• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to alter dress shirts

Fly1296

Reaction score
I'm a tall, fairly thin man, such that even fitted OTS dress shirts leave too much extra fabric in the body. I intend to purchase several bespoke "basic" shirts over the next several months but I still have a closet full of shirts that I like very much and would like to have altered to fit better. MY question is, what's the best method of altering a shirt, darts or simply taking them in at the sides? I had not considered darts before reading about them on SF, thinking them appropriate only for women's blouses. I like my shirts and jackets to fit very closely; I'm average build with a 42L jacket and 34-36/36 trouser I understand that one may not be better than the other but if one is preferable I want to make sure I find a tailor who can do it. thanks!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Typically i do both....it depends on the shirt though. If it fits well in the first place darts may be all you need. With my build i almost always do both though.

Fly1296

Reaction score
I know this is a big time newb question, but are the vertical seams around the waist area of a suit jacket considered darts?

On a men's shirt will darts only go in the back or can they go in front as well? Still trying to get my head around this
wow.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i dont believe so....not sure though.
eh.gif

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fly1296
I know this is a big time newb question, but are the vertical seams around the waist area of a suit jacket considered darts?

On a men's shirt will darts only go in the back or can they go in front as well? Still trying to get my head around this
wow.gif

Men's shirts + darts in front =
ffffuuuu.gif

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Men's shirts + darts in front =
ffffuuuu.gif

laugh.gif

That was my gut feeling...nice to see it confirmed!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif

That was my gut feeling...nice to see it confirmed!

It is a woman's shirt thing. To allow for more bewb drape. Unless of course you have mewbs?

DStew

Reaction score
I'm a tall, fairly thin man, such that even fitted OTS dress shirts leave too much extra fabric in the body. I intend to purchase several bespoke "basic" shirts over the next several months but I still have a closet full of shirts that I like very much and would like to have altered to fit better. MY question is, what's the best method of altering a shirt, darts or simply taking them in at the sides? I had not considered darts before reading about them on SF, thinking them appropriate only for women's blouses. I like my shirts and jackets to fit very closely; I'm average build with a 42L jacket and 34-36/36 trouser I understand that one may not be better than the other but if one is preferable I want to make sure I find a tailor who can do it. thanks!

I am tall and relatively skinny as well and I usually have the sides taken in at the seams but it does depend on the shirt. I sometimes have issues with OTR shirts not being long enough to tuck in on the sides. So taking in the the seams there actually helps a little sometimes.

il_colonnello

Reaction score

darts in the back - always
in the front - never

I also have around 20 pre-bespoke OTR shirts which I've had altered to make them slim enough for me. They all have darts now except for the ones which didn't have a plain back (I wouldn't combine darts with pleats).

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
darts in the back - always
in the front - never

I also have around 20 pre-bespoke OTR shirts which I've had altered to make them slim enough for me. They all have darts now except for the ones which didn't have a plain back (I wouldn't combine darts with pleats).

Regarding slimming shirts with pleats: is it possible to "close" a pleat such that it goes down the entire shirt? I'm talking about something like this(second picture). I take it the angle of the fabric connected to the yoke may cause a problem? Maybe it would be less noticeable to sew side pleats all the way down?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean the ones at the front, then yes they are darts (and the under-arm one can be a dart too, unless it is carried all the way to the hem in which case it is the side-body seam). I don't know why it is perfectly normal for jackets to have front darts yet on shirts it makes them 'feminine', just convention I suppose...
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
Regarding slimming shirts with pleats: is it possible to "close" a pleat such that it goes down the entire shirt? I'm talking about something like this(second picture). I take it the angle of the fabric connected to the yoke may cause a problem? Maybe it would be less noticeable to sew side pleats all the way down?
There's nothing stopping you sewing it like that, but pleats are usually added by slashing and spreading the pattern from the waist up, so sewing it down the whole length when the pattern was not designed for that will likely mess up the fit of the shirt.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see how you could make a shirt by "slashing" the pattern from the waist up. The grain of the fabric would be crooked. Now, that said, he's probably right that the shirt wasn't cut to have a closed pleat. But it would have the same effect as a dart in the back -- just all the way up. You need that extra room in the back above the waist to move around -- it's what the pleat is for.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
I think what Sanguis meant was that the is turned inward at the pleat up at the yoke, so the pattern really spreads from the yoke down.

I do understand the original reason for the pleat, but I have plenty of shirts with a 'clean' back and have no real trouble moving around in them. I also have a lot of shirts with back pleats that are very billowy, so the extra room won't really be lost.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
I don't see how you could make a shirt by "slashing" the pattern from the waist up. The grain of the fabric would be crooked.
You don't slash the fabric, you slash and spread the pattern to add a pleat. This is done with pattern paper before the pattern gets anywhere near any fabric, it's basic pattern manipulation...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You don't slash the fabric, you slash and spread the pattern to add a pleat. This is done with pattern paper before the pattern gets anywhere near any fabric, it's basic pattern manipulation...

Well obviously you can't simply spread the back pattern because it's a half pattern and the center has to be straight down the grain. So do you just spread it toward the armhole? Does it not matter if the armhole area is straight? I'm doing this with a couple pieces of notebook paper and it doesn't seem to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads