• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vineyard Vines!

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyfingers
Old money and true wealth could care less about clothes. These guys are wearing old faded levis that are 10 years old with an old polo shirt. You would be hard pressed to find these guys spending 300 for jeans unless that have a major love for fashion or work in the business. They never feel like they have to prove their wealth with expensive clothes. You are more likely to see people at the low-low mid end of the socioeconomic spectrum spending crazy money on clothes
I mostly agree. People at the top of the lower class feel that being perceived as middle class is within their grasp. And people at the bottom of the middle class are constantly fearful they could easily slip down and be perceived as lower class. Thus people in this general group are the most likely to be concerned with the appearance of status. I read a study a few years back confirming this. It showed that this lower (but not poor) income group spends more on clothing (as a percentage of their budget) than any other group. The study compared things like amount spend on clothing vs. other necessities such as food, housing, transportation, etc.
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
would be cool if it were true but its not. rich people tend to spend more on their clothes
You're right, rich people do spend more on clothing. But they spend far less on clothing than do lower income families relative to the other basic necessities. Thus it is likely that lower income people are more concerned about expressing status through their clothing than are the rich. In this sense I'd say they value clothing more-- a far more interesting point of discussion than talking about whom spends the most in absolute dollars.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Also, come on, dude. You know that's not true. Fashion comes from poor people and the military, not well-known designers. By the time you're drooling over it, it's filtered up through the poor kids, through the 'cool hunters', then, when it's a dead thing, aped by every imaginative designer label.
for the past 10 years i would definitely agree. dunno about the rest.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I mostly agree. People at the top of the lower class feel that being perceived as middle class is within their grasp. And people at the bottom of the middle class are constantly fearful they could easily slip down and be perceived as lower class. Thus people in this general group are the most likely to be concerned with the appearance of status. I read a study a few years back confirming this. It showed that this lower (but not poor) income group spends more on clothing (as a percentage of their budget) than any other group. The study compared things like amount spend on clothing vs. other necessities such as food, housing, transportation, etc. You're right, rich people do spend more on clothing. But they spend far less on clothing than do lower income families relative to the other basic necessities. Thus it is likely that lower income people are more concerned about expressing status through their clothing than are the rich. In this sense I'd say they value clothing more-- a far more interesting point of discussion than talking about whom spends the most in absolute dollars.
why tell me you read a study and then not link it? you think i'm too poor for jstor? ebscohost? sciencedirect? real class is being able to read studies and then link to them. gimme dat doi *****.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
for the past 10 years i would definitely agree. dunno about the rest.

I think there is some understating of the influence of the rich, as aristocratic styles have always been aped. That said, peasant revolutionaries came up with the trouser (although noted British dandy Beau Brummell popularized it), jeans were carried around the world by sailors, miners and stevedores transform the top half of the union suit into the t-shirt, and so on.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
gimme dat doi
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still waiting for OP to make his presence felt again, lurking in the shadows

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reginald Bartholomew
...peasant revolutionaries came up with the trouser (although noted British dandy Beau Brummell popularized it), jeans were carried around the world by sailors, miners and stevedores transform the top half of the union suit into the t-shirt, and so on.

Reginald, could you, or anyone, recommend a good history of -type book on the subject? Sort of a hidden why we wear what we wear kind of affair?

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Reginald, could you, or anyone, recommend a good history of -type book on the subject? Sort of a hidden why we wear what we wear kind of affair?

No idea dude. I basically just randomly google things when I feel like being less ignorant.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reginald Bartholomew
I think there is some understating of the influence of the rich, as aristocratic styles have always been aped. That said, peasant revolutionaries came up with the trouser (although noted British dandy Beau Brummell popularized it), jeans were carried around the world by sailors, miners and stevedores transform the top half of the union suit into the t-shirt, and so on.
pants (really, knit ones) might have been invented before peasants existed. they were definitely popular among germanic "barbarian" tribes that attacked rome because romans wrote about them. unless you're talking about the wool type of pants people wear today in which case i know nothing.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In his autobiography The Kid Stays In the Picture, producer Robert Evans reveals how his brother's company, Evan-Picone, convinced a nation of women to start wearing pants. (At first it must have seemed as weird as men wearing dresses...)

Now I don't know about you, but it's just that kind of renegade spirit I see in Vineyard Vines.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
still waiting for OP to make his presence felt again, lurking in the shadows

I have no idea what to say, I'm not following all this drama and fighting. I'm waiting for the rest of Vineyard Vines' new line to come out before I chime back in to get more opinions, but as of now, I'm bored with their winter line.

From the little drama I have read, don't you all fit into the category of lower middle class trying to buy nice things so you appear closer to the upper middle class? Do any of you own atleast 1 home without a mortgage?

This fight here is about old and new money, societal class, and how the rest of the world perceives you. If you are broke but want nice clothes, say it. Dont try to be someone you aren't by posting extravagant things you don't have on forums like this one.

I'm typing from my iPhone so once I get to my computer I'll edit/fix/add to this post.

trafficjam

Reaction score
actually im broke but i want garbage clothes that fit poorly

so ill buy some vineyard vines great thread a+++

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it you find boring about their winter line? I find the execution rather clever.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
What is it you find boring about their winter line? I find the execution rather clever.

I am bored with the line, meaning, its been out for to long and I'm excited to see what they will be releasing for the S/S.

Mr./Ms. Jet, I think Michael Jackson was as confused as you are/were so good job.
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads