• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of Black Leather Dress Shoes

econkid89

Reaction score
i can get the meltonian and horsehair brush for like $3 more.. Some people are saying to get kiwi and some are saying meltonian for a budge cleaner

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
This isn't some huge investment. At this point, but whatever is easier to get. Otherwise go with the prettier label...

econkid89

Reaction score
haha Im going to order it right now on amazon. KIWI Kit or Meltonian seperately???

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using a banana peel is a good idea, I'll have to keep that mind next time I'm stranded and need to polish my shoes. I personally polish my shoes with bacon fat, it leaves a nice shine!

econkid89

Reaction score
I ordered the Meltonian.
Quick Question, What exactly does putting on creme polish do? I used to just dampen a cloth and clean any white marks on my leather dress shoes. Does creme polish make the shoe look "newer?"

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Using a banana peel is a good idea, I'll have to keep that mind next time I'm stranded and need to polish my shoes. I personally polish my shoes with bacon fat, it leaves a nice shine!

spam[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by econkid89
I ordered the Meltonian.
Quick Question, What exactly does putting on creme polish do? I used to just dampen a cloth and clean any white marks on my leather dress shoes. Does creme polish make the shoe look "newer?"

Leather is skin. In order to keep it supple and healthy, it needs oils. But unlike your skin, it can't generate those on its own. So you have to put them in. That's the main point of polish.

For ages, leather was kept well fed with simple, rendered fats. The guy using bacon grease isn't far off, though it would be best to filter particulates out of it first. It was processed fat, and those oils keep you shoes healthy, though they don't impart much of a shine. But what's known as dubbin developed fairly soon, a mixture of those fats, oils, and wax. It was made to preserve and protect the leather, and did a good job of that. That was used for ages.

Later on, people started adding various other things to the mixes, which at that point, were almost entirely homemade. Wealthy households would have the servants mix stuff up once a year, a big messy process, since they had to make enough for a year. For people who couldn't afford all that trouble (but could still afford shoes) there were shoe shine boys, who would make their own polish and sell their services for an affordable rate.

The stuff they added included dyes and cleaners (such as naptha), which were added to give the shoe a nice shine and to protect the shoe from the elements somewhat. That basic formulation is still what governs shoe polish. Different brands use slightly different takes on the idea, and the ratios differ. Concurrently, people were beginning to sell premade polish and dubbin in tins. No more trying out a bunch of different recipes at home and suffering through the results, or trying to find the best shine in town, you could now buy nice, reliable products. Kiwi was the first to really catch on with a product. They started in 1904 and it caught on in 1906. From there, army use and affordable shoes helped the product take off.

So there's the history and why we use the stuff. It keeps your shoes healthy and shiny.

The big distinction in polish is wax versus cream. Both contain both waxes and creams to feed the leather. The divide is in which is more prominent. The flat tins are wax, and the deeper tubs are cream. Either will protect and maintain your shoes fairly well.

But in order for leather to be healthy, it needs to be maintained. Rinsing off a salt stain is a good idea, but you'll need a good conditioning and polish to keep the leather healthy and protected.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A general question about creme while we're on the subject:

When I tried using a creme product on my shoes, I've found that it is leaves a coat on the shoe and changes the color? It is almost like a thin layer or coating. Is this normal? For this reason, I've gone back to only using wax polishes.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often should one use conditoner and cream?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads