• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The laundry thread

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys put in the washing machine. I'm paranoid to put anything except tee-shirts, socks and underwear in there (and jeans, but I wear the hell out of em first). My OCBD feels like something you'd put in the washer though. Am I being overly cautious?

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
What do you guys put in the washing machine. I'm paranoid to put anything except tee-shirts, socks and underwear in there (and jeans, but I wear the hell out of em first). My OCBD feels like something you'd put in the washer though. Am I being overly cautious?

You must have one heck of a dry cleaning bill! If you are serious, yes, overly cautious...

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
You must have one heck of a dry cleaning bill! If you are serious, yes, overly cautious...
It's not too bad in Korea. It'd kill me in the states though. EDIT: And I am serious. I don't want my dress shirts getting dull and floppy and forcing me to abscond back to my country of origin to find crap that fits.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
It's not too bad in Korea. It'd kill me in the states though.

EDIT: And I am serious. I don't want my dress shirts getting dull and floppy and forcing me to abscond back to my country of origin to find crap that fits.

Dress shirts last longer if you wash them in cold water and hang dry than if you have them laundered commercially

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not too bad in Korea. It'd kill me in the states though.

EDIT: And I am serious. I don't want my dress shirts getting dull and floppy and forcing me to abscond back to my country of origin to find crap that fits.

i soak my dress shirts in my bathroom sink and hang dry. just bout everything else gets put in the washing machine save dry clean only stuff. and yes you are being overly cautious!

D Yizz

Reaction score
Everything machine washable as per the label's instructions goes in the washing machine, albeit on the proper washing cycle. I tend to be a bit more careful with the dryer, after a couple of shrinking incidents. My dress shirts are usually hang dried.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I launder all my dress shirts. Can't be bothered otherwise, which is a little ominous considering many of them are in the $200 range. Considering washing then hanging shirts then ironing makes me crazy.

TRA8324

Reaction score
I launder all my clothes in cold water, and I usually hang dry all my shirts and pants. This keeps the fabric in better quality and it prevents the shirts from shrinking since I prefer my shirts fitted and try to buy the smallest size possible.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to send off 7 shirts a week to the cleaners. I recently moved into a new place and bought a washing machine. All of my dress shirts go right in there. I Shout the underams, collars, and cuffs add a bit of detergent. Hang dry. I iron them myself and ever since I have been doing this I realize how much better my shirts come out than when I had them cleaned at one of the good cleaners here in New York.

Anything wool other than socks I still send to the cleaners.

I think my main gripe with dry cleaners is that they shrink things too much and press the **** out of everything. Waaay too much pressing and creasing that just breaks down collars and seams and such.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash dress shirts, sport shirts, cotton trousers and jeans in cold water and hang/lay to dry. Socks and underwear wash warm and tumble dry. Everything else is dirty.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use woolite on the delicate cycle in cold water for my nice shirts and cotton pants. Then I hang dry. Sometimes I have to iron, sometimes a good steam from my steamer will do
teacha.gif

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I use woolite on the delicate cycle in cold water for my nice shirts and cotton pants. Then I hang dry. Sometimes I have to iron, sometimes a good steam from my steamer will do
teacha.gif

+1. Except i just put it on a normal wash cycle. Never had issues with fraying or buttons cracking. Although if they are dyed MOP, use foil to cover the buttons, or the dye will fade over time. I have a front load washer with no agitator (LG Washer).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
+1. Except i just put it on a normal wash cycle. Never had issues with fraying or buttons cracking. Although if they are dyed MOP, use foil to cover the buttons, or the dye will fade over time. I have a front load washer with no agitator (LG Washer).

I don't see a need to wash cotton shirts on the delicate cycle. Plus, it uses less water and I feel that it doesn't always rinse out very well. Cold wash with regular spin (not max spin) seems just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads