• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Severe Brooks Brothers issues

mdp0430

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't think the price or quality of a coat necessarily has anything to do with how warm it wears.

Perhaps, but not from an utilitarian point of view. A Saxxon wool overcoat, marketed as part of their Winter collection should be warm. I think that's a reasonable expectation. What do I mean by warm? I don't mean I should be sweating my balls off in 20 degree weather with a t-shirt underneath. On the otherhand, when it's 32 degrees I shouldn't feel a breeze with the coat and an undershirt, dress shirt, sweater, and scarf.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of purchasing a few pacific-rim BB shirts that were on sale, 3 for something reasonable. After a closer inspection, if you told me they were Izod or something, I wouldn't be surprised. I can barely look at their ugliness.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought 3 extra slim fit OCBDs a few weeks ago. After two washings (cold water wash and hang dry), one fits very well, one is kind of small and one is so small it's unwearable. Really ******* annoying. I'm going to call them and demand an exchange on the one that has shrunk. From now on, though, I will probably go with Lands End Hyde Park slim fit. Brooks OCBDs are just not what they used to be.
frown.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
Perhaps, but not from an utilitarian point of view. A Saxxon wool overcoat, marketed as part of their Winter collection should be warm. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I made the mistake of purchasing a few pacific-rim BB shirts that were on sale, 3 for something reasonable. After a closer inspection, if you told me they were Izod or something, I wouldn't be surprised. I can barely look at their ugliness.

Originally Posted by Connemara
I bought 3 extra slim fit OCBDs a few weeks ago. After two washings (cold water wash and hang dry), one fits very well, one is kind of small and one is so small it's unwearable.

you three just need to return them... call customer service and they will take it back. They have an unlimited return policy DUH.

If you are not completely satisfied they will make you satisfied. So really there is no reason to be pissed off here when all you have to do is a call customer service and say you want an exchange or refund.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
you three just need to return them... call customer service and they will take it back. They have an unlimited return policy DUH.

If you are not completely satisfied they will make you satisfied. So really there is no reason to be pissed off here when all you have to do is a call customer service and say you want an exchange or refund.

Interesting. I have two extra slim fit non-iron shirts that i would love to exchange for their regular cotton extra slim fit. Will they do this in store?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Interesting. I have two extra slim fit non-iron shirts that i would love to exchange for their regular cotton extra slim fit. Will they do this in store?

If they are priced the same (which they generally are) it should not be an issue. I returned three non-iron shirts that I have worn for nearly two years recently. I had to talk to the manager, but they did it without comment. I kept expecting them to soften up a bit and not chaff my skin, but they did not. I would encourage anyone who does not like the non iron shirts to return them. Perhaps BB will go back to making shirts out of better materials.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will not stop making the non iorn shirts anytime soon since it bassically makes up half of their sales

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will not stop making the non iorn shirts anytime soon since it bassically makes up half of their sales

And half of their returns?

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Unfortunately, you are correct on this. I was in the Chevy Chase, MD Brooks Brothers store recently, and the manager said they are actually going to be carrying fewer and fewer all-cotton shirts in favor of more non-iron as that is where the demand is growing. Unbelievable.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
Unfortunately, you are correct on this. I was in the Chevy Chase, MD Brooks Brothers store recently, and the manager said they are actually going to be carrying fewer and fewer all-cotton shirts in favor of more non-iron as that is where the demand is growing. Unbelievable.

I can't even find a light blue, regular cotton, extra slim fit shirt with anything but button down or pinpoint anymore
frown.gif

All they have is white
ffffuuuu.gif

P.S. Why doesn't BB make a good spread collar? All they have in Ainsley but that seems to be in short supply

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have about 40 collar options through their MTO program btw

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Not true, Hong Kong puts out some fantastic clothing and I'm impressed by a lot of what's made in China these days.

Brooks Golden Fleece is fantastic and at reasonable price levels. Their shirts are $175-$200 and suits are about $1600-$2300. That's not bad at all.

I only buy their GF suits and iron needed shirt (luxury and BF Supina) and I find them all to be great quality as well as their shoes. I usually get their stuff on sale so about $1000 for a GF suit.

Also, I like their travel bags and have found them to be great quality.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll just piggyback on this one…

I picked up a BB Fitzgerald sport coat yesterday and need to have it taken in a bit at the waist. The SA suggested I take it to one of the larger BBs to have one of their in-house tailors do the work. Is there a real advantage to having them do the work versus bringing it to my own tailor? I have no experience with BB in-house tailoring.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll just piggyback on this one...

I picked up a BB Fitzgerald sport coat yesterday and need to have it taken in a bit at the waist. The SA suggested I take it to one of the larger BBs to have one of their in-house tailors do the work. Is there a real advantage to having them do the work versus bringing it to my own tailor? I have no experience with BB in-house tailoring.

If the best alterations tailor in your area is closer go to them. If the larger BB is close go there. I don't think it makes much difference. Taking in a jacket a bit in the waist is Sewing 101.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads