• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k1d.
Hey everyone. I kind of don't know the rule of thumb on ties and what not.. Can anyone give me suggestions on what tie to wear with this shirt?
images%5Feiec%5F35%5F35847%5F35847%5FWO6396%5Ftif%5F8e460b6f2b3d1890.jpg
For pants I'll be wearing W+H Khakis and shoes will be Alden Indy 403. Event - Optometry Convention. i also been eyeing wool socks for the longest time ever.. i was looking at kent wangs socks.. not too entirely sure whats a good brand.. can you guys also suggest some socks that will go well with the outfit? i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask if a tie clip would be appropriate in this case also.. if yes.. any brand you guys suggest?

Search "knit" for some excellent ideas:

http://www.thetiebar.com/

krspdla

Reaction score
I'm considering getting an MTM suit done online and I need my measurements. Do tailors typically charge customers to get their measurements taken?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrLlama
Would it look weird to wear something like this with the collar up?

http://www.prontostyle.com/product/h...r-p_1802967457

Quit simply, the only time a collar should ever be turned up is if it is on a coat, it is exceptionally windy or cold, and you do not have a scarf.

In short, unless you need it in a pinch due to the weather, don't try it. It will make you look like an ass.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yimmy
And I don't know how to describe how I would like my pants to be but almost a thicker material maybe. I have tried on a couple cheaper suits with very thin "old manish" pants as I call them and they just don't look good. I currently wear just cheap black dress pants from express and they look much better on me. I don't know if its because they are thicker, or have a more stiff look to them. Do I make any sense?
smile.gif

No sense. Are you finding the thinner pants pulling on you? If you've got bigger legs you need to stick to cuts with baggier legs. Your bigger legs will fill them and they'll not look baggy.

Think about jeans. On me Levi 501s have skin tight legs. Anything slimmer I avoid. It's no different for dress pants. I avoid anything cut with skinny legs.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
I'm 18 and don't have much money, but over the past few weeks I've changed my wardrobe quite a bit. Bought a pair of walnut AE Strands (along with shoe trees), Inexpensive Navy Blazer, Few shirts, Few chino's, And a decent watch. Is a grey SC next in my collection? I have a decent pair of black shoes as well to rotate with the AE's..
reIMG_7856blog-682x1024.jpg
blazers-sport-coats.jpg
Originally Posted by k1d.
Hey everyone. I kind of don't know the rule of thumb on ties and what not.. Can anyone give me suggestions on what tie to wear with this shirt?
images%5Feiec%5F35%5F35847%5F35847%5FWO6396%5Ftif%5F8e460b6f2b3d1890.jpg
For pants I'll be wearing W+H Khakis and shoes will be Alden Indy 403. Event - Optometry Convention. i also been eyeing wool socks for the longest time ever.. i was looking at kent wangs socks.. not too entirely sure whats a good brand.. can you guys also suggest some socks that will go well with the outfit? i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask if a tie clip would be appropriate in this case also.. if yes.. any brand you guys suggest?

I personally wouldn't wear a tie with a BD, however there are those that does it well in the WAYWRN thread. I haven't purchased socks from Kent Wang but have seen positive feedback on various threads on them. Could consider http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=143081

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment if they've been hit with US import duty for DHL shipments?

Scotty

Reaction score
So, here's my first question in this forum (and second post):
My father in law gave me this houndstooth jacket (from the early 90's I think). It had a lot of shoulder padding that protuded from my shoulders and a fake buttonhole in the lapel.
My mother in law, a great non professional seamstress that makes all the tailoring for the family, removed the padding, undid the buttonhole (it looked awful) and she's now arranging the shoulders (they're just basted? in the picture).
She aranging the sleeve length, also (you can see one sleeve longer as I found one of my shoulders is a little higher than the other).
The jacket has no vents and she clearly stated that there's no fabric enough to make it and that it won't look good either way, so that's out of question.
The jacket fits me pretty well, better that the pictures show.
My only remanining doubt are the lapels, what do you think? Too wide? Can be solved?
I have not many jackets and none with two buttons so I'm not sure.
Any other thoughts about it?
Thanks.

houndstooth1.jpg

houndstooth2.jpg

k1d.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika

I personally wouldn't wear a tie with a BD, however there are those that does it well in the WAYWRN thread.

I haven't purchased socks from Kent Wang but have seen positive feedback on various threads on them. Could consider http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=143081

Cool. Kent Wang suggested that that shirt is a bit too casual and I should go with perhaps a solid white or blue. Do you have any intake on this?

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello everybody,i've never shopped in Ebay but reading this forum and looking through a few links i've found this http://cgi.ebay.com/4950-Rare-BRIONI...item1c1910b50e I think it's pretty good.What do you think about it and what's the most important do you have any experience with this guy,is he reliable,is the blazer authentic?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
I'm 18 and don't have much money, but over the past few weeks I've changed my wardrobe quite a bit.
Bought a pair of walnut AE Strands (along with shoe trees),
Inexpensive Navy Blazer,
Few shirts,
Few chino's,
And a decent watch.

Is a grey SC next in my collection? I have a decent pair of black shoes as well to rotate with the AE's..

Others have made good points about whether a sport coat is the best next addition to your wardrobe. To the extent that your question concerns the best color for a second sport coat, I would say that brown should be considered at least as favorably as gray.

jhe0417

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Tricker's from the recent Sierra Trading Post sale in a size 9UK. Unfortunately, they're a bit too large for my size 9.5US feet.

Would putting an insole in the shoe help fix this issue? If so, could anyone recommend me a nice brand of insoles that would work for these Tricker's?

Thanks for your help, MC!
smile.gif

undertow

Reaction score
I literally just joined up so I'm not sure if there's a identify piece thread but I offer a pre-emptive apology if so. What brand, and particular model, is this shirt?
Cristiano-Ronaldo-61.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads