• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the price increases were covered weeks ago in this very thread. not sure why everyone's making a big deal again
Originally Posted by FENWAY
Less debate...more pics
aldsnuff.jpg

I picked those up from The Shoe Mart not too long ago. They were seconds but you can't tell. so comfortable with the crepe sole

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfull
Attributing a price increase to a union, how is that union slander?

Only one of the factors of production, my good fellow.

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Only one of the factors of production, my good fellow.

That doesn't explain how its SLANDER.

Unions have needs, and exist to take care of their members. Cost of labor goes up, cost of product goes up. Period. There's nothing slanderous about it, that's just the way things work! I don't understand the need to start a fight over it.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Oh, and BTW:

Slander - spoken
Libel - written

So the nonsensical debate is about whether this is libel, not slander (RandomKoreanDude - this is first year stuff!)

More pics please!

tlieu

Reaction score
Price increase in due to Hipster in demand, people. Alden shoes are a trend right now whether you like it or not. Just look and all the Mens Hipster stores like Union Made Goods, Oi Polloi, the Bureau Shop...American Heritage Hipster wear.
Just bought some Alden Indy's made in China. Problem solved.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
lol @ made every attempt to avoid

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
Price increase in due to Hipster in demand, people. Alden shoes are a trend right now whether you like it or not. Just look and all the Mens Hipster stores like Union Made Goods, Oi Polloi, the Bureau Shop...American Heritage Hipster wear.
Just bought some Alden Indy's made in China. Problem solved.

Yeah, this seems like a supply demand issue. Demand for Alden shoes has shot up. I'm sure the workers at the factory are demanding more pay for higher hours worked. Plus, skilled shoe labor is a limited pool here (and competition is heating up as brands scale up production). Union or not, labor costs are gonna go up. They are being passed on through price increases. Given the popularity of this thread, I'm sure Alden will do fine

mtc2000

Reaction score
Assuming the retail price increase is around $20-$40. The wholesale price is probably in the range of 40~60% of retail, so the actual revenue increase at the factory is in the teen's. Down the food chain, not very much increase at the craftsman's level, I would think.

Ain't the retailers benefit from the price hike most after all?

Sorry, Tom, don't ban me from your stores.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I know Alden SF can check to see if Alden DC has any onhand.

Did you try the Alden NYC store?

alden dc had them. just ordered. thanks

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As it has been said already, the 5% increase was covered on this very thread at least a week or two ago. If you don't like it, don't buy them. If you don't care, but want to speculate as to the reason for the increase then you are just wasting your key strokes because noone really cares to read your conjure, as there are multiple variables involved. And if you really want to ***** why don't you look at the price of these shoes overseas where they cost double.

So, let's get back to more pics of these gorgeous shoes, and appreciating what we all can agree on are high quality, fantastic shoes with first class craftsmanship.

harrythedog

Reaction score
when your crack dealer tells you the price is going up, do you speculate as to why? no, you pay!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you comparing Aldens to crack? if so that is not too far off for some people here

ChrisGold

Reaction score
So I'm wearing my new whiskey caps yesterday and I'm looking at them thinking how much I love this color, so I log onto the TheShoeMart, click on the NST - and this morning they are at my door. Now that's a responsive crack dealer!

(And yes, I think whiskey seems to be getting a little darker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads