• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
no let it continue. because its a textbook example of "yankee fan logic"

I NO RITE.

Its like, Bartolo Colon is a leading contender for a rotation slot. Hell, we're going to be better than we were last year!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a Yankees fan. The team is going to be treading water at the top for a long time unless they get Felix and a few more young players. Old age is a real problem on this team.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm a Yankees fan.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we've come to the root of your problems.
stirpot.gif

guster

Reaction score
I think he makes a good analysis. And I hate the Yankees. Look at it another way. Last year they finished in the top 4 in baseball and by many accounts were upset by Texas. You could argue that they underachieved last year. Sure the lost Petite but they also gained one of baseballs best closers last year as a set up man. And got stronger at catcher. The farm system has a lot of talent. And you know they will pick someone else big up along the way. The arguements that the Yankees will fall way off are not based in logic.

no let it continue. because its a textbook example of "yankee fan logic"

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You a Braves fan Ed?

Royals.

Originally Posted by guster
I think he makes a good analysis. And I hate the Yankees. Look at it another way. Last year they finished in the top 4 in baseball and by many accounts were upset by Texas. You could argue that they underachieved last year. Sure the lost Petite but they also gained one of baseballs best closers last year as a set up man. And got stronger at catcher. The farm system has a lot of talent. And you know they will pick someone else big up along the way. The arguements that the Yankees will fall way off are not based in logic.

No one is saying they will fall off just that they have HUGE problems with pitching, they are an old ass team and the AL East overall is much better than it was last year.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the analysis involving "all we need is a 5inn to win games because of the stacked bullpen" is suspect.

you need good starters who eat up innings or else no how good your bullpen is it gets overworked and eventually all hell brakes loose - this was the demise of Joe Torre.

its all good. its nice to have a lot of fans from different teams in this thread. hopefully this will be an interesting season that will bring more fans to this thread.

CTstudent

Reaction score
the analysis involving "all we need is a 5inn to win games because of the stacked bullpen" is suspect.

What I meant is that their 4th/5th starters don't need to go 8 innings for the Yankees to win a game. Its a good bet that at least one of the guys they have competing for a pitching job will end up doing pretty well. Their starting pitching isn't horrendous (although obviously not the best in the league), just not up to the Yankees usual standards (big names).

Either way, its better for their starters to be a little weak this year, while developing their very strong farm system pitching, than to trade away the farm system for a decent established pitcher (not an ace). No way they get Felix through trades, Seattle has a poor history of dealing with the Yankees (see Cliff Lee).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Michael Young wants a trade, Rangers have no desire to comply with his requests.

Looks like its going to be a great season in Texas...

guster

Reaction score
LawrenceMD;4097480 said:

Very true - though I think he did qualify that by saying "many or some games. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think their pitching will be slightly better than we think and you know they are going to get someone big.

guster

Reaction score
The againg lineup is a problem though. Good farm system but I don;t think it is enough to keep this team as a contender a few years down the road. As well, I don't think ownership will have the patience for Cashman not to win now. So for those 2 reasons, I do think you will see them trade away some prospects for another pitcher this year. CAshman has fought hard for that farm system but when looking at keeping his job or not, I bet you see a few young arms go this summer.

Originally Posted by CTstudent
What I meant is that their 4th/5th starters don't need to go 8 innings for the Yankees to win a game. Its a good bet that at least one of the guys they have competing for a pitching job will end up doing pretty well. Their starting pitching isn't horrendous (although obviously not the best in the league), just not up to the Yankees usual standards (big names).

Either way, its better for their starters to be a little weak this year, while developing their very strong farm system pitching, than to trade away the farm system for a decent established pitcher (not an ace). No way they get Felix through trades, Seattle has a poor history of dealing with the Yankees (see Cliff Lee).

guster

Reaction score
Where does he go? Maybe if the Rabgers fall apart this year but he makes a lot of money for a DH and his defense keeps getting worse. Still a good hitter but becoming a liabilty, even at 3rd.

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Michael Young wants a trade, Rangers have no desire to comply with his requests.

Looks like its going to be a great season in Texas...

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does he go? Maybe if the Rabgers fall apart this year but he makes a lot of money for a DH and his defense keeps getting worse. Still a good hitter but becoming a liabilty, even at 3rd.

Yeah, he's another guy closing in on 3000 hits. Wait, what's the common definition of "closing in on" I usually think a guy who is still very servicable sitting at 2300 to 2500 is closing in.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a more dangerous (to a pitcher's health) manager/pitcher combo than Dusty Baker and a guy who throws 105 mph? Seriously, Chapman's arm might literally explode. Literally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads