• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've never seen this on a shirt before...

swoobie

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what it is?

A tab, sewn into the placket of this Lorenzini shirt. It's roughly 5 inches long and has two button holes... Based on the pic http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/LORENZ...X/sts/sr_men80 I thought it was removable, but it's stitched on with two rows of thread.

My first thought is that it is supposed to go on a trouser button to help keep the shirt tucked in, but that seems a bit ludicrous and the button is too small for a normal trouser button...

Anyone?

BBC

Reaction score
Looks like it's for your tie with the fabric looping through the tie keeper and then being buttoned.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird feature. The tails on that shirt are the longest I have ever seen.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to put your belt through it when you wear the shirt untucked.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You button it into the waistband of your trousers, to prevent the shirt front from rising up and billowing out.
(The flap goes down, picture shows it in the 'resting position'.)

Used to be a common feature on day shirts (all the Duke of Windsor's shirts had it), you still find it on evening shirts.

swoobie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
You button it into the waistband of your trousers, to prevent the shirt front from rising up and billowing out.
(The flap goes down, picture shows it in the 'resting position'.)

Used to be a common feature on day shirts (all the Duke of Windsor's shirts had it), you still find it on evening shirts.

You know, that's what I first thought, but the button holes are too small to accommodate anything much larger than a shirt button...

Starting to believe that it is a tie holder and it would fold up. This makes a bit of sense as there is a monogrammed "L" that would then be on the outside (showing) and right side up when in use. The spacing also leads me to that conclusion, as the attachment is not long enough to reach my trousers...

In any case, it seems very odd and would prohibit from wearing without a tie. It would have been nice if it were buttoned on both ends and therefore "convertible" as it is, I will likely remove it entirely.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Looks like it's for your tie with the fabric looping through the tie keeper and then being buttoned.

This is correct. I believe there was a thread on this exact topic.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC

looks like a tiefix in matching fabric to me, just bought my first mtm shirt (thanks to you guys) and the shop offered exactly that:

tiefix.png

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
vry odd feature to add to a rtw shirt.
you would have to add a shirt button to the waistband of your pants.
seems to low for a tie keeper
I have done this more often to a formal shirt.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
seems to low for a tie keeper

...if it is anything like the one I posted it comes with two buttonholes, so you just button it in place on two of the shirt's buttons where appropriate. Or not if you go tiebar'ed, tieless or whatever
wink.gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by either/or
looks like a tiefix in matching fabric to me, just bought my first mtm shirt (thanks to you guys) and the shop offered exactly that:
tiefix.png

That's a nice feature. I almost always use a discreet tiebar more for function than fashion, to keep tie out of soup when sat down to eat, but this will do the same job and preserve the pristine aesthetic of a nice tie. I know buttoning space is not standard but I wonder if you can buy or have made such a strip?

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I know buttoning space is not standard but I wonder if you can buy or have made such a strip?

I guess anyone who knows how to make buttonholes could make them, if you provided the distance & button hole size?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
That's a nice feature. I almost always use a discreet tiebar more for function than fashion, to keep tie out of soup when sat down to eat, but this will do the same job and preserve the pristine aesthetic of a nice tie. I know buttoning space is not standard but I wonder if you can buy or have made such a strip?

Give a tailor who owns a button hole machine $10 and 15 minutes...

It wouldn't be hard to make one of those. A little scrap fabric and a sewing machine, and you can do it yourself. Even with no button hole function- a hand stitched buttonhole really isn't that hard once you have the general idea, especially if it's not visible to others.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very helpful as it effectively constrains the wearer to wear a tie also.

Avoid - they'll get the message and maybe the zombie that thought of it as well.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Not very helpful as it effectively constrains the wearer to wear a tie also.

...can't the stitches be undone? like the ones used to keep vents/suit pockets in place on new otr suits?

otherwise I agree with GBR
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads