• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I actually prefer the somewhat more matte finish of unpolished shell so that works for me!

it is ok for weekend shoes or in a more casual setting where you can get away with it but not ideal i find shoes that look like that a little scuffy

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated
wink.gif
way too many options
DSCN1444.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
Can anyone ID all the specs for this shoe? color/last/style? Trying to figure out which two shoes to go with for my first order. I was going to go with an oxblood plain captoe (ulast) and maybe this one? any other suggestions would be appreciated
wink.gif
way too many options

DSCN1444.jpg

those are mine, so they are antique congac calf

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif
way too many options
DSCN1444.jpg

"Berkeley", antique cognac calf, F last.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
wink.gif
way too many options

Originally Posted by luk-cha
those are mine, so they are antique congac calf

Originally Posted by kolecho
"Berkeley", antique cognac calf, F last.

Originally Posted by kolecho
The question is: do you still have them?
laugh.gif

Actually, I believe I am the owner of said shoes. Love 'em too! Thanks again, Kolecho.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
it is ok for weekend shoes or in a more casual setting where you can get away with it but not ideal i find shoes that look like that a little scuffy

There's a time and a place for both styles! :^)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

i find the 3636 very graceful myself.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

this.

btw, how did your balint experience went.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
The ladies in the shop suggested that I shouldn't bother. Which is a shame, because their oxfords are often most attractive.

Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

If I were someone who regularly traveled to Europe, I would certainly do this. I don't, so it will be hard to justify a trip from the left coast to Budapest just to try on shoes. (I don't even want to think what my wife would say.) In the meantime, I have to be in New York next week, so I think I'll see how the JL 8000 last fits in light of comments that its fit is identical to the U last.

Did the ladies at the shop say why the F last wasn't worth trying on? Was it the instep or the width?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads