• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
Unlike many standardized tests these days, the GMAT still corresponds to an intelligence test. Mensa accepts it for admissions. So theoretically, your ceiling should be capped, even with significant studying.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
What did you get? Maybe that will explain why you don't understand.

What a cop out. You asked how one standardized test could be harder than another. That's like asking how one rock can be heavier than another. Stupid question, plan and simple.

Go back to beating off in front of your GMAT and LSAT scores, my man.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
What a cop out. You asked how one standardized test could be harder than another. That's like asking how one rock can be heavier than another. Stupid question, plan and simple.

spoken like a 70%er

newinny

Reaction score
it's always the MBA thread that ends with two idiots making masturbation sounds at each other...

go b-school!

Studiofan

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in HS right now, and want to peruse a career in IBanking. I got a 2200 on the SATs and a 3.9 GPA, but I also have volunteer experience and an internship at one of the top hedge funds in PA. I dont know if I can use this in my application but over the last 3 years I have had ann annualized 29% rate of return on the capital I manage. Would you guys have advice as to what college I should go to for undergrad and what MBA program I should peruse after. I am currently leaning towards CMU Tepper as it is local and my dad went there but would love some more advice.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington

Please explain why you think the LSAT is "way harder" you jealous prick. Your performance on these tests is benchmarked against that of your peers, so it is essentially your fellow test takers making the test harder or easier, not the test itself.

No one gives a rat's ass what percentage of the questions you get right. In the end, all anyone cares about is how you performed relative to your peers.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studiofan
Hey guys I am in HS right now, and want to peruse a career in IBanking. I got a 2200 on the SATs and a 3.9 GPA, but I also have volunteer experience and an internship at one of the top hedge funds in PA. I dont know if I can use this in my application but over the last 3 years I have had ann annualized 29% rate of return on the capital I manage. Would you guys have advice as to what college I should go to for undergrad and what MBA program I should peruse after. I am currently leaning towards CMU Tepper as it is local and my dad went there but would love some more advice.

I can not underestimate the importance of going to a top school for a career in Ibanking. Yes, people have succeeded in Ibanking coming from a decent state school, but it is more the exception nowadays rather than the norm.

1st tier for IBanking et al is Harvard, Wharton and Princeton. Following that are all the other usual suspects among top schools like MIT, Dartmouth, Stanford, Yale, et al.

If this career is what you want to pursue, you should without a doubt at least try for this level of school.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studiofan

Pursue.

For undergrad, go top 10 US News.

For and MBA, CMU Tepper is good, but why wouldn't you look at better schools, assuming you get good IB experience after undergrad? The difference between Tepper and MIT is somewhat meaningful.

Finally, try to do something interesting that has nothing to do with finance. The problem a lot of IBs have trying to get into MBA programs is they don't have any ECs cuz they are so busy. Also, you sound like kind of a stiff from your post.

Studiofan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
I can not underestimate the importance of going to a top school for a career in Ibanking. Yes, people have succeeded in Ibanking coming from a decent state school, but it is more the exception nowadays rather than the norm.

1st tier for IBanking et al is Harvard, Wharton and Princeton. Following that are all the other usual suspects among top schools like MIT, Dartmouth, Stanford, Yale, et al.

If this career is what you want to pursue, you should without a doubt at least try for this level of school.

Thanks for the help, how much importance is paid to undergrad education when firms look for recruits? What do top MBA schools look for?

Studiofan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Pursue.

For undergrad, go top 10 US News.

For and MBA, CMU Tepper is good, but why wouldn't you look at better schools, assuming you get good IB experience after undergrad? The difference between Tepper and MIT is somewhat meaningful.

Finally, try to do something interesting that has nothing to do with finance. The problem a lot of IBs have trying to get into MBA programs is they don't have any ECs cuz they are so busy. Also, you sound like kind of a stiff from your post.

Thanks for the help, As far as ECs I am planning to play Varsity Golf in college.

level32

Reaction score
Studiofan,

I went to CMU. If you want to do IB, I would suggest you not go to CMU. It's just not a target school for BB banks. Sure there are some that get in, but if you can, go to a target school like kungapa's list. You would improve your chances greatly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads