway
frown.gif

So, today: 4 miles in 30:02 which is a good pace all things considered, but I wanted to go faster and it wasn't there. Well, I take that back, I kicked it in for the last quarter-mile or so, but I didn't feel strong, and I didn't feel like I could go on indefinitely, either. Tomorrow the temp drops back under 30, which means I rest again and see if that helps.

neiltat

Reaction score
Started on the 1st of January, get fit for the new year. Managed about 7 mins first time i went out. I can now run 5 miles without stopping, ive coughed away the last of the tar from my lungs (stopped smoking on the 1st too) and feel ten years younger.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Now I've just gotta ask: When's your birthday?

June 2. Always sneaks up on me like that.

Originally Posted by neiltat
Started on the 1st of January, get fit for the new year. Managed about 7 mins first time i went out. I can now run 5 miles without stopping, ive coughed away the last of the tar from my lungs (stopped smoking on the 1st too) and feel ten years younger.

Congratulations!

GSquared

Reaction score
Thomas - I'm doing the Warrior Dash in July - Mud Run obstacle course that is about 5k. Also, looking to do one in May. In Minneapolis in May, you can find many 5k's each weekend.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Was tardy posting this, but ran the NYRR Gridiron Classic (4 miles) in 25:48 on Sunday.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
On another shoe note, Im fixing to get some Saucony Peregrines (the new Kinvara trail shoe) and a pair of NB MT101 to dial in what shoe to train and race in. Any thoughts on these? Im pretty sure the shoes Im in now are as minmal as the MT's and the Saucony will be just like what I am used to for road running.

I just received my pair of peregrine's and am pretty excited abou them . I too am debating between running my 50 milers in those and the PI Peak xc's I also just bought. I ran 2 50 miler's last year in Saucony Xodus (1 & 2) and although they are great shoes they did feel heavy late in the race, so I want to move from a 12oz shoe to a sub 10oz shoe.

I've run in the peregrine's once, on snow and street (not trail) and they are def a touch stiffer than the kinvara's, but they feel good.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
where was the pain in the knee located?
out side of the patella? Lower outside?
If so, its your pateller tendon, which is an easy fix.
Treadmills are better for your knees than running on roads. They are designed to absorb most of the shock and are a smooth perfect running surface.

Is the 8k the Shamrock Shuffle?

Antirabbit - thanks for the response. Yes, I believe it was the lower outside area. What is the easy fix? I haven't had the pain since last week, but I also haven't run 3 days in a row since then.

Yes, it's the Shamrock Shuffle. That race can be brutally crowded unless you get in a start corral. Luckily, I am in corral B. Are you running it?

poissa

Reaction score
new to this club... ran 2 miles... first 14:00mins were run at a 6mph pace the rest was done at 10mph ~1min then 4.0mph ... 10.5mph ~45sec til I got to 20min..total like 2.05 miles... sigh that's terrible

Lowndes

Reaction score
5.5 miles through central park this evening in 42 minutes.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a short but fast (for me) run. 2.97 miles in 24:25 (avg. 8:14 min/mi) Today's shuffle playlist: Led Zeppelin - "The Lemon Song" Tool - "10,000 Days (Wings, Pt. 2)" Radiohead - "Creep" Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song" Radiohead - "Jigsaw Falling Into Place"
Originally Posted by poissa
new to this club... ran 2 miles... first 14:00mins were run at a 6mph pace the rest was done at 10mph ~1min then 4.0mph ... 10.5mph ~45sec til I got to 20min..total like 2.05 miles... sigh that's terrible
No, it's not terrible. Look at your personal progress rather than comparing yourself to others in "this club." I'm averaging about 8:40 min/mi, which is fine with me. My goal is to get down to an 8-minute mile average. If you look at some of these guys here, they're running sub-7s. I'd like to do that, but I'm realistic about my expectations. Six months ago, I was barely breaking nine minutes. It's about setting and achieving personal goals. It's about self-improvement. High five! - K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads