• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to tackle the full Epaulet suit? My tax return is coming up and the money that doesn't get tossed into my bills is going to get tossed into my closet. I've already got a pair of Thorogoods and Smiths that I all but live in -- seriously, my Smiths are at Self Edge to repair a crotch blow-out and I feel like someone separated me from my skin.

I'm thinking about picking up the cadet grey suit (500 - 600 or something total, right?) or just the tweed sportcoat, but I understand they're both a little bit heavy and it feels like (on this sunny February day in NYC) that Spring is inching ever nearer.

I alternately might blow it on trousers and shirting.

Dear Epaulet,

Please make some university stripe oxfords. They would be the bomb.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiosity, did they soak and wear until dry? Or were they dried and then worn?
I believe dried and then worn. It's just that this is a softer denim than a lot of the other stuff out there, so it flexes a lot with the soak. It might not be an issue, but if they do feel much bigger, then they should shrink down with a warm wash.
Originally Posted by dls6128
Call me crazy, but is it possible that some of the older denim was unsanforized? I picked up an old pair of Smiths a while ago that were slightly too big for me, so I tried hotsoaking/drying them yesterday. The inseam shrank from 35" to 31", and the waist went from ~31" to 28".
That denim was crazy, but it's not a permanent thing. If you measure the rise, I'm sure that it's freakishly short too. Just fight them onto your body and wear them around for a few hours. They will stretch out to a reasonable size - although the inseam is going to be permanently around 33 to 33.5". It will take some work, but the shrinkage will be less extreme with each progressive wash.
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Do you guys plan on having linen/cotton sportscoats for the spring/summer time?
You bet. Got Sportcoats coming from Our Legacy and Gant Michael Bastian. And, I'm actively working on a Sportcoat surprise for mid-March will will include a classic white/grey Nassau seersucker.
Originally Posted by dsoren
You guys need to stop being such hipsters. I guess it's a Brooklyn thing. That hair is sweet. Please post that GANT parka, I need it in my life!
Haha, working on it - I promise that we'll have deets tomorrow! And I'm not sure what happened with his hair in the pic - he didn't look quite so much like Morrissey in real life. BTW, Comme fragrances are awesome. I've been buying them for the past few years, but only picked them up for the store today. Looking forward to having them here.
Originally Posted by thebarsmydestination
Has anyone tried to tackle the full Epaulet suit? My tax return is coming up and the money that doesn't get tossed into my bills is going to get tossed into my closet. I've already got a pair of Thorogoods and Smiths that I all but live in -- seriously, my Smiths are at Self Edge to repair a crotch blow-out and I feel like someone separated me from my skin. I'm thinking about picking up the cadet grey suit (500 - 600 or something total, right?) or just the tweed sportcoat, but I understand they're both a little bit heavy and it feels like (on this sunny February day in NYC) that Spring is inching ever nearer. I alternately might blow it on trousers and shirting. Dear Epaulet, Please make some university stripe oxfords. They would be the bomb.
Haha, thanks! Well, I'm working on a new suit that will be a true year-round Super 120's fabric in a basic medium grey. 3-to-2 roll front, double vented back. Fully lined, half-canvassed. Made in the United States. Available as separates. Retail is going to be around $750 for both pieces, but this is going to be PROPER. Delivery is scheduled for late March.
Originally Posted by thenanyu
I have an Epaulet suit from the very first batch of sportcoats. I rarely wear the top and bottom together - but if I ever do, I will poast a picture here.
Hee hee, I still like "poal" and "poast"
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Mike, have you shown a preview of what the MKII sea fighter watches will look like?
Oh man, I need to change my sig. Sorry about that! We actually sold them out almost instantly at our BK store, so they never made it to the website. I still have one Vantage left, and we're supposed to get a delivery of the Mil-Sub's sometime in the next 4-6 weeks.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Well, I'm working on a new suit that will be a true year-round Super 120's fabric in a basic medium grey. 3-to-2 roll front, double vented back. Fully lined, half-canvassed. Made in the United States. Available as separates. Retail is going to be around $750 for both pieces, but this is going to be PROPER. Delivery is scheduled for late March.

Dude... I'm almost afraid to ask... but will these include a size 34?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
everything Epaulet except the belt:

IMG_2104.jpg

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your pics always look so crisp, StanVan, and mine always look grainy. I'm sure part of it is the natural lighting outdoors. What camera are you using?

- K

P.S. Great fit!

flipsilk

Reaction score
Well, I'm working on a new suit that will be a true year-round Super 120's fabric in a basic medium grey. 3-to-2 roll front, double vented back. Fully lined, half-canvassed. Made in the United States. Available as separates. Retail is going to be around $750 for both pieces, but this is going to be PROPER. Delivery is scheduled for late March.

So besides weight... what's the difference between this and the current suit offering that constitutes the $250 price bump. I know your prices are always justified, just curious about the details. Thanks Mike

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Your pics always look so crisp, StanVan, and mine always look grainy. I'm sure part of it is the natural lighting outdoors. What camera are you using?

- K

P.S. Great fit!

Thanks, yeah it's mostly due to being outside and having natural light. That will make the biggest difference, with any camera. Mine is a Canon G10.

Originally Posted by .Impulsv
SVB: How tall are you?

5'10"

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
You bet. Got Sportcoats coming from Our Legacy and Gant Michael Bastian. And, I'm actively working on a Sportcoat surprise for mid-March will will include a classic white/grey Nassau seersucker.

Fantastic as a follow up to this: Will these be 3 button or 2 button sportscoats?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Woah what kind of milsubs are you expecting?What's the pricepoint. I love the MKII milsubs.

We tweaked the details quite a bit, and it will be murdered out on the top with PVD coating on the case and bezel. The coating was pricey, so I'm thinking that it's going to be around $1300 or so. Haven't gotten the final pricing yet.

And I've got a new delivery of Vantages in the works - we should have another 6 pcs in the next month or so.

Originally Posted by dsoren
I have been looking for a nice chunky cardigan and just came across the Epaulet one. Anyone have any comments on it? Does it fit TTS, i.e. does a 36 match up well to a 36 blazer?

Fit-wise, the 36 would be spot-on for you. Chunky handknits like this also have a really great way of molding to you too.

Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Dude... I'm almost afraid to ask... but will these include a size 34?

You bet! We'll do a 44 for the first run too.

Originally Posted by flipsilk
So besides weight... what's the difference between this and the current suit offering that constitutes the $250 price bump. I know your prices are always justified, just curious about the details. Thanks Mike

It's the construction. These will be half-canvassed so that the jacket lays perfectly.

Our "Desmond" jacket was fused. The fit is excellent, and it has soft-construction throughout. If you're familiar with sportcoats from Rag and Bone (the ones around $700), Monitaly, Shipley & Halmos, etc. then it will give you an idea of how it looks. As a casual jacket, it's fantastic and a great value. Thicker fabrics like the tweed and cadet grey merino wool make up really nicely.

However, when doing it up in a true year-round fine 120's fabric, you need solid canvassed construction to give it the proper shape and ensure that it endures through a ton of wear. Our production for this will be awesome, and we'll detail everything about it when we launch.

Originally Posted by kgmessier

- K

P.S. Great fit!

Oh man, that California light. There's nothing like it.

Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Fantastic as a follow up to this: Will these be 3 button or 2 button sportscoats?

3-roll-2. So you can wear as either a 3 button or 2 button, but most guys will wear as a two-button and let the top roll away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads