• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

bunty

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned the Mile End mob (wasn't it so that Leather usaaf flight jackets could only be bought in Brixton around '68?), Bunty, they got mentioned recently in the article about the South London Mods and on the same site but an older article (that was more focused on the gang side of Mods) also mentioned a few other mod crews including Somers Town, also got mentioned here, interesting to see them still going strong into the skinhead era.

Anyone knows if the other mod crews mentioned where still around back then? The Highbury mob, The Mars (Blackstock Road), Elephant and Castle and The Archway mob on which the author himself was part off?[/quote]

Hello mate, the story goes that in 67 or 68 some lads from Waltham Cross knew lads from East London and invited them down to a club in Cheshunt What happened next went down in local mod history.These geezers (The Mile End Crew/Mob) came in, dressed identically in THOSE jackets (which they never took off all night !) levis with a small turn up , and very short parted hair with sidies. They all danced the same in a different style (in a line) that nobody was doing yet and of course the girls descended on them....Local boys were not at all impressed but were in awe. They did become firm friends never the less, despite coming from different areas and supprting different teams Spurs/West Ham. After this, the flying jacket idea was nicked and an identifying uniform was developed/ripped off .I 've heard this story a couple of times so the emotional scars ran deep.
Heard about the Walthamstow boys and knew a bloke who was a member of a big gang of scooter mods from Enfield in 66/67..anybody heard of them ?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
I don't know, in the colour one the title is The White Horse - Church Road (1970/1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/3241339...n/photostream/ and the b&w one as The White Hart - Church Road/Willesden High Road NW10 (1970/1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/3241339...n/photostream/ Spelling mistake maybe horse=hart?
Thanks for putting those links up, I sort of remember the lad who is sticking his head out, in the BW photo, Someone on the link mentioned Trojan Records, that was over the road in Neasden Land, We would get in there asking for pre releases and demos, they would just fcuk us off. As you can see the Willesden mob was not the smartest of crews, they was also a couple of years older than us, The Neasden mob was the younger part of the Willesden, We had a few run inns with them, I went to school with half of them, The School was Alyestone High, Now Queens Park Community school lol. NW London was a wacky place back then, Half the things that went on i could not put down in writing on here, It was a madness, As i have said i was drinking in Kilburn with some of my mates from the 60s, over Xmas. We started talking about the past, Even with a drink down me I felt depressed and a little sickened by what some got up to. I have to say that most of us was good kids, but their was some wicked fcukers around us. And i have to say most of the **** they done , they paid the price, and done their time. We worked it out that 40% are now dead, The first one died in 70, at 16, one of the most resent.. was a mate stabbed to death at the age of 56 in a pub in Kilburn, He had drunk in this pub for the last 40 odd years, and lived just across the road. Just to add, I work a couple of miles from Church Road Willesden, I will pop over during the week to jog my memory about the two pubs mentioned, I know as someone said the one on the roundabout was demolished a couple of years ago, i will keep you posted.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
do you know if any of the originals got back into the scene during the late 70s/early 80s Oi years? When you watch This is England, the character Combo says he is an "original skinhead from 1969"....wondering how accurate that is, if 69 era guys were still skinheads by 81 (or got back into it). I'd NEVER heard of such a thing, but there's a lot i've never heard!!
smile.gif

It's possible that Combo could have been a youngster in '69 and got back into it in his 20's? That must have been quite common? There's something in Nick Knight's book about pubs with Skin clientele made up of over 25's.

Originally Posted by Lasttye
Regarding the girls nose piercing, the only piercing in the 60s was a Girls ears, One for each ear. Boys never had earrings, Boys did start to have one ear pierced around 72?73 Copying David Essex, and Bowie, Which was way after the Skinheads.

Check out this picture taken outside Tiles club in '67. http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/337...143FD4AE7FC81B

The lad in the middle left with the striped tie looks like he's wearing an earring. I've got an alternative picture in another book and it definately looks like one.

The Willesden was our enemy but it never really came to blows, their was respect between the two mobs, In saying that the Kilburn Aggro mob was about four times bigger in Numbers.
Most the Willesden came off a estate called Curzon Crescent , It was notorious in the 60s, the name has been changed now.

Not Mozart Estate is it?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mozart estate was built around 76, When i got married in 77, we was after getting a council flat on there, In the 80s it was a no go area,
The Mozart is situated off Kilburn Lane NW6.... to the Harrow Road W1O, My Girlfriend now lives just across the road, In Queens Pk Kilburn, Nice quite area these Days lol.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to make the suit out, because she has arms crossed, the lapels look a bit wide to me, This suit may well be a suit worn in a present day office.

Just another thought about girls' suits - I think I've said this before - but south of the River I saw girls wearing mohair/Trevira/Prince-of-Wales suits in a variety of styles. The skirts were always short and tight, but the jackets varied. One or two girls wore 'baby doll' style jackets. Most other jackets were highly tailored and fitted, but varied in length between waist-level and hemline-level. Lapels too were varied; shorter jackets sometimes had none at all, some had narrow lapels like a guy's suit, or revere lapels, and some jackets were even double-breasted.

This is a point of style that revival girls never seemed to get.

BraveSuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Just another thought about girls' suits - I think I've said this before - but south of the River I saw girls wearing mohair/Trevira/Prince-of-Wales suits in a variety of styles. The skirts were always short and tight, but the jackets varied. One or two girls wore 'baby doll' style jackets. Most other jackets were highly tailored and fitted, but varied in length between waist-level and hemline-level. Lapels too were varied; shorter jackets sometimes had none at all, some had narrow lapels like a guy's suit, or revere lapels, and some jackets were even double-breasted.

This is how i remember skinhead girls from the late 60's (with maybe the elusive haircut).My older cousins and girls from school dressed like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinomeq...ba/4048260634/

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too, Brave, sort of... although to my old memory it seems that girls were a lot prettier in those days... maybe the photographer was unlucky that night - I mean the girls in the photo are okay but...

I'll stop digging. This bloody hole is getting deeper!

BraveSuede

Reaction score
Me too, Brave, sort of... although to my old memory it seems that girls were a lot prettier in those days... maybe the photographer was unlucky that night - I mean the girls in the photo are okay but...

I'll stop digging. This bloody hole is getting deeper!

Or maybe mate you drunk more then lol.No i know what you mean no megan fox types there but i do think the style of hair and clothes is a good guide to what original skin girls wore.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... well, if only I had a couple of pics of some of the girls I knew back then...
happy.gif

BraveSuede

Reaction score

79-80 revival skinheads getting it right. smart and cool and the girl is a cracking rene.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adevlin...hy/2095081833/

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now she's cute, but I'd have to see her suit in more detail.

The guy is stylish, but 60s suits buttoned higher, and I never saw anyone in a cravat.

Good looking couple , As you said Mom the lads jacket, it looks like a 2 button, Where the 60s classic suit would have a three button, with the top button quite high around the lower breast bone. Never saw a cravat, Also i have seen present day skinheads wearing like pasley pattern scarfs never saw that also.

BraveSuede

Reaction score
Now she's cute, but I'd have to see her suit in more detail.

The guy is stylish, but 60s suits buttoned higher, and I never saw anyone in a cravat.

I think skinheads of the 78-81 era were a lot different to the original 67-70.More money being around the image developed into smart skins and punky skins.I never wore boots to go out of a night reason being you wouldnt get in clubs disco's etc.I know a lot of the original skins didnt have a lot of choice of clothes bennie's only being in pastel colours and white and levis the only jeans.The 78 revival there was a lot of labels to choose from bennies fred perrys brutus shirts and polo's all worn. levis lois sta prest (in many colours).dm's royal brogues and penny loafers smooths officer boots.jean jackets sheepskins crombies tonik jackets pow check jackets harringtons.plus cravats(lol) paisley scarfs.tbh i think revival skins took the original look and added their own slant to it.A mod of say 63 would look nothing like a mod of 67.I love the original look and real skins were very inspired by the 67 skins clothes and music.I think we grew up in a very privileged era lots of jobs and good money about.

What did the original skinheads think of the 78 revival skins were they scorned at or did you all wish you were 10 years younger?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think girls today are just as good looking, skinhead girls on the present day scene tend to be older.
One thing in my 60s skinhead girls looked more feminine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads