• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jon Green Sportcoat

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
I don't know how he does it, but he has certainly led me to shed many of the trendy things I have seen.

He has also certainly met my goals as a bespoke customer - relaxed look, timeless colors and proportions, and unobtrusive presentation.

His products are as sublime [or underwhelming if you prefer] as those JLP bespoke shoes.

Often, during our fittings, he or his tailor would say, "Now, that looks more like your jacket." I agree!

- M

Sounds like you're happy with his work, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the jacket looks long.
otherwise looks fine

Was about to say the same thing. Looks great all around although my preference would be for it to be around 3/4 inch shorter in length.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
long

A wise mang once gave me some advice about this, and I am still holding onto his advice
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mmkn
timeless colors and proportions

Color: I was already a color freak by the time I met Jon.

Proportion: If one looked at the history of men's clothes proportions, I would venture that Jon's sense of proportions is in that [i.m.h.o.] greatest period of men's clothes - the thirties.

69773010.jpg

44449707.jpg

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
happy

Yes! As anyone who has explored bespoke knows, pefection is not achievable, but "happy enough" is.

Once the article is "done," Jon has advised me to wear it with abandonment, and have fun! Great advice.

Ultimately "happy" is happy with the process more than the end goal, and that I am.

- M

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.
Harsh, too much peppercorn in the Bearnaise, maybe?
wink.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
wink.gif

I was told that I needed to identify myself properly so as to avoid any suspicions of bias. This seemed to others the best identification possible. Anyway, the jacket is odd looking, as is most of what Green makes. It looks like a bunch of parts mashed together with no concern for the whole, or for any sense of harmony. Do not like.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no! it is long. sleeves are also too long
the old length test was if you could cup the bottom of your jacket with your fingers.

I am not looking for a trendy shorter jacket.
will this make you look taller? i think the theory works for a suit but not a sport coat.

did he mark the gorge line. it all seems very high. I guess it is easier to lower the gorge line. since raising is impossible without new fronts

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wink.gif

It always amazes me how certain garments are highly scrutinized to the point of absurdity while others, which are obvious train wrecks, are barely mentioned or noticed.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Just watched the video. How full of hot air is Green? Jesus. I couldn't take it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Just watched the video. How full of hot air is Green? Jesus. I couldn't take it.

While I remain unimpressed by his work, I didn't find anything objectionable with the video. Its a promotional thing, so one would expect some hyperbole.

Btw, the guy he's fitting is the North American head of LVMH. Shouldn't he be buying his stash from one of the designers in the LVMH stable?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Agree with iammatt and ET here - if this were presented as a Rubinacci or a Raphael or an A&S, people would have savaged it. Not a nice coat, and certainly not worth the $ charged by Green. Interesting video here on Green: http://offthecuffdc.com/top-needle-b...ilor-jon-green
Is this website+video real? I've seen parodies that are less obviously ridiculous. "I have a jet, a jet I tell you, I can haz luxury!!!" I love that he utters the empty "it's not fashion, it's style!", like there is a difference...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
It always amazes me how certain garments are highly scrutinized to the point of absurdity while others, which are obvious train wrecks, are barely mentioned or noticed.
Aye, there's more than a grain of truth in that, I have to admit. This may have more to do with who the poster is, rather than his tailoring. Boys will be boys, sad I know, I myself am not immune. There is also, an unfortunate tendency, to fuss over minutiae, which can be contagious.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
long

Mr. G.,

I appreciate your comments.

This is the first wearing after the jacket has been "finished."

Of course, it's not "done."

Part of the bespoke service is an examination of the jacket after wearing it a while - another "fitting," if you will. This is the essence of bespoke to me, specifying and fittings.

Only fools would conclude anything about a garment based on photos.

I am simply enjoying them.

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
truth . . . contagious.

Wise you are.

It is only clothes, just a ******* hobby, if you will.
laugh.gif

We are not saving lives here [which I do on a regular basis].

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads