• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
I read that American Eagle had a similar brand (low cost version of jcrew) which had great prices, goofy fits, and eventually went out of business. I recall there was a huge thread on SF about this brand as well. People were buying tons of stuff, and returning a very large percentage of their purchases.

Is canvas headed in that direction? It seems like it.

I think you mean Martin and Osa. And yes, hit or miss just like LEC. But I have a couple things from them that worked out well...

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Just got my shipment of stuff. I picked up a couple things from the sale section: the indigo jean jacket (fits pretty decent but would be too short if I was even an inch taller...have gotten a ton of compliments on it today), the black and red wool jacket is killer, and the cotton checked scarf. All in all, a very good haul for the price. Will definitely order again.

Qudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
Just got my shipment of stuff. I picked up a couple things from the sale section: the indigo jean jacket (fits pretty decent but would be too short if I was even an inch taller...have gotten a ton of compliments on it today), the black and red wool jacket is killer, and the cotton checked scarf. All in all, a very good haul for the price. Will definitely order again.

If you don't mind me asking, what sizes did you order and how big are you around your upper body? I'm thinking about picking up a few sweaters and outerwear pieces myself.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i received the oxfords i received a couple days ago. fit is slightly big but nothing too bad. probably will get a tailor to add darts to it or something, can't complain at $10 a pop. probably on par with uniqlo...

astris

Reaction score
Just got my order today. Notes:

Heritage Chambray:

Fit - slim. Slimmer than say a J.Crew chambray.
Red = pink or salmon/pink depending on the light.
Style almost seems more western than work. Definitely going back.

Heritage Oxford

Fit: didn't try on.
Washed black = medium gray. 3 pictures on the site fairly accurately reflect the color. The closeup side view is completely wrong.
Going back.

Shaker Shawl Collar

Fit: A little on the big side, but not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think this would look good fit slim. Sleeves are a bit long.
Dark Charcoal Gray = depressing gray. Needed gray, but I think it may look better in other colors.
Surprisingly heavy! Thick and seemingly well made. I'm probably keeping or exchanging for a different color.

Overall, not a successful purchase, but it was worth a try at the sale prices plus discount code.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I am now contemplating the reality that I am about to return just about every item I've ever tried from LEC.

And yet, the reviews on their website are uniformly very high. This, despite the overwhelming number of complaints about fit and fabric quality from the very target audience it seeks to cater to.

There is something out of whack here.

Factor Xll

Reaction score
With all the negativity around here lately, I would like to add, I've only returned 1 item from LEC in the past due to fit.

A quick look in my closet: 8 different shirts, 2 blazers, 1 vest.

They all fit great and I prefer the fit of LEC shirts over brooks brother's extra slim fits, however, BB's quality of course is better for 5x the price.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
There's a lot of weird sniping about body sizes, but I see very little trashing of LEC. There is a lot of frustration over the inconsistent, sometimes even bizarre sizing from item to item in LEC.

rfpgh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I think you mean Martin and Osa. And yes, hit or miss just like LEC. But I have a couple things from them that worked out well...

I only found out about Martin and Osa when they were going out of business, but I think they were significantly more expensive than LEC, weren't they? Basically trying to compete with J Crew directly rather than doing something similar at a lower price point.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rfpgh
I only found out about Martin and Osa when they were going out of business, but I think they were significantly more expensive than LEC, weren't they? Basically trying to compete with J Crew directly rather than doing something similar at a lower price point.

Yeah. I kind of thought of them as a BR to Gap relationship, as they were the upscale brand of AE. But they did focus more on casual clothes (i.e.: not dressy office wear like BR), and seemed to have kind of a European spin on the J Crew Americana aesthetic. Sounds weird, and some of their stuff was kind of weird looking. But I have some selvedge jeans that are outstanding (bought on sale for something like $40), some nice jackets, and a few great shirts. I would say retail pricing was on a par with J Crew. They had a lot of sales, though, even before the end, where you could get things at better discounts than J Crew sales.

Qudi

Reaction score
Anyone have a discount couponfor LE? Didn't see the 30% off one yesterday until it expired.
frown.gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The recent sale + coupon stack forced my hand to give a couple things a try.

• Shaker Shawl Cardigan: A good pick-up at the price and if the style suits you. I prefer the over-sized fit, since most cardigans look strange slimmed up. Even then, it's not that big. I got a medium and I'm usually in between that and a large in a lot of brands. Fit on the shoulders is good and the body isn't billowy enough to look odd unbuttoned, which is how I plan to wear it.

Fabric is thick and soft and I could see this being a suitable replacement for a jacket once the snow starts to vanish. The heft and softness reminds me of an H&M zip knit I bought last summer, which has held up well.

I probably wouldn't splurge for this at full price (and obviously, I didn't), but for $20, it seems thick and sturdy enough to fill out the gaps in your knit rotation if you don't have the scratch to have your knit lineup comprised of A-caliber pieces.

• Garment Dye Oxford: This was more of a throw-in to satiate my curiosity than anything else. That in mind, these are easily on par with what Uniqlo is offering these days. I was expecting something that was in dire need of tailoring that felt high flammable based on some of the stuff I've read here. But the fabric is surprisingly smooth and the fit, while not slim, isn't so generous that I couldn't wear this off the rack (in a medium, for what it's worth).

I'll end up taking this to the tailor to get it slimmed up a bit, but I'd say it's cut slimmer than something from J. Crew and probably similarly to Uniqlo. The collar is a bit small, which doesn't make for much of a collar roll. However, Uniqlo has a similar issue with their oxfords. Buttons are thick and sewn on tightly.

Unless this thing falls apart the first time I wash it, I'll absolutely sign off on these things at what I paid ($10 and change). If I had more use for oxford shirts, I'd probably pick up a couple more of these in other colors.

Neither piece is a world-beater, but the stuff seems like it would serve well for people who maybe need some biz casual-type stuff in the queue, but don't want to break the bank doing so.

Qudi

Reaction score
20$ off 75$ and free shipping with THINKSPRING PIN 1966. Just remember to size down. :x

mas_cerveza

Reaction score
I got a handwritten thank you note from LEC and I'm so surprised at how specific and personal it was. People have said this but I want to reiterate, this is what you call customer service!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads