• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Averaged faces of women

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
greek, peruvian, israeli, spanish are my favorites.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there some kind of software that can do this with boobs?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love how "Latvian" "Greek" and others get their own category but "West African" and "Central Africans" don't. OK dude.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I love how "Latvian" "Greek" and others get their own category but "West African" and "Central Africans" don't. OK dude.
Might have something to do with sample size, or how distinct the groups are. Or the lack of distinct and meaningful boundaries in africa. Could be any of a multitude of reasons, assuming racism or whatever and judging the piece based on that assumption just makes you look like an asshole. Also, the French win at producing attractive females. As, apparently, so do the Peruvians, Israelis, Russians, Swiss....

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew being fluent in French would help me out someday...
teacha.gif

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welsh, english, german and polish are all the same woman ..

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
did you guys read how it's done? It is done with algorithms that warp the images before they're overlapped. You can upload your own images and see the process if you think it is BS.

The averaging process probably isn't BS, but what I'm concerned about is the sample size of women, and the resulting implication that this is the face of each one of those countries. While I do agree that there are features in those faces that I do associate with each of those areas, differentiating it as specifically as Welsh and English is a bit excessive- did they find girls whose families could be traced to indigenous Welsh or Anglo-Saxon all the way back to the reign of Edward Longshanks?

What about fatties? An analysis of facial features should probably exclude non-permanent characteristics like face fat, yet some of those faces look totally chubbs.

ratratan

Reaction score
the spaniard is beautiful. i guess i like them more ethnic/ exotic. israeli also caught my eye.

Smersh

Reaction score
Some of them (for example German, Iranian and Italian) have so short faces compared to the others, they look downright squeezed. Is there really such a notable difference (I cannot say I noticed this in Italy or Germany), or is this some weirdness introduced by the algorithm?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smersh
Some of them (for example German, Iranian and Italian) have so short faces compared to the others, they look downright squeezed. Is there really such a notable difference (I cannot say I noticed this in Italy or Germany), or is this some weirdness introduced by the algorithm?

I've certainly noticed it on real life German women before. Can't speak for the other two groups. It could also be an artifact from fatter faces or something along those lines.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Image source? I'm curious.

This is my livelihood, in a way...

Based on the posting of this on reddit, it originally came from the Dienekes' Anthropology Blog, but I can't find it there. Here is an interesting link that lets you average faces and see what they look like.

http://www.faceresearch.org/demos/average

This might be where the images originally came from. It includes average male and female faces, with links on the left hand side, but there is no discussion of the methodology used to do it.

https://pmsol3.wordpress.com/

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
This might be where the images originally came from. It includes average male and female faces, with links on the left hand side, but there is no discussion of the methodology used to do it.

from the comments section:

I used this site: http://www.faceresearch.org/demos/average

I used no one I thought was under 20 and no one I thought was over 50. I used any internet source I could to get about 15-20 pictures each composite. The hardest thing is finding that many pictures of good frontal shots. Most people take pictures at an angle.

It is also not always easy to find pictures of every nationality. At times I would use Google Image and type in the 10 most common last names for a nationality. For Latin America, where names are shared, I would use the most common last names for that country and put the country name in the search. I would try to verify that the person is at least in that country or from it (not easy). That was especially tricky with the UK (English, Welsh, etc) and Irish.

Strangely for some nationalities it was easier to find men than women or vice versa. For example, very easy to find pictures of Italian men, but not women. It is very easy to find pictures of French women, but not men, etc.

Anyway, for every composite I think I viewed at least a couple of thousand photos.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Central African is nice, so is the Italian. All the nordic white chicks do it for me as does the French broad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads