• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the market for suits, where to go?

bubblegum

Reaction score
I am in the market for a few suits for work. Checked out BB outlet and Hugo Boss factory stores, the selection seems underwhelming at these locations.

I am a young man (around 30), slim build (155 lb), which store makes good slim cut suits? I am kind of familiar with BB and Boss, which is better?

My budget is $1k, but prefer to spend only around $500-700 if possible. Any suggestions? (store must be in NYC)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a few suits and your budget is $1K, I would suggest limit yourself to a mid/dark grey and a navy suit. That leaves you with $500 per suit.

You are not likely to get top of the line suits paying only $500 per suit, not from department stores at least. I would, if I were you, visit some department stores, try on some suits from a variety of brands, and limit yourself to 3/4 brands you liked (fit-wise and quality wise). Keep a mental note on the brands / lines and go online and score some deals if possible. Remember, tailoring an off the rack suit is always on option if the fit is less than perfect.

Hugo Boss falls in budget but research other options before committing. Brooks Brothers, unless you go 2nd hand route from thrift store or eBay, I do not fancy your chances of getting their better suits (i.e. 1818, Black or Golden Fleece) for under $800 - $1K per suit. The other BB lines are cheaper, usually sold as suit separates, but even then you are still chucking at least $400 per suit at an outlet. The quality of these BB suits are not really any better than Boss - Boss in this case may be a more economical option.

I would if I were you research other brands for now - if you have time, do the research. It pays off. If you need the suits urgently, then spend less rather than more. Even 2 JosABank suits bought cheaply could carry you through until you invest in better suits later on.

Search through the forum for generally well recommended brands, look out for them in department stores and outlets, try them on see if you like. Go outlet route or purchase online from merchants selling for well under MRSP.

bubblegum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
If you want a few suits and your budget is $1K, I would suggest limit yourself to a mid/dark grey and a navy suit. That leaves you with $500 per suit.

My budget is 1k per suit. I am really just looking to buy one for now. I will buy more in the near future. Are BB suits that much better than Boss?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubblegum
My budget is 1k per suit. I am really just looking to buy one for now. I will buy more in the near future. Are BB suits that much better than Boss?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as always, but in terms of construction there is little doubt that BB are better (at least their 1818 and GF line). Hugo are fine if you want a cheap suit for cheap price (not full retail).

If you have $1K for a suit, shop around, the world is your oyster (within constraints lol).

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be from a brick & mortar store?

At $500, go buy a Benjamin from ehaberdasher. Gets good reviews.

At $1k, buy either a Hart Shaffer Marx MTM or a Hickey Freeman (MTM is better, but more expensive, you can find OTR for about $1k but you'll have to get the SA to give you a discount or wait for a sale, probably not going to be able to do this quickly)

Other than that, I don't live in NYC.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the BB Milano line, which should fit you fairly well. I don't think they have those at the outlet, though. The Barney's Warehouse Sale also starts in a couple weeks in NYC.

level32

Reaction score
Do you find standard sizes with a little tailoring or are you <36?

bubblegum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
Do you find standard sizes with a little tailoring or are you <36?

I think my size is more like 39S to 40S. 39S probably better, but many places don't carry that size.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim suits at a great value?
Try Boglioli and Caruso...some of them would come with drop 8 or 9. They range anywhere between $300-750. Best value there is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads