• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strands $265 Good Deal?

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew
Hmmm. So 187 for seconds or 236 for New? Not sure which way to go.

I have an AE store pretty close to my office so it is nice to just stop in and make sure I get the size right and just order from them. But ~50$ is a large difference and Im not the kind of person that will probably notice any small defects on a pair of seconds.

I would recommend giving the seconds store a call and talking to them. Let them know that you are a little picky and that you're willing to accept minor flaws, but if something comes in with heavy scuffing or weird problems it will be returned.

While most seconds look very good, some can be really bad. Of the four I bought:

Leeds - were absolutely perfect - no idea why they were seconds
Plain toe (I forget which) - perfect condition
Clifton - worst of the bunch, had very odd distressed leather on the side that I found unacceptable
Loafer (I forget which) - moderate scuffing on the front toe of one of them. Bad enough where I returned it

So... I've run around 50%.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try checking shoebuy.com as well. They frequently have 20% off sales, plus an additional 10% off to new customers. There's also no tax and free shipping, so you can pick up a pair of brand new Strands for about $206

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the return policy on seconds?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Forgot to add, if you are patient, you can probably score a great deal on eBay. Gently used or sometimes even BNIB can be had below retail.

I picked up an extremely gently used pair of Strands in 11D for $150/shipped. Worn handful of times, max.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I picked up an extremely gently used pair of Strands in 11D for $150/shipped. Worn handful of times, max.

So are you telling me you are willing to sell me your pair!??!
bounce2.gif
Ha I Kid.

Congrats on a great score!!!

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Try checking shoebuy.com as well. They frequently have 20% off sales, plus an additional 10% off to new customers. There's also no tax and free shipping, so you can pick up a pair of brand new Strands for about $206

I bought a pair of Park Avenues at Shoebuy for 20% off and an Ebates rebate of 10% of of that just after Christmas. I then ordered a pair of Lombards after registering at Shoebuy, found a $75 off of $275 or more coupon, and with the 10% new member discount, getting them for $189.

Shoebuy's discounts usually are not on most AE's, at least from my watching over the past year. For instance, there's a 20% coupon now but they don't allow it for Strand or most of the other AE's. I'm really after a pair of Strands, too, and will probably order a pair of seconds from the Shoe Bank on Thursday.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Broadus
I bought a pair of Park Avenues at Shoebuy for 20% off and an Ebates rebate of 10% of of that just after Christmas. I then ordered a pair of Lombards after registering at Shoebuy, found a $75 off of $275 or more coupon, and with the 10% new member discount, getting them for $189.

Shoebuy's discounts usually are not on most AE's, at least from my watching over the past year. For instance, there's a 20% coupon now but they don't allow it for Strand or most of the other AE's. I'm really after a pair of Strands, too, and will probably order a pair of seconds from the Shoe Bank on Thursday.

Why wouldn't you just wait until Thursday and buy them fro AE?

Broadus

Reaction score
. . . . I'm really after a pair of Strands, too, and will probably order a pair of seconds from the Shoe Bank on Thursday.

Originally Posted by dieselman89
Why wouldn't you just wait until Thursday and buy them fro AE?

smile.gif

Did you read "Shoe Bank" in my post as "Shoe Buy"? I plan to order a pair of Strands on Thursday from the AE Shoe Bank.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's strange...I didn't have any issues using stacked 20% and 10% discounts when I bought my Strands from shoebuy.com. Maybe they changed their policy since then...

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
That's strange...I didn't have any issues using stacked 20% and 10% discounts when I bought my Strands from shoebuy.com. Maybe they changed their policy since then...

I think it depends on Allen Edmonds, since the shoes are shipped from AE to the customer. At any rate, Shoebuy has a 20% off coupon through 2-28, EMLSWEET11. I tried it with the Strand, but it wasn't allowed. I tried it on the Van Ness and it was accepted. I would love to be wrong!

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stands are $294 from shoebuy.com I tried using the promo and got this.

"* Some items not included in this promotion. Style Strand is excluded from all promotions"

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Stands are $294 from shoebuy.com I tried using the promo and got this.

"* Some items not included in this promotion. Style Strand is excluded from all promotions"

That is what I usually find with Shoebuy coupons, so I was surprised when I got a coupon to work with the PA's the day after Christmas. And, as I said above, a few models will be allowed even when most are not. I suspect it's AE's call.

DStew

Reaction score
Im assuming Shoebuy.com will match the 20% off from AE and then I am hoping that I can use the 10% for new customer from them. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Otherwise ill probably try seconds.

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew
Im assuming Shoebuy.com will match the 20% off from AE and then I am hoping that I can use the 10% for new customer from them. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Otherwise ill probably try seconds.

I don't remember if the price has been mentioned, but the Shoe Bank sale will have Strand seconds for $187.20.

Stylego

Reaction score
So, is the Shoe Bank sale something that will show up on the website, or do I need to contact the store directly? (I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, for some reason I wasn't finding the information.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics