• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an unusually arbitrary assortment of examples.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7-1-10.jpg
Not tooting my own horn, but if you say this doesn't work, then you don't know what you're talking about.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find amazing examples of it being done well on this site, I've come across them in WAYWTD and they look excellent. Whenever I do it it looks too plain so I avoid the look. I think if you do it with some fabrics that have a little more texture and substance to them it looks even better, like a flannel wool or a wool cashmere mix.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can be done well, those pics are NOT good examples. These are almost all SF people... Here's how you classy it up a little:

bluesportscoatgreypants.jpg

doublebreastednavyblaze.jpg

fitexcellenteverythingn.jpg

navyblazerbluesweaterpi.jpg

navyblazergreypantsblac.jpg

navyblazergreypantspink.jpg

navyblazerpurplegreytie.jpg

navyblazerwhitebluechec.jpg

navysportscoatbluesweat.jpg

navysportscoatgreypants.jpg

navysportscoatnavygoldr.jpg

navysportscoatwhiteshir.jpg

navywindowpanesportscoa.jpg

fitnavyblazersomethinga.jpg

greenshirtnavyblazercre.jpg

navyblazerblueshirtgrey.jpg

navyblazergreypantsbrow.jpg

navyblazerredginghamshi.jpg

navyblazerredsweatergre.jpg

navyblazerwhiteshirtblu.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I don't know how the heck you were able to pull those up so quickly (and mine them from WAYWRN), but most are very good examples.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I save some pics here and there usually because they've got something good about them. anything from fit, color or texture combo, certain items i also own but need ideas on how to wear, etc... after 4-5 years i've probably got about 1500 pics saved and a simple search like 'navy blazer' pulls up a bunch of pics....

if anyone wants a pic of them taken down just say the word.

PS - I think Gregaz and DocHolliday constantly get spot on fits, but then again it helps to be so slim.

sellahi22

Reaction score
The shirt is key. I don't like a plain shirt with the blazer + grey pants combo. Same with "business" stripes or checks with narrow/fine lines.

At a minimum, I think you need a bengal stripe to avoid the office look. Preferably gingham or a fancy stripe like some of the turnbull & asser stripes.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
if anyone wants a pic of them taken down just say the word.

Don't take mine down"”I like them on top.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome post, Master-Classter! That is for sure a who's who of WAYWRN, and definitive proof that a blue blazer and grey pants is very much SF approved.

Big T

Reaction score
I've got a hang-up on blue blazers and grey pants going back to my days at Catholic school and it was our uniform. Damn blue blazer with a crest.

Girls wore plaid jumpers that were even worse. Also had a crest.

Girls had their uniforms "updated" to a green sack-type skirt with a white blouse. I swear they were changed to make them look like Nuns, with the hope some would join the convent.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Awesome post, Master-Classter! That is for sure a who's who of WAYWRN, and definitive proof that a blue blazer and grey pants is very much SF approved.

Originally Posted by JohnShaft
Master-Classter's examples are the sorts of looks I have in mind when I give this classic a big thumbs up.

+1. Fantastic post.

zerostyle

Reaction score
IMO gray pants look way better than tan/khaki.

The tan/khaki look just comes off as terribly yuppie to me, especially if you are also using gold buttons.

I would say that I prefer medium to dark gray, though - not light gray.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP

I think it's a classic look... can't really go wrong IMO.

I think your very wrong with this statement. There are tons of ways to go wrong with this look. There are ways to pull it off like having a pair of pants that arent super baggy and wearing a blazer that actually fits properly. Unfortunately 90% of the people who wear grey pants with a blue blazer dont have a clue and they ruin it for everyone else. Its the same thing with Polo shirts and khaki colored pants. Yea the look may be associated with a few retail companies terrible uniforms, but if you wear pieces that fit properly and flatter your body then you will pull off either look and make it look cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads