• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mreggen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
Here's a poor mans watch
77152146358.JPG

What Seiko model is this?

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Good move, I am going to see what my local target has. J Crew has some good bands, although sometimes they can be pricey. Was it easy finding a band that fit correctly?

I'm pretty sure I just went on Amazon.com and typed in "18mm leather watch band".

youngScholar

Reaction score
DSCF1422.jpg

My Seiko 5 went down (with a fight). The Timex is the placeholder for now.

I'm guessing it would look better with a different band, like a NATO.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about what people do with budget ($100 or so) automatics. I've been tempted by a few of these watches, in particular a couple from Seiko's 5 Series, but I've never pulled the trigger because it seems to me that they're essentially disposable watches... it's cheaper to buy a new watch than have one serviced, right? I'm certainly no watch expert so I'm wondering if I'm missing something? If not, how much time can someone reasonably expect to get out of a budget automatic (let's say a Seiko 5) before it's time to replace it?

SD1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Okay so here's one of my poor man's watches. Lucian Piccard Automatic

1296855844597.jpg

I like this one. What model is it?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I've never bought a watch for more than 30 bucks. I understand why they are called "disposable," but they usually last me at least a couple years, and frankly I just love the way these simpler watches look, especially with a different watch strap. Maybe my taste will change in the future.

tumblr_l94ni7Yc2C1qz702do1_400.jpg

tumblr_letty9JzBh1qz702do1_400.jpg

tumblr_lad5g0N6Tv1qaoecbo1_400.png

(These aren't my pics)

Zach Graves

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
This is my first watch. I'm only 21 and on a very tight budget, but haters can hate. I think it looks very nice for $72, and from what I've heard it will last quite awhile with Seiko's in house movement.

SNK795K1-1.jpg

snk795k1-1.jpg

Quite elegant actually.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
If you're actually poor, I think the SMP is just fine and no need to "upgrade" to the PO for another G. It's a lovely watch, but I think what you've got (I have one myself although on the bracelet you see on the PO, which I definitely prefer) is a great watch.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
are digital watches considered a crime? I mean this is the 21st century. I was thinking about getting a G shock for use while canoeing/working out/hiking/etc.

Casio%5Cglx5600-1.jpg

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
DSCF1422.jpg

My Seiko 5 went down (with a fight). The Timex is the placeholder for now.

I'm guessing it would look better with a different band, like a NATO.

what model is this? I really like it

Mr. White

Reaction score
I inherited my father's shake-to-wind Waltham but it eventually died. A girlfriend gave me an Invicta with Roman numerals and very thin profile, and it became my go-to watch.

Just seems sorta phoney and pretentious (bling-bling) to wear a diver's watch if you're not a diver in mid-dive. My two cents.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Just seems sorta phoney and pretentious (bling-bling) to wear a diver's watch if you're not a diver in mid-dive. My two cents.

How about carrying a briefcase if you aren't hauling a stack of briefs on your way to court?

Sometimes things have aesthetic and/or practical uses beyond their original intentions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads