• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soporific scarf Appreciation

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I. Soporific tie Appreciation
II. Soporific scarf Appreciation
III. Soporific ? Appreciation

As discussed.

unYvB.jpg

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fFYh8.jpg
Textielmuseum one looks nice. You sure are a fan of navy, NOBD.
tounge.gif
What is the consensus on fringe? I think that short fringe is more soporific and, therefore, superior.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
http://i.imgur.com/fFYh8.jpg

Textielmuseum one looks nice.
You sure are a fan of navy, NOBD.
tounge.gif

I love all blues...

What is the consensus on fringe? I think that short fringe is more soporific and, therefore, superior.

Yes, short. I gave one with large fringe a haircut once.

This one doesn't qualify, right:

francobassilinenwoolsil.jpg

(Love browns too.)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unYvB.jpg

[/center]

I've been thinking about a light gray one. This one looks great; what is it?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I love all blues...

+1

Yes, short. I gave one with large fringe a haircut once.
Sometimes it gives an insouciant quality. If the scarf is quite short and tied at the neck, a longer fringe can give an interesting rooster effect
blush.gif

This one doesn't qualify, right:

francobassilinenwoolsil.jpg
That goes in the cow-print scarf thread, s'il vous plaÃ
00ae.png
t.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I've been thinking about a light gray one. This one looks great; what is it?

Corneliani. It's a bit towards off-white/ivory, but the cross-weave gives it a heathered gray cast.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it gives an insouciant quality. If the scarf is quite short and tied at the neck, a longer fringe can give an interesting rooster effect
blush.gif

I read and weep learn. Learn.

That goes in the cow-print scarf thread, s'il vous plaÃ
00ae.png
t.

But, but... It's the Pitti scarf!

Corneliani. It's a bit towards off-white/ivory, but the cross-weave gives it a heathered gray cast.

I understand. Great. Didn't know they made scarves.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has a kind of organic appearance, actually. I wouldn't go so far as to say feminine, but there is a sort of "at-home" feeling to it, if that makes any sense. I could see it being a blanket. It's not sharp and aggressive as far as scarves go, but still nice. It's been growing on me since I got it (still haven't broken it in, it's just sitting there...). And it is buttery soft
inlove.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has a kind of organic appearance, actually. I wouldn't go so far as to say feminine, but there is a sort of "at-home" feeling to it, if that makes any sense. I could see it being a blanket. It's not sharp and aggressive as far as scarves go, but still nice. It's been growing on me since I got it (still haven't broken it in, it's just sitting there...). And it is buttery soft
inlove.gif

I haven't liked light scarves for years (or just didn't try them), but lately I've noticed myself picking a light scarf quite often, because I like the contrast with my (mostly) dark jackets and coats, and it looks 'fresh', iykwim. And since I like grays as well (my colour trio is complete...), the one you showed would really fit the bill (hope I get that expression right).

I'm not sure if it's soporific enough, but this is the light one I mean:

metvisgraatoverjas.jpg
metvisgraatjasje.jpg

kasjmier.jpg

(Bought it online. I might not have bought it if I'd seen the yellow in it on the website, but I decided to keep it anyway.)

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day not that long ago I looked in my closet and noticed it skewed overwhelmingly towards darker and more muted colors, navy, etc. Excepting shirts of course. I've been trying to systematically aim for lighter colored accessories. A light scarf can rescue a dark ensemble, as you note. Light blue is good. I think we might have the same mentality. That is, opting for ivory/light gray as an antidote to darker colors, but you have to remember that these are, strictly speaking, non-colors. It's just going from light to dark on the gradient scale, but ivory/gray still have none of the warmth of pastels. FWIW. I think the yellow and blue help that number. Your use of fitting the bill is correct!
fistbump.gif
Enjoying some tea and a cookie over here. Btw, how come all those scarves have hang tags on them?
uhoh.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day not that long ago I looked in my closet and noticed it skewed overwhelmingly towards darker and more muted colors, navy, etc. Excepting shirts of course. I've been trying to systematically aim for lighter colored accessories. A light scarf can rescue a dark ensemble, as you note.

Light blue is good. I think we might have the same mentality. That is, opting for ivory/light gray as an antidote to darker colors, but you have to remember that these are, strictly speaking, non-colors. It's just going from light to dark on the gradient scale, but ivory/gray still have none of the warmth of pastels. FWIW. I think the yellow and blue help that number.

Something to think about. Thanks.

Btw, how come all those scarves have hang tags on them?
uhoh.gif

So everyone can see what I'm wearing, of course.

(No, these are old pics, taken right after I bought the scarves.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads