• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jon Green Sportcoat

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beginnings of a TOB [Thing of Beauty] . . .

96074901.jpg

bk2p.jpg

83580899.jpg

- M

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think those are not going to be peaked lapels.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
wow, you're hwp!

sleevecap looks great, about 1-1/2 inches too long for my tastes.

Any particular reason why such a sedate fabric/pattern? And is that why you chose peak lapels?

Oh, and the front balance seems wonky in the last pic, but I truly don't know.

FIFY. 6' 1", 175 lbs.

Picture my wife holding camera at about buttoning point and walking around - Shoulder views are magnified and overangulated, and overall picture slightly askew.

Fabric pattern actually subdued. I am finding that I am replacing many of my RTW favorites from the 80's with bespoke. This one to replace a favorite FerrÃ
00a9.png
jacket.

35382095.jpg

It's just the beginning. The skeleton looks good, and the shavings begin!
fing02[1].gif

Originally Posted by Manton
I think those are not going to be peaked lapels.

Correctomundo Mang - notched lapels, barchetta welt breast & patch hips pockets, double vents.

- M

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why Jon Green, out of all the choices available in NYC?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
why Jon Green?

A simple case of beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Except for certain parts of a Liverano & Liverano jacket and one of Manton's more or less unknown London maker's creation for him, what Jon makes for me I find most fitting and beautiful.

More importantly, the tailoring/cordwaining world is full of "The Emperor's Tailors," and Jon is one whose words match what reality is. It is telling that many of his clients bring their grandchildren to have him make timeless clothes for them.

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
notched lapels, barchetta welt breast & patch hips pockets, double vents.

- M

Another one, in the elusive black-brown color; same styling.

dkbr.jpg

I must have spent a total of two hours over a few fittings looking at and rejecting "black-brown" swatches from various books.

Jon knows I respond emotionally to colors.

So, one day, he calls me up and says, "M, I found your black-brown."

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The night is young, wild life with my wife . . . how about this Gaja Costa Russi 2000 tonight?

jgsa.jpg

It's a go!

jgfa.jpg

Jon Green sportcoat, tie, pocket silk, trousers, socks
Alexander Kabbaz shirt
John Lobb Paris shoes

- M

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice M! Thank you for posting pics of the finished product. I know you are tall but the jacket is either too long or the buttoning stance is too high, I think. Might be the camera angle?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Nice M!

Thanks X!

Yes, although my wife is 5'10", it's respectfully known as the Scott Schuman camera angle (and foyer lighting
smile.gif
.)

Button stance: I am more function than form on this. I usually request that the button I use be level to the point where my upper and lower body would bend sideways, thus functioning as a fulcrum.

- M

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Nice M! Thank you for posting pics of the finished product. I know you are tall but the jacket is either too long or the buttoning stance is too high, I think. Might be the camera angle?

+1; very nice to see how it has come together.

Perhaps a long shot, but is that you in your avatar wearing this spotcoat?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker

It is a Giorgio Armani ad from the late 80's or early 90's, I can't remember. I just like how the lighting does this "good twin, evil twin" thing.

- M

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm kinda underwhelmed by the Green stuff, but perhaps its just the funky camera angles.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Green

I don't know how he does it, but he has certainly led me to shed many of the trendy things I have seen.

He has also certainly met my goals as a bespoke customer - relaxed look, timeless colors and proportions, and unobtrusive presentation.

His products are as sublime [or underwhelming if you prefer] as those JLP bespoke shoes.

Often, during our fittings, he or his tailor would say, "Now, that looks more like your jacket." I agree!

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads