• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whither Vox?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Nonsie
RSS was fantastic. He affected my bespoke experience as much as anyone.
Already speaking of me in the past tense. Time to go.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Indeed. Even before that, you had guys like AHarris yachtie, Lucky Strike and the like (although this was during my lurker days -- about 4 years ago).

I miss the more serious discussions and even the pedagogical attitude that was prevalent on the forum.

I agree. I'm not exactly certain where that dialogue has gone. The other forums are in poor or worse shape.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all indicates not only diminished interest on behalf of individual posters, but also that our chosen subject itself is perhaps not as inexhaustibly fascinating as it once seemed. A few years ago it was revelatory to find online forums populated with other men interested in seriously geeking out about clothing; battalions of previously isolated and/or closeted dandies had lifetimes of notes to compare. A few years and many millions of dollars later, however, many of us realize we've all now read the same books and all contemptuously peruse all the same blogs; consequently, we're increasingly impatient with each other's endless repackaging of a precious few "primary sources" (e.g Apparel Arts plates) and slavish subscriptions to various cults (e.g. "drape," all things Rubinacci/Ambrosi, etc.). In short, we're all on to each other.

Especially within the highly proscribed circles of sartorial propriety we've drawn around ourselves in MC, there's just not enough aesthetic dialectic to keep the best of us coming back year after year.

Maybe one answer is to tear down the artificial wall between MC and SW&D. Those would be conversations I'd find interesting.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
I agree. I'm not exactly certain where that dialogue has gone. The other forums are in poor or worse shape.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all indicates not only diminished interest on behalf of individual posters, but also that our chosen subject itself is perhaps not as inexhaustibly fascinating as it once seemed. A few years ago it was revelatory to find online forums populated with other men interested in seriously geeking out about clothing; battalions of previously isolated and/or closeted dandies had lifetimes of notes to compare. A few years and many millions of dollars later, however, many of us realize we've all now read the same books and all contemptuously peruse all the same blogs; consequently, we're increasingly impatient with each other's endless repackaging of a precious few "primary sources" (e.g Apparel Arts plates) and slavish subscriptions to various cults (e.g. "drape," all things Rubinacci/Ambrosi, etc.). In short, we're all on to each other.

Especially within the highly proscribed circles of sartorial propriety we've drawn around ourselves in MC, there's just not enough aesthetic dialectic to keep the best of us coming back year after year.

Maybe one answer is to tear down the artificial wall between MC and SW&D. Those would be conversations I'd find interesting.

Very well said.

sellahi22

Reaction score

Really excellent post, I think you have nailed every nail on the head. The point about the chosen subject not being as inexhaustibly fascinating as it once seemed essentially applies to every non-current events message board on the internet.

I think the solution of tearing down the MC/SW&D wall is great, and I'd go a step further and tear down the walls with the food&drink and/or the fine living & design boards. I think this board needs to be about stylish living generally, and combining the different subject areas would help people gain perspective about how their clothes fit into their greater lifestyle. Such a move would also hopefully filter out much of the "help prom next week what should i wear" type noob threads.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOBD and ManOfKent are working that at the WAYRN thread level. Conversations, though, are far and few between.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Really excellent post, I think you have nailed every nail on the head. The point about the chosen subject not being as inexhaustibly fascinating as it once seemed essentially applies to every non-current events message board on the internet.

I think the solution of tearing down the MC/SW&D wall is great, and I'd go a step further and tear down the walls with the food&drink and/or the fine living & design boards. I think this board needs to be about stylish living generally, and combining the different subject areas would help people gain perspective about how their clothes fit into their greater lifestyle. Such a move would also hopefully filter out much of the "help prom next week what should i wear" type noob threads.

You want to create a lifestyle forum if I fully understand your way of thinking...

The idea is great because it will open so much intellectual, social and visual horizons to many of us..

A renaissance men forum with discussions about arts, movies , architecture , music and litterature..

It might also become a surrealist bazzar when people are talking about everything without really learning anything...

Beaune Head

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I think the solution of tearing down the MC/SW&D wall is great, and I'd go a step further and tear down the walls with the food&drink and/or the fine living & design boards. I think this board needs to be about stylish living generally, and combining the different subject areas would help people gain perspective about how their clothes fit into their greater lifestyle.

Good stuff. As a relative newcomer, it seems to me that there is a disproportionate emphasis on business wear, i.e. what to wear to the office. Not that many men wear suits to work any more, but there is apparently a growing number of guys who look for any excuse to "suit up" when going out for the evening. This aspect of MC is not really discussed all that much on the forum.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Sign of a great man...
past tense ... or leaving?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's gone all Latino, left the public marriage of SF [said something about it being like Rome circa 410], and found love privately.

- M

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
past tense ... or leaving?

Dead people are always more fondly remembered than during their lives...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Dead people are always more fondly remembered than during their lives...
Well, I'm not yet ready to kill myself for that benefit.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Evidently, reports of your demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Can I get your suits if you decide to cross the Rubicon?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads