• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice suits, but geared towards the older crowd with shoulder padding and wider than should be shoulders.

I picked one up from Neiman's Last Call, Mainline Madison model for $400, navy with a subtle pinstripe... the only problem was I had to have the padding and shoulders resized

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about eight HF Mainline suits (Madison, Boardroom, etc.) acquired over the past eight years. All purchased on sale at NM, Saks, Dillards, etc. Great material, good construction (fully canvased) and fit me to a T with a little tailoring. All were purchased on sale around $400 each in my hard to find 39R size. Say away from the LTD line. HF offers the best bang for the buck in OTR suits.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
You can routinely find them as low as $300-400 online or at discount outlets. Their Presidential line is also superb.

I really like the brand. Sure, the styles are usually boring, but I only buy one at a time, and they make plenty of individual hot suits. They're canvassed, and oftentimes hand-stitched, as well. The Presidential line is as good as anything out there.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickey make very good no nonsense suits. Styling is traditional, quality can be excellent. I rate them highly. The HF made Burberry suits are also pretty good.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found one for $500 at the Rack. The trouser waist seems to be roomy in the leg and thigh but then go waaaay in at the waist.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll put it this way. If you're looking for a high quality, traditional, semi boring fit, suit that can be bought for cheap... I'd look for Hickey Freeman on sale.

jim10

Reaction score
If you hate pleats as much as I do, good luck finding one of their suits with a plain front.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The article doesn't mention the fact that the designer who was responsible for developing the fits for the Phineas Cole line (among others) is now also with HF.

Just sayin.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw one at nordstrom rack. HF limited collection navy originally $995 for $495. Thoughts?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
My opinion is that any OTR suit is crap! With access to dirt-cheap tailors in Asia, not to mention the quality (but pricey) tailoring available here in the States, you can get a made-to-measure suit for less than or equal to OTR that will be far superior to any mass-produced OTR product.

When people buy OTR they do so because they a) care more about the label than anything else or b) want to justify their previous behavior by continuing to do what they've always done.

Hickey Freeman, Canali, Armani, Brioni, or ravioli are just labels produced for the masses who value goods by price and not worth.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
My opinion is that any OTR suit is crap! With access to dirt-cheap tailors in Asia, not to mention the quality (but pricey) tailoring available here in the States, you can get a made-to-measure suit for less than or equal to OTR that will be far superior to any mass-produced OTR product.

When people buy OTR they do so because they a) care more about the label than anything else or b) want to justify their previous behavior by continuing to do what they've always done.

Hickey Freeman, Canali, Armani, Brioni, or ravioli are just labels produced for the masses who value goods by price and not worth.

My bad. I was unaware that there are different levels of tailors and suitmakers and that sometimes companies may elect to cut costs and quality at the same time.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
My opinion is that any OTR suit is crap!
I'm not in agreement with this statement at all. I am almost a PERFECT 46L. The HF Madison fits me extremely well, with only minor modifications. The suits are very well made and can often be found at very generous discounts. Now if you are NOT near a standard size, then your opinion makes sense. But for many of the rest of us it does not.

Oh, and BTW, I placed THREE orders with one of those "dirt-cheap" tailors in Asia for custom shirts and was exceedingly disappointed. You'd think after my repeated (four) face-to-face meetings with their tailor they could make me a shirt that fits. Nope. What a waste of time/money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads