• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Doctor

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to try and pull it off with confidence and some well matched pieces. I'll tailor it very slim if needed and add horn buttons. Maybe a fit pic when I'm done
wink.gif
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think this would look best on a man broad of shoulder or girth, given the lapels. I know this is debatable though.
My proportions are really big - 6'7" with very broad shoulders/large drop and I like the aesthetic of wide lapels. That's partly the reason it caught my attention. I often wear fairly structured jackets to show some shape and detract from the ultra tall/skinny look which is a danger for me. When I get worried something is too adventurous I am often told I can get away with wearing anything because of my size... Not sure of the logic behind that though
sarcasm.gif
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
Those lapels!!!!!
uhoh.gif

That's what's so great about it!
Originally Posted by Blamm
- I'd make sure I have a perfectly fitting blue blazer and some type of gray SC before I would consider this - big lapels, funky patch pockets, and a suede shoulder - only if you've got the basics already
Thanks - I already have the basics well and truly covered (and the non-basics
biggrin.gif
). This one also has suede elbow patches.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
I'm 18 and don't have much money, but over the past few weeks I've changed my wardrobe quite a bit.
Bought a pair of walnut AE Strands (along with shoe trees),
Inexpensive Navy Blazer,
Few shirts,
Few chino's,
And a decent watch.

Is a grey SC next in my collection? I have a decent pair of black shoes as well to rotate with the AE's..

Grey SC...probably not the next purchase. Think about maybe another pair of brown shoes or two and some grey trousers rather than a sport coat. Or maybe save those pennies for a suit.

Farmgate

Reaction score
In Fight Club, there's a moment in the film where the narrator asks, "If you wake up in a different time , in a different place, could you also wake up as a different person?" At that moment, Ed Norton is on a conveyer belt walkway in an airport, dark suit. Coming in the opposite direction is Brad Pitt, stone gray casual suit, bright yellow shirt, and blood red Oliver Peoples sunglasses.

In my opinion, it's one of the coolest intros in film history.

Sorry, I don't have pics, but based upon that description, what do you think of the look of stone gray suit, yellow shirt? And if you've seen the film, is it really a stone gray cotton suit, or a seersucker?

Thanks for any reply.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Should one have the bottom button of a cardigan undone like with a vest? Is this a "rule?"

As with vests, and suit jackets: if it looks dumb buttoned, don't button it. If you can't tell, don't button it. The only rule is does it look good, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Originally Posted by PBristolJr
I'm 18 and don't have much money, but over the past few weeks I've changed my wardrobe quite a bit.
Is a grey SC next in my collection? I have a decent pair of black shoes as well to rotate with the AE's..

Maybe? Unless you're a Wes Anderson character or banking prodigy, I don't know that you need to be wearing suiting all day every day. Even if that's what you love, you're going to look super out of place in a bad way. Buy some cool jeans or band tees, spend the rest of the money on girls (or guys, if that's your bag) and recreational controlled substances. Wait until you have some income and a Milanese apartment to worry about your sport coat selection.

Originally Posted by Farmgate
Sorry, I don't have pics, but based upon that description, what do you think of the look of stone gray suit, yellow shirt? And if you've seen the film, is it really a stone gray cotton suit, or a seersucker?

No reason this would look bad, but some combos might look bad anyway. Use your judgment. You can't really name two colors and get a definitive response on how they'd look together. Cotton almost always looks better than seersucker.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stand by everything I said, but I just realized this is the MC "Ask a Question", not the SW&D "Ask a Question". No flaming or trolling intended.

k1d.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I kind of don't know the rule of thumb on ties and what not.. Can anyone give me suggestions on what tie to wear with this shirt?
images%5Feiec%5F35%5F35847%5F35847%5FWO6396%5Ftif%5F8e460b6f2b3d1890.jpg
For pants I'll be wearing W+H Khakis and shoes will be Alden Indy 403. Event - Optometry Convention. i also been eyeing wool socks for the longest time ever.. i was looking at kent wangs socks.. not too entirely sure whats a good brand.. can you guys also suggest some socks that will go well with the outfit? i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask if a tie clip would be appropriate in this case also.. if yes.. any brand you guys suggest?

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello,i have a question about site ehaberdasher.com and shopthefinest.com,do you have experience with them?is all the stuff there authentic? and also i don't know how appropriate is it to ask about it here,but do you know some websites like these for women?i want to buy a few gifts
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Hello,i have a question about site ehaberdasher.com and shopthefinest.com,do you have experience with them?is all the stuff there authentic?Thanks!

Yes, they're reliable. Both of them are forum's affiliates.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Yes, they're reliable. Both of them are forum's affiliates.

Thanks!

Does anybody of you know sites like ehaberdasher.com and shopthefinest.com for women?

mrscrouge

Reaction score
I am building up my wardrobe and have done some research around here regarding black dress shoes on a budget. I've found 2 models of Allen Edmonds on sale and I'm wondering which one will look best ( keeping in mind those will be my only/go to pair for a few months)

AE Birmingham (leaning towards these)
screenshot20110206at132.png

AE Cortland (Also like these however
laugh.gif
)
10df_1_bl.JPG

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the Birmingham.

yimmy

Reaction score
First post.

I am looking at getting my first suit and have a few questions. I have been lurking styleforum for awhile now and trying to digest all of the info. I am small but have an athletic build. I am looking for a 36s jacket and 30/31 pant, charcoal or navy, modern fit suit (26 y.o.). Trying to stay under $900 or so. Any thoughts on this suit...quality, fit..ect. Better options?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4400-LANVIN-Luca...item43a4e8c40b

Also, I have only tried on a few suits but the thing that always bothers me is the pants. I have muscular legs and am very particular with my pants. And I don't know how to describe how I would like my pants to be but almost a thicker material maybe. I have tried on a couple cheaper suits with very thin "old manish" pants as I call them and they just don't look good. I currently wear just cheap black dress pants from express and they look much better on me. I don't know if its because they are thicker, or have a more stiff look to them. Do I make any sense?
smile.gif
I realize they would need to be tailored but was wondering if there is anything in particular I should be looking for when I buy.

Creamy

Reaction score
I'm a student looking for some grey (charcoal, perhaps) slim fitting wool trousers to wear on semi-formal occasions such as nights out. Could someone suggest some to check out?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yimmy
First post.

I am looking at getting my first suit and have a few questions. I have been lurking styleforum for awhile now and trying to digest all of the info. I am small but have an athletic build. I am looking for a 36s jacket and 30/31 pant, charcoal or navy, modern fit suit (26 y.o.). Trying to stay under $900 or so. Any thoughts on this suit...quality, fit..ect. Better options?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4400-LANVIN-Luca...item43a4e8c40b

Also, I have only tried on a few suits but the thing that always bothers me is the pants. I have muscular legs and am very particular with my pants. And I don't know how to describe how I would like my pants to be but almost a thicker material maybe. I have tried on a couple cheaper suits with very thin "old manish" pants as I call them and they just don't look good. I currently wear just cheap black dress pants from express and they look much better on me. I don't know if its because they are thicker, or have a more stiff look to them. Do I make any sense?
smile.gif
I realize they would need to be tailored but was wondering if there is anything in particular I should be looking for when I buy.

Go to a store, try stuff on. Your build is 'normal', though it ain't exactly normal these days. The standard drop for a suit is 6 inches, so a 36s will have a 30 trouser.

But go to, say, brooks, and try on a suit or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads