• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Trying to shed 25-30 pounds by June 2nd

oisin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Pio why not spirits (straight) such as whisky, rums, tequilas ect when your suggesting dry wine (which other than having somewhat of a health benefit is still a form of alcohol)??

Say > 4-5 of the standard drink equivalents of either straight spirit or dry wine. If both drinking the same amounts of EtOH in say an evening and the spirits have less calories than equivalent wine I don't see where to go wrong?

I'd imagine ideally when dieting having avoiding excess of alcohol would be an idea, especially if you're drinking heavily before multiple nights a week.

yeah, i've had people tell me that spirits are the way to go because there are even less carbs/sugar in them. but still, my feeling is, try not to binge drink or drink a ton and, and then drink what you want. alcohol is calories no matter what.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oisin
yeah, i've had people tell me that spirits are the way to go because there are even less carbs/sugar in them. but still, my feeling is, try not to binge drink or drink a ton and, and then drink what you want. alcohol is calories no matter what.
Exactly, and in high doses tend promote visceral fat deposit over time, which really sucks. Still I tend to balance so...
cheers.gif

scourage

Reaction score
Buy a box of oranges and a bag of carrots. When you want to snack, but don't really need to eat those. It's easy to say to eat less, but sometimes hard to do, I find this at least helps me avoid eating junk while still letting me nibble on something whenever i want

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no secret to losing weight man. What you posted for the food you ate sounds ok v=but it all comes down to portion size. My friend who I train with weighs around 225 and complains how he couldn't lose weight saying he was eating healthy. So one night I went to his place for dinner and was shocked at how much he ate.

Yea what he ate was healthy but he ate the amount of food in 1 meal that I eat in almost a day and I weigh 175. It might be easier to see the amount of food your lighter friends eat and start eating the same size portions.

Some tips to cut down food cravings is to drink lots of water. I drink over a gallon a day and it helps a ton with hunger. I also drink 8 ounces of water before a meal and sip another 8 ounces during the meal. Also never eat until you are full.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scourage
Buy a box of oranges and a bag of carrots. When you want to snack, but don't really need to eat those. It's easy to say to eat less, but sometimes hard to do, I find this at least helps me avoid eating junk while still letting me nibble on something whenever i want

this may work for some but for me i eat whatever i want. but i usually eat pretty healthy anyways. i just cut out bunch of junk food like fries and sodas mainly. but i eat good food and a lot of it. i dont think i went on any diet since may last year (except for a few times i did some periodical fasting) but i primarily focus on exercise. that is how i melted away my pounds.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
1. alcohol
2. alcohol
3. alcohol
4. alcohol
5. alcohol

You didn't mention how much you drink, but obviously an average to greater than average amount. It's not just the calories in alcohol, it's the food cravings during and after drinking... up to 2 days later. Alcohol leads to poor diet choices and overconsumption.

I'm 6'2" and hovered around 240 for years, cut way back on the booze and I'm around 205 now. Running is also good, even if you get tired after half a mile. Just keep increasing the distance in small increments. Spin class helps too (less wear and tear than running).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the food diary.... Not bad at all. To stay out of starvation mode, breakfast should have a decent amount of protein and carbs, if your stomach is ready for it. Total number of grams of protein shouldn't be much less than desired body weight (lbs).

There also needs to be exercise, quality sleep, and an absence of conditions like hypothyroidism. It's good to have a medical check-up right before a major diet.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Looking at the food diary.... Not bad at all. To stay out of starvation mode, breakfast should have a decent amount of protein and carbs, if your stomach is ready for it. Total number of grams of protein shouldn't be much less than desired body weight (lbs).

There also needs to be exercise, quality sleep, and an absence of conditions like hypothyroidism. It's good to have a medical check-up right before a major diet.

So I should be targeting between 175-200 grams of protein per day? That seems like an insane amount of protein to me. Only one time have I even come CLOSE to that amount of protein and that was Super Bowl Sunday (proud of myself that I was still 70 calories under my daily allowance).

13 days in and I have shed approximately 7 pounds (Down to about 218 as of this morning). I'm worried that this might be too strong of a pace, but I am eating frequently (3 medium sized meals a day and 2-3 snacks) and haven't felt starved at all the whole time. My exercise has gone from non-existent to 3-4 vigorous workouts per week and 2-3 days of light-lifting/calisthenics/circuit-training, so I am chalking it up to that being the difference.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fpr4
So I should be targeting between 175-200 grams of protein per day? That seems like an insane amount of protein to me.

As I mentioned earlier, if you want to hang on to that lbm, eat teh proteinz. VERY important while dieting if you're interested in losing fat, not just weight.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Depends entirely on your diets macronutrient ratio. I'd advocate dropping out sugars and processed carbs (white flour, etc.), but that's just me and I'm partial to recommending that route b/c that's always worked for me. The most important thing is to get an adequate amount of protein while dieting, the rest is usually up to experimentation.

In the end what you want to focus on is the simple cals in < cals out. Maintain that deficit and results will follow.

These are reasonable.

Reduction of alchohol is a good idea, if only to reduce what is often the concomittent bingeing.

Finally, and this will be an unpopular suggestion, increase the % of fat in your diet.

jacson

Reaction score
There's an important life lesson you're supposed to be conveying to her here. Sometimes in life, the shapes don't fit into the bins. Sometimes, just when you think you have all the shapes lined up to put into the bins, BAM! The guy you just wanted to be friends with is running at you with his pants down.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Finally, and this will be an unpopular suggestion, increase the % of fat in your diet.

There's a damn good reason why it is unpopular
wink.gif

Honestly though, on the issue of % fat consumption, I believe it's more genetics than a generalized dietary issue. Some people can metabolize fat better, just like some people can metabolize alcohol better (aka, the iron liver; above average concentration of ethanol dehydrogenase). Really though, its not for everyone, and can do serious harm depending on the type of fat, your general state of health, and the %increase you intake. Typically, look at your family history: if they were all skinny eating high fat/protein diets, then chances are, you might too. If they are more of a fish and rice diet, then don't expect bacon and fried eggs to help you shed weight.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacson
There's an important life lesson you're supposed to be conveying to her here. Sometimes in life, the shapes don't fit into the bins. Sometimes, just when you think you have all the shapes lined up to put into the bins, BAM! The guy you just wanted to be friends with is running at you with his pants down.

And I thought I was the only one drunk posting...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
There's a damn good reason why it is unpopular
wink.gif

Honestly though, on the issue of % fat consumption, I believe it's more genetics than a generalized dietary issue. Some people can metabolize fat better, just like some people can metabolize alcohol better (aka, the iron liver; above average concentration of ethanol dehydrogenase). Really though, its not for everyone, and can do serious harm depending on the type of fat, your general state of health, and the %increase you intake. Typically, look at your family history: if they were all skinny eating high fat/protein diets, then chances are, you might too. If they are more of a fish and rice diet, then don't expect bacon and fried eggs to help you shed weight.

I think you are on to something here with the genetic variation in response to diet. It would go a long way to explaining the blizzard of contradictory anecdotal evidence offered up on the topic all the time.

For me, more animal fat and less sugar is an effective combination. YMMV.

fpr4

Reaction score
down to 212 as of this morning...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads