• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I love the RRV. It's like home to me.
inlove.gif

This surprises me.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why?
For the same reasons I was surprised whnay was drinking Mollydooker. KB would seem, um, different in character, than wines you've expressed interest in previously. I may, however, be confusing you with another poster. You've been working/training as a sommelier, no?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
For the same reasons I was surprised whnay was drinking Mollydooker. KB would seem, um, different in character, than wines you've expressed interest in previously. I may, however, be confusing you with another poster. You've been working/training as a sommelier, no?

Even if you're into the funkiest, most austere Burg, what's not to like about a KB? Sure, almost like it's from a different grape but it is easy to drink and actually has some depth to its lushness and fruit.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Even if you're into the funkiest, most austere Burg, what's not to like about a KB? Sure, almost like it's from a different grape but it is easy to drink and actually has some depth to its lushness and fruit.

If I had to pick a wine that represented what I dislike most in CA wine, it would be Kosta Browne. I've tasted several of their wines, my sister is on their mailing list, and I'm not sure I've ever actually swallowed a taste. I don't generally care for big alcoholic wines, but some grapes take that style better than others. Pinot isn't one of them. And I say that as someone who doesn't drink much red Burgundy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If I had to pick a wine that represented what I dislike most in CA wine, it would be Kosta Browne. I've tasted several of their wines, my sister is on their mailing list, and I'm not sure I've ever actually swallowed a taste. I don't generally care for big alcoholic wines, but some grapes take that style better than others. Pinot isn't one of them. And I say that as someone who doesn't drink much red Burgundy.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
from this past weekend. The Valpolicella was $20 and awesome, easily the best I've had at less than $35:
2257462890043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

and a burg. This one was ok, it needs a little bit of time to integrate (I knew it was young from the start). Would try again next year:
2331099410043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a bottle of Regis Bouvier Clos du Roy 2007 Marsannay Blanc last night. A 25-30 dollar wine, it has the complexity of a $70-80 puligny. Really excellent, and as improved a lot over the last year.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Ohhhh, yeah, I get why you're confused then. I've never tasted a Kosta Browne wine. I meant that I consider the Russian River Valley itself home, because that's really where I feel like I came into adulthood and "made it" on my own and as a professional. I like CA pinot, but was told by a master sommelier that I had a very European palate, which I considered a compliment.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh, yeah, I get why you're confused then. I've never tasted a Kosta Browne wine. I meant that I consider the Russian River Valley itself home, because that's really where I feel like I came into adulthood and "made it" on my own and as a professional. I like CA pinot, but was told by a master sommelier that I had a very European palate, which I considered a compliment.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were saying the Kosta Browne RRV bottling was like home to you. My bad.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KOSTA BROWNE! My allocation is here too and I'm excited to get some more.

If you want to know more about KB let me know as I'm originally from that part of northern california.

Williams Selyem and KB allocation here I come!!

Cheers

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the person who said he didnt like KB, I automatically thought "hes out of his mind". Then again, everyone is different. I'm not a big pinot fan either whereas I'm a huge cab fan but I love the pinots from sonoma valley.

If you dont like KB, try Williams Selyem. They are arguably the most renowned pinot maker in sonoma county. They have a cult like following. If not, try Rivers marie. Moderately priced and tasty.

If you want to spend some bucks, try Sea Smoke near San Luis Obispo. Very very very good! Probably the best out of all I've had.

Cheers

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
On this forum, Merry Edwards is the cream of the Sonoma crop. I say that with full confidence because I'm the most important member of the forum, and I love it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't really like Pinot but I find Loring has the least fruit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads